If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 10, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #17,116 of 19,243
My apologies, I really don’t mean to offend but simply exploring solutions. Hope you get the help you seek on here :) 💚
None taken...no need to apologize man...I'm just trying to put things in perspective...OTOH, you can be a 6 month member with a lot of experience with IEM, and that is exactly whom I'm trying to get help from...people with more experience than me with IEM...

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #17,117 of 19,243
Adding an impedance adapter doesn't add to the warmth, but it will give you the upper mid and treble shine you need.
So the adapter should be 23ohms, or 75 ohms...???? Which will give you a little higher boost on the highs...

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #17,118 of 19,243
So, as I got even more and more frustrated with Shure Olives (too dirty with earwax and while liking the bass, still don't feel ety enough), I decided to get the Yalokin branded dual flange eartips on ebay. After trying them out, the isolation is a bit less, but just as good as Olives. The bass is way more similar to original Ety tips. But the con is that the material isn't really the most comfortable, but I'll get used to it (and hopefully more reliable than the original ones). And of course, they're really cheap! It's like 15 dollars for 8 pairs from USA to Indonesia. I wish ety had an official distributor in my country so I can actually use the original ones :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #17,119 of 19,243
i tested this Acoustune AET16 tips for my ER4XR because i saw that the output nozzle diameter is small, similar to the original triple flange, and i'm happy to report that it doesn't muck up the treble response and sounds similar to the triple flange.
my usual dual flange eartips that i got from cheap Yotaphone IEMs also sounds similar to the original triple flange, but i have to make smaller bore adapter to make them fit the Ety's small nozzle, and also the AET16 is much more stable in keeping seal when moving (the Yota's tips sometimes break seal).
other tips that I've tried (like the shure's and westone's) fit fine, but all of them changed the sound too much for my liking.

overall I'm quite happy with this finding. i will buy some more for my ER4PT (and maybe try a smaller size to see how it goes)

20210828_223607-01.jpeg20210828_223644-01.jpeg
How's the isolation with this? Kinda curious, but quite expensive to get in my country. Right now only using Yalokin branded tips on ebay.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #17,121 of 19,243
no one said anything to convice me to buy one.there are alot of good iem's for $200
Well, ety is the most isolating one, the most accurate one (if you can change your mindset about the quantity of bass of course), and probably the most modable one (many cables on aliexpress and ebay, tips selection for experimentations, and really really eq able without distortions). It comes with some cons though, like deep insertion might need some getting used to, the cable is so microphonic if not worn over ear, and in some countries, it's rather hard to get. But with 200 dollars, no one can match ety's goodness. Perhaps Shure Aonic 3, but I haven't tried that out yet.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #17,122 of 19,243
So, as I got even more and more frustrated with Shure Olives (too dirty with earwax and while liking the bass, still don't feel ety enough), I decided to get the Yalokin branded dual flange eartips on ebay. After trying them out, the isolation is a bit less, but just as good as Olives. The bass is way more similar to original Ety tips. But the con is that the material isn't really the most comfortable, but I'll get used to it (and hopefully more reliable than the original ones). And of course, they're really cheap! It's like 15 dollars for 8 pairs from USA to Indonesia. I wish ety had an official distributor in my country so I can actually use the original ones :frowning2:
This is a family after all so I’m more than happy to source them for you and send them over from UK :)
Just PM if you like and I’ll pop them in the post sometime soon when I send out parcels to other friends around the world 💚

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #17,123 of 19,243
This is a family after all so I’m more than happy to source them for you and send them over from UK :)
Just PM if you like and I’ll pop them in the post sometime soon when I send out parcels to other friends around the world 💚
Whoa, thank you for your offer. But now that I've got 8 pairs of yalokin already, maybe if I get too annoyed with its material, or I already use up all of them, I'll contact you again :) but if this ends up being more durable than ety's, I'm not sure what I will do then :D Once again, thank you!

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #17,124 of 19,243
So the adapter should be 23ohms, or 75 ohms...???? Which will give you a little higher boost on the highs...
The higher the impedance value, the higher the upper mid and treble boosted.
You can find the impedance value that best suits your treble taste.
I added a 75 ohm impedance adapter from Dunu to the ER3SE. As a result, the upper mid and treble have increased quite dramatically, but are still slightly warmer than ER4SR.

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #17,125 of 19,243
How's the isolation with this? Kinda curious, but quite expensive to get in my country. Right now only using Yalokin branded tips on ebay.

quite good, i don't know how it would compare to the triple flanges (as i can't quite have a stable seal on one of my ears using that one), but using my etys with the AET16 compared to my other IEMs, the Ety still have better isolation. it's a bit expensive if buying it in their packs (of 3 pairs). Luckily in my country (Indonesia) there are sellers that sells them in one pair, so more tolerable

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #17,126 of 19,243
Well, ety is the most isolating one, the most accurate one (if you can change your mindset about the quantity of bass of course), and probably the most modable one (many cables on aliexpress and ebay, tips selection for experimentations, and really really eq able without distortions). It comes with some cons though, like deep insertion might need some getting used to, the cable is so microphonic if not worn over ear, and in some countries, it's rather hard to get. But with 200 dollars, no one can match ety's goodness. Perhaps Shure Aonic 3, but I haven't tried that out yet.
The ER4/ER3 are pretty much proof price doesn't equal performance. Never got the Single BA stigma it got which a lot reviewers preach as fact?, The ER3/ER4 sound like a planar headphone and it shows when you add 8db 75Hz low shelf on the ER4SR. The fit the biggest hit or miss for them, I've noticed most use It as excuse to why there a 3/5 by using tips that don't fit there ears. If I get poor seal they sound like weird & peaky with roll off on both ends.

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #17,127 of 19,243
Ah man, I don’t have anything special to say other than that after testing nearly hundreds of IEMs in the last 13 and a bit years, I now know that Endgame IEM is a real thing.
May the ER4SR live on forever!

Found the best sound to come from my macbook when equalized by the Boom 2 app. The sound is INSANE! Never knew how incredible these etys can be for EDM 🙈
The bass texture and detail is out of this wooorld!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #17,128 of 19,243
Yeah, Same with Metal/rock the ER4/ER3 can reproduce bass without it tripping up like a lot dynamic headphones do & It surreal hearing so many hidden things that went ignored because other DD headphones i had masked a lot stuff. The ER2SE with brown filters is the same as the ER3/ER4 it doesn't sound like a DD headphone at all, I'm very tempted to try a planar headphone like the Sundara or the HE400se.

I also loved when I used to post on /r/Headphones in 2018 ~ 2020 a lot of folk would meltdown if you told them the ER4SR is pretty much performs like planar headphone, I don't get how the HD6xx smearing the sound because It can't cope when pushed is realistic/natural sound?. That like me saying a early 1080p60 HDTV with bad lag & colour quality is better than a 1440p/4K at 60fps with 2ms lag.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #17,129 of 19,243
Yeah, Same with Metal/rock the ER4/ER3 can reproduce bass without it tripping up like a lot dynamic headphones do & It surreal hearing so many hidden things that went ignored because other DD headphones i had masked a lot stuff. The ER2SE with brown filters is the same as the ER3/ER4 it doesn't sound like a DD headphone at all, I'm very tempted to try a planar headphone like the Sundara or the HE400se.

I also loved when I used to post on /r/Headphones in 2018 ~ 2020 a lot of folk would meltdown if you told them the ER4SR is pretty much performs like planar headphone, I don't get how the HD6xx smearing the sound because It can't cope when pushed is realistic/natural sound?. That like me saying a early 1080p60 HDTV with bad lag & colour quality is better than a 1440p/4K at 60fps with 2ms lag.
You are soooo right about the planar comparison. I’ve had the privilege of comparing the 4SE to some great midrange monsters and there is no way I can tell a significant enough difference to choose those sets over this one. There is only one thing that I miss a little on these and this is being extremely picky, and it’s a slightly wider soundstage. Having said that since this is basically an IEM that produces a near-perfect representation of what the artist intended, if the recording was made binaurally or anything similar then the 4SE play it back sublimely. So in a way I miss the wider soundstage but in other ways I don’t, because I know it isn’t being faked.

If anybody has a killed planar by the way, just play Danse Macabre on the 4SE (can’t speak for other etys) and on your best planar. You’ll see what I and Blackwoof mean. Not only do you get the lush midrange but the transition from the upper bass through the mid to lower treble is flawless.
Anyways I best stop now before I get blamed for overstating the performance :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #17,130 of 19,243
I have to say though I think getting custom moulds is probably the way to go. The only downside is they etys no longer sit flush but it’s amazing being able to remove an earphone out of one ear and have a conversation without having to dislodge anything each time. Also the isolation and sound quality are supreme.

just make sure when u get it done to mention you want an open mouth impression that will go slightly beyond the second bend. Very important. Get it as close to your eardrum as you can because it will enhance sound, isolation and therefore help with hearing protection much more.
Well, well. I recently came back into the Ety fold with a pair of the Ety ER4XR (I go way back to the 6ER days, and purchased my first Ety ER4P in the mid-2000s), got that great $129 price a few months back. So I was fiddling around with tips (the small foam tips work well for me), and also have used the Shure "olives" in the past. But suddenly I realized I had not one, but two pair of Westone custom tips made for the W40 or one of those models years ago. They are soft silicone, not hardshell like the JH5 customs I used to own (one of the drivers failed after 6 years; loved those phones) And while the look clunky, I only wear them at home. I have joined the true wireless group for on the go listening.

Anyway, yes customs are the way to go. I think I paid $129 for these tips. They made two sets (they could not find the first set, made another, then found the originals) and said no problem, keep them both. Since I have not owned a Westone in years, I put them in the drawer of no return, or so I thought. Remembered I had them and this reminded me to give them a try. Once they are in place, sound is amazing.

thumbnail_IMG_6581.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back