If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #17,056 of 19,243
After trying more music & trying to fix pressure in my left ear. Despite the ER2XR/SE using DD's I would never once thought they were using a Single DD. The ER2XR with brown filters and the bass cut to 4XR levels, They sound like a 2BA or 2 way hybrid aiming at warm neutral. They blow away anything I got at £380.
They're that good? Weird they don't seem hyped much compared to all the Chifi offerings like the Aria's. I guess the ER2 has been around for a while. Does anyone know where I can get them in Asia? And if there's a cable with a mic and remote for it?

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #17,057 of 19,243
Sep 28, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #17,058 of 19,243
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #17,059 of 19,243
Wow, lots of ... charts and graphs!! Anyway, I finally caved and bought the ER2SE to compare with my ER4XR, hoping that it will have more "fun" sounding with the dynamic driver rather than BA. Alas, not so for me. IMO, the ER2SE is incredibly close to and about 90% of the ER4XR. The missing 10% is upper range sparkle, spatial depth, and realism.

The ER2SE / XR is a great bang-for-the-buck value, but I don't need nearly the same sound from 2 different earphones. So I will likely be selling the ER2SE and picking up the Etymotion Bluetooth cable for my ER4XR.
probabbly er2xr will be more fun sounding?

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #17,060 of 19,243
My er4xr has just been reshelled to customs c/o our local ciem maker and I can't wait to get it and have a listen. received_4774085622601730.jpeg

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #17,061 of 19,243
My er4xr has just been reshelled to customs c/o our local ciem maker
Very interesting and looks pretty cool.
Who is your local CIEM maker? Website?

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #17,062 of 19,243
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #17,063 of 19,243
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #17,064 of 19,243
Do they have a "real" website? or is the only way to contact them is through FB?
Even an email would be better than using FB messages.....
That I am not sure, but seems like we could only contact them via facebook or IG.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #17,066 of 19,243
Not sure I understand, is it a matter of having one resistor to the ground vs having one on each channel(so 2 in the adapter)?

In any case, I'm curious. I almost never bothered testing more than 2 or 3 values on my IEMs, being already convinced in my head that the results would keep the same direction based on the impedance curve. So it could also be that I missed a very real behavior all this time. For all I know(don't remember), I got measurements like yours sometimes and discarded them thinking I had messed up with some contacts or whatever.
Or maybe there is something about the amp acting up at certain loads and voltages? Or some resistors get hot even with this little signal and the specs change rapidly as the sweep goes through?(I'm totally fishing).

My point is, doubt me at least as much as you do the adapters :wink:. And thank you for looking into it so fast and being so open minded.
I'll go dig into my stuff and test my old ER4SR, but maybe not this weekend because, life.

First of all, these graphs are very fun. I'm glad folks are digging in and making measurements.

Testing with adapters is cool, but if you're trying to measure discrete resistance steps, you might find it more reliable to minimize variables by trying one of two methods:

1.) Decade resistor box where you can clearly define the resistance in steps.
2.) Setup a breadboard and put in resistors for each step you want to measure. 1% metal film resistors are cheap. You can probably find a nice assortment kit on eBay.

With either setup, it's generally a good idea to use a meter to double-check the resistance before making the measurement. If you use a breadboard, you can add other components as well just to see what happens. With the breadboard method, you will probably want to keep the wiring of it fairly neat to avoid introducing noise.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #17,067 of 19,243
They're that good? Weird they don't seem hyped much compared to all the Chifi offerings like the Aria's. I guess the ER2 has been around for a while. Does anyone know where I can get them in Asia? And if there's a cable with a mic and remote for it?

It because many seem to think being 11mm = massive bass, The ER2 pretty much does all that with 5.8mm DD's.

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #17,070 of 19,243
I just received a pair of ER4XR and wow. I'm listening to Bach cantatas and the clarity really is astounding. I'm enjoying the hell out of these. The bass is fine in most things. I gave Saint-Saëns organ symphony a quick listen and was impressed by, again, the clarity. I could hear the organ remarkably distinctly. Perhaps it lacked a bit of sub-bass power, but I can live with it. And that's one of the few pieces of music I can think of where that might be a requirement.

Edit: I've tried more tracks and find that the bass is everything I could ask for. I just tried Rush, The Police, Sylvan Esso, and Björk. Very different stuff. But all with good bass lines and drums. All very satisfying. Now I'm listening to Maggie Rogers and really digging it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back