If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #16,816 of 19,203
curiosity, I just tried using the filter removal tool to take one filter out then put it back in

Will it damage the filter? how do i know
The filter membranes are placed right in the middle of the filter barrel. To inspect them you will need to point it to a bright light source (a torch light) and you can see if the light goes through unobstructed or not. Unbroken membrane would not allow ALL light pass through (it should be slightly shadowy)

If it's already in the barrel, just give them a listen and if you busted the membranes then you get a super bright output

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #16,817 of 19,203
The filter membranes are placed right in the middle of the filter barrel. To inspect them you will need to point it to a bright light source (a torch light) and you can see if the light goes through unobstructed or not. Unbroken membrane would not allow ALL light pass through (it should be slightly shadowy)

If it's already in the barrel, just give them a listen and if you busted the membranes then you get a super bright output
Andy EF u have any song to test?

May 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #16,818 of 19,203
I am considering the purchase of an IEM in the price range between 500-1200 €.

I am mainly looking at Moondrop S8, ThieAudio Monarch, Sony IER-M9, Campfire Andromeda 2020, UM MEST OG.

Has anyone been able to make comparisons between these and Etymotic ER4XR?

Are they much better? Do they represent a clear upgrade?

May 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #16,819 of 19,203
I've had my 4XR a year and a half and absolutely love them. For the longest time I played them without EQ but recently I started testing out with an app called eqMac on my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro and it is pretty remarkable what happens.

I compare it with photography which is my main obsession, specifically analogue photography. The idea when scanning film is to get a "flat" or "linear" scan, which means a boring, quite life-less and pale scan. The photo doesn't look very appealing at all. But such scans are they very best for post-processing in order to bring out all the masses of information that was caught on the negative or transparency.

I compare the experience with the 4XR and EQ to this. They sound flat, boring and "cramped" or "small" without EQ. Not quite unpleasant but they're definitely not the centre of the party. By pushing a few EQ sliders they begin to truly live, the sound eeeexxpaaaaaands immensely. It's a massive difference to my ears. I've re-listened to lots and lots of tracks and everywhere there are details I have never heard before. It's unbelievably crisp and clear. And the bass, well let's just say there's a lot if one wants it, tight and oomphy too.

There is only one little thing I don't like so much, that it's difficult to tell the right and left IEM apart. Are there different-coloured tips anywhere? I prefer the triple-flanges.

Cheers
Philip

May 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #16,820 of 19,203
There is only one little thing I don't like so much, that it's difficult to tell the right and left IEM apart.

That was discussed a short time ago in this thread.
Some suggestions were:

• Colouring the ER4XR text with red and blue felt tip pens.
• Placing coloured electrical tape on each cable/shell.
• Putting small, coloured o-rings/rubber bands onto the cable.

May 21, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #16,822 of 19,203
If you dislike the BA timbre, BA speed and the extra portability is not important [arguably the key points of the ER4 next to its accuracy]
I never understood the people bragging about a DD's which are bad for both speed/detail/unrealistic timbre. It why I stopped using my ER2XR it felt like always hit a wall detail wise and the bad decay(driver rest) would show up on EDM/Metal with note smearing. It is like me giving a bad review to a 4K OLED for being too detailed and then hyping a 1080p HDTV that can't cope with action films without looking like a mess.

I must be the few that actually can still enjoy trash fi black metal since the ER4's detail makes easy to hear what going on without ear fatigue like I got on many DD headphones.

May 21, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #16,823 of 19,203
I never understood the people bragging about a DD's which are bad for both speed/detail/unrealistic timbre. It why I stopped using my ER2XR it felt like always hit a wall detail wise and the bad decay(driver rest) would show up on EDM/Metal with note smearing. It is like me giving a bad review to a 4K OLED for being too detailed and then hyping a 1080p HDTV that can't cope with action films without looking like a mess.

I must be the few that actually can still enjoy trash fi black metal since the ER4's detail makes easy to hear what going on without ear fatigue like I got on many DD headphones.
ER2XR pretty much hit the limit for DD speed at which I rated it 8/10 and my ER4SR at 9/10. From my own perspective DD offers something that I can appreciate which is the rounded smoothness for highly aggressive highs. However ultimately I still prefer electrostatic and single BA for my Metal indulgence. Electrostatic I rate at 10/10 for speed and zero distortion. My daily listening are at 70% Metal anywhere from highly technical Russian Circles/Pelican to obscure/Lo-fi Black Metal/Industrial, of which all of them demand top notch transients handling especially those with euphonic layers of guitars tremolo and blast-beat drums. On the other hand I have also develop a liking for the Magnetic Planars and enjoying the speed and resolution they offer, better coherence vs DD, however notably they lacked the velvety dynamics of electrostatics

May 21, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #16,824 of 19,203
ER2XR pretty much hit the limit for DD speed at which I rated it 8/10 and my ER4SR at 9/10. From my own perspective DD offers something that I can appreciate which is the rounded smoothness for highly aggressive highs. However ultimately I still prefer electrostatic and single BA for my Metal indulgence. Electrostatic I rate at 10/10 for speed and zero distortion. My daily listening are at 70% Metal anywhere from highly technical Russian Circles/Pelican to obscure/Lo-fi Black Metal/Industrial, of which all of them demand top notch transients handling especially those with euphonic layers of guitars tremolo and blast-beat drums. On the other hand I have also develop a liking for the Magnetic Planars and enjoying the speed and resolution they offer, better coherence vs DD, however notably they lacked the velvety dynamics of electrostatics
I agree - each transducer technology has its pros and cons. The final judgement is based on: technicalities of the specific headphone/IEM, synergy with the source and amp, and synergy with the music genre. And let's not forget musical taste!
@Blackwoof some people have different ear structure and other physiological differences that would end up with them liking stuff you don't and vice versa. There is no right and wrong (for the most part) in this hobby.

May 22, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #16,825 of 19,203
some people have different ear structure and other physiological differences that would end up with them liking stuff you don't and vice versa. There is no right and wrong (for the most part) in this hobby.
I get liking the ER2SE/DD, but I was meaning the ones who seem to have beef with the BA tech and act like there opinions are fact. I find the ER4XR than the ER4SR, Since I only have a ER4S i got while back i just use a 4.5db low shelf at 90Hz on It.

May 22, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #16,826 of 19,203
and act like there opinions are fact

Too much of that here. Careless phrasing can be triggering. You get to have a thick skin and ignore casual arrogance after a while.

May 22, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #16,828 of 19,203
At least this place has tamed down, /r/headphones right now is a total mess.
Yeah, and if you want witty memes, then the reddit forum is the place for you.

May 22, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #16,829 of 19,203
I wonder from who Etymotic is contracted on their foam ear tips. I want to get a bunch of non-ear tip foam inserts for general isolation. Could it be 3M? I like that it isolates so well.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #16,830 of 19,203
I wonder from who Etymotic is contracted on their foam ear tips. I want to get a bunch of non-ear tip foam inserts for general isolation. Could it be 3M? I like that it isolates so well.

I don't know who's making the Ety foam tips, but my favourite in-ear hearing protection are the 3M 1100 as well as Howard Leigh MAX when it comes to maximum isolation. The Shure Olive foam tips are also super comfortable, easy to insert and isolate very well, hence I once modified them to standalone hearing protection using some hot glue, toothpicks and speaker wires (as I couldn't find any cord around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back