If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 15, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #16,801 of 19,198
Is anyone using the Er2xr with Apple dongle? I think it's underpowered and I need to get a bit more powerful dac-amp like Shanling UA2 or the Hidizs S9.

Yes, I've used the ER2XR with the Apple USB-C DAC. In fact I find it even too powerful.

May 15, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #16,802 of 19,198
I don't know what you are hearing, but the XM2/XM3 are not even in the same ballpark with the ER3/4 series with regards to sound quality.

Noise cancelling is fine on the XM2/3, actually one of the best in class, but they can't compete with the isolation of the ety - be it foam tips (I use Comply) or the triple flange. Saying this with 300+ hours in the air every year :)

May 15, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #16,803 of 19,198
I still don't like the ER4's sound. Still find it a bit thin sounding with lacking dynamics. Just really stiff sounding. I don't see how this iem is called accurate. Perhaps tonally, but imaging isn't great, and just really dull sounding. I got it for the isolation, but I'd rather just go back to my ANC full-sized XM3 for convenience and no ear rape. ER4 feels less convenient since you got to insert it a certain way everytime and you have to clip the little thingy if you don't want microphonics. It's just not all that convenient.

Is there an iem on the same level of isolation that is much more convenient? With good dynamics to the sound? Any full sized even the XM3 has better sound than this.

I think it's the single BA ssound that seems not dynamic and narrow sounding. I wish there was a good dynamic driver with same level of isolation.

What are your fav iems and genre of music you like, that made come to this conclusion?

May 15, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #16,804 of 19,198
Is anyone using the Er2xr with Apple dongle? I think it's underpowered and I need to get a bit more powerful dac-amp like Shanling UA2 or the Hidizs S9.
I'm using ER2SE with apple dongle and E1DA 9038s.

With Apple dongle: sound is forward, gentle, natural.

With E1DA: more spacious, detailed and dynamic but a touch aggressive in the treble.

Although, at this moment I prefer the sound with the E1DA DAC, I still miss the gentleness of the apple dongle.

So yes, I would recommend you to try with a higher tier DAC. Theses iems deserve it, but which one? I'm still looking, unfortunately...

May 15, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #16,805 of 19,198
I'm using ER2SE with apple dongle and E1DA 9038s.

With Apple dongle: sound is forward, gentle, natural.

With E1DA: more spacious, detailed and dynamic but a touch aggressive in the treble.

Although, at this moment I prefer the sound with the E1DA DAC, I still miss the gentleness of the apple dongle.

So yes, I would recommend you to try with a higher tier DAC. Theses iems deserve it, but which one? I'm still looking, unfortunately...
Thanks a lot. I'll try to audition the UA2 first. Any balanced cable recommendation? The Ety seems expensive.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #16,806 of 19,198
I'd really appreciate it. I was considering to get the Fdx1 as an upgrade over the Er2xr. Would like to know your opinion on that. If the Fdx1 gets out of the list, only one iems will remain under $300 is Blessing 2.
Its more a matter of tuning than anything else. I think the technical performance is better on the fdx1 but I just value the tuning and bass weight of the er2xr more. If you prefer more relaxed mids by comparison a little brighter treble (depending on filter) and don't mind the cooler sound and 4k peak (which seemed to bother me more than most) I think its a solid upgrade but it might be better to save up for a b2/dusk granted I never heard those iems

May 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #16,807 of 19,198
I still don't like the ER4's sound. Still find it a bit thin sounding with lacking dynamics. Just really stiff sounding. I don't see how this iem is called accurate. Perhaps tonally, but imaging isn't great, and just really dull sounding. I got it for the isolation, but I'd rather just go back to my ANC full-sized XM3 for convenience and no ear rape. ER4 feels less convenient since you got to insert it a certain way everytime and you have to clip the little thingy if you don't want microphonics. It's just not all that convenient.

Is there an iem on the same level of isolation that is much more convenient? With good dynamics to the sound? Any full sized even the XM3 has better sound than this.

I think it's the single BA ssound that seems not dynamic and narrow sounding. I wish there was a good dynamic driver with same level of isolation.
Odd conclusion from my point of view, which is one that loves detailing. I have spent to much time comparing the ER4XR and XM3. I agree that headphones may sound more expansive, especially when their bass is seriously boosted like the XM3. Any ER is going to sound thin by comparison just because of this.

While I would second that the XM3 rivals Shure SE 315's for instance, more expanse vs more detail; that is a couple of steps down in sound quality (resolving qualities, seperation, realism) from the ER4.

You could argue that placement on the head of headphones matters and is also inconvenient. I agree the fit of the ER4 is demanding, how long have you tried them?

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #16,808 of 19,198
Its more a matter of tuning than anything else. I think the technical performance is better on the fdx1 but I just value the tuning and bass weight of the er2xr more. If you prefer more relaxed mids by comparison a little brighter treble (depending on filter) and don't mind the cooler sound and 4k peak (which seemed to bother me more than most) I think its a solid upgrade but it might be better to save up for a b2/dusk granted I never heard those iems
The b2 dusk. I heard it's a meatier, bassier version of the b2. Thanks, I'll looks into it.

May 16, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #16,809 of 19,198
Odd conclusion from my point of view, which is one that loves detailing. I have spent to much time comparing the ER4XR and XM3. I agree that headphones may sound more expansive, especially when their bass is seriously boosted like the XM3. Any ER is going to sound thin by comparison just because of this.

While I would second that the XM3 rivals Shure SE 315's for instance, more expanse vs more detail; that is a couple of steps down in sound quality (resolving qualities, seperation, realism) from the ER4.

You could argue that placement on the head of headphones matters and is also inconvenient. I agree the fit of the ER4 is demanding, how long have you tried them?
Not odd at all. Although boosted in bass, XM3 is just in another league compared to a single BA ER4. A lot of the full-sized generally are. I can tame the bass with EQ. And the XM3 is just my travel, convenience headphone. Even that's an improvement over an in-ear. I have others better suited for much accurate critical listening. ER4 doesn't have me motivated for any critical listening within my collection, because I know I can get much superior imaging with my full-sized.

I tried Ety double flanges and Shure olives, and Shure olives are terrible tips. It sounds tonally wonky. Ety Double flanges are certainly an improvement in terms of comfort, but not in sound. It doesn't compared to foam in terms of bass quality and timbre quality. Double flanges still doesn't sound proper to my ears. This tells me I wasn't hearing Ety properly all these years, and reason for dislikes. The silicone tips does not work for me. This is all the crap I got to go through for iems. At most I do pad swaps with full-sized.

I could care less how deep people say insert it, it's the not the only criteria.

I have to conclude that foam is the most ideal sound for me. I assume the proper intended bass quantity of the XR is brought out by the foam, and I hardly get bass with other tips. With those tips, I wouldn't know if it's XR or not. I could imagine how low of bass SR would sound in comparison.

Still I'm not all that impressed with imaging quality or the dynamics (that's mostly expected of iems however). Tonally, it's good.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #16,810 of 19,198

I find it odd too. Me being OCD on the subject of resolution and details, the very reasons I stuck with ER4 since 2006 was because I can't find anything else as resolving and as succinct as the ER series when it comes to details and imaging.

And even if now I am spending more time listening to KSE1500, for the same reasons I love technical prowess - KSE1500 being the undisputed No.1 on technical abilities, it dawned on me how closely competent ER4SR is to the electrostatic prowess of KSE1500 - ER4SR only losing in outright supremacy in airy highs, spatial realism, speed, and dynamics. Yet I find myself plugging in my ER4SR as much whenever possible

May 17, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #16,811 of 19,198
Not odd at all. Although boosted in bass, XM3 is just in another league compared to a single BA ER4. A lot of the full-sized generally are. I can tame the bass with EQ. And the XM3 is just my travel, convenience headphone. Even that's an improvement over an in-ear. I have others better suited for much accurate critical listening. ER4 doesn't have me motivated for any critical listening within my collection, because I know I can get much superior imaging with my full-sized.

I tried Ety double flanges and Shure olives, and Shure olives are terrible tips. It sounds tonally wonky. Ety Double flanges are certainly an improvement in terms of comfort, but not in sound. It doesn't compared to foam in terms of bass quality and timbre quality. Double flanges still doesn't sound proper to my ears. This tells me I wasn't hearing Ety properly all these years, and reason for dislikes. The silicone tips does not work for me. This is all the crap I got to go through for iems. At most I do pad swaps with full-sized.

I could care less how deep people say insert it, it's the not the only criteria.

I have to conclude that foam is the most ideal sound for me. I assume the proper intended bass quantity of the XR is brought out by the foam, and I hardly get bass with other tips. With those tips, I wouldn't know if it's XR or not. I could imagine how low of bass SR would sound in comparison.

Still I'm not all that impressed with imaging quality or the dynamics (that's mostly expected of iems however). Tonally, it's good.
Well, that sounds honest (as I presumed with your 'initial' post I reacted to). I find very little difference between tip's material influences, indeed being lose or otherwise not 'stuck' in your ear messes up everything in life (the fit & sound). From your reaction I would guess that your ear canals are quite a bit away from the normal used to design the ER4. In all cases I admire you really trying them, even though they are not single-use devices (nothing is really; not even toilet paper).

If you dislike the BA timbre, BA speed and the extra portability is not important [arguably the key points of the ER4 next to its accuracy]; you should consider reselling them and make someone else happy with them. Not for financial, but environmental reasons, I consider buying products you are going to love and come back to over most alternatives (for Calculus fans; a Limit Law argument). You seemingly have alternatives suited (much) better to your needs, why not stick to that or those?

May 17, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #16,812 of 19,198
Ety Filters.jpg

Been playing with the ETYMÒTIC Tuning Kit for almost a month now. And I would like to share a mini impressions on how they impart changes to my ER4SR and ER2XR.

ER4SR:
I went immediately for the filters which ETYMÒTIC labelled as in between "Accurate" and "Warm" tuning. So out goes the stock Green Filters (1500 Ohms) and in goes the Red (2200 Ohms).
First impressions, yes there's audible shift in timbre characteristics. It does not introduce anything drastic or extravagant as it was just one step jump. What I am hearing now is a less sterile demeanor with what I perceived as subtle soft dampening of treble frequencies. In simpler words, it align towards being more analogue in personality and less analytical. BUT does it impede details and resolution? after almost one month with the Red filters I can confidently say NO, the details, speed, resolution and imaging remains the same. Perhaps the micro detailing less amplified as one would get using the lesser resistance filters. But it is still there :)
So do I like it? Hell yes I do. So much so they stayed permanent there and I didn't even bother to try the Orange filters which are supposed to offer 1100 Ohms more of Acoustic Dampening. Why change when it is already perfect now yes?

ER2XR:
As opposed to ER4SR approach, for my DD based ER2XR I opted to test the "Accurate" and "More Details" direction. Which means taking out the stock Green Filters (1500 Ohms) and replace it with the Brown Filters (1000 Ohms).
And as I suspected, my ER2XR now actually mimicking the timbre of ER4SR....almost. The difference being ER2SR retained the dynamic vibrancy which is arguably slightly weaker on ER4SR Solid State BA.
HOWEVER, ER2SR actually don't sound quite right to my ears with these enhanced focus on upper frequencies resolution. With the emphasis given more on being analytical it also mean now it is more likely to get unsavory peaky highs (on songs that are already shrill and shouty). Also I can't shake the feeling that I am missing the point of having ER2XR by trying to force it to perform like the bigger siblings of ER4 series.
And so I switched to the other extremes (by accident actually) and chucked in the Orange Filters (3300 Ohms). Not good, Not good! suddenly there's a veil that actually make the upper mids and treble sounding recessed. Okay out goes the Orange filters and back to the good old Green Filters - as how ETYMÒTIC wanted you to enjoy the ER2XR. I am happy now. It sounds right and proper. A highly vibrant DD with the ETYMÒTIC tuning.

And there you go. Final verdict. Red Filters for my ER4SR and Green for the ER2XR. My biggest complain now is that I don't have enough time in a day to enjoy both of them as much as I do. For I love them both for their own unique characteristics.

PS:
The impedance Ohms resistance specified here are not current based. They are supposedly what ETYMÒTIC measured as "Acoustic Resistances", not gonna argue on that with them😜

May 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #16,813 of 19,198
Been playing with the ETYMÒTIC Tuning Kit for almost a month now. And I would like to share a mini impressions on how they impart changes to my ER4SR and ER2XR.
Very nice write-up. I have not touched the filters on my IEMs, yet... I wonder if I should give it a try? :thinking:
Andy, how hard / annoying is removing the filters? Does it damage the removed filters, or can you install the old ones back?

ER4SR:
I went immediately for the filters which ETYMÒTIC labelled as in between "Accurate" and "Warm" tuning. So out goes the stock Green Filters (1500 Ohms) and in goes the Red (2200 Ohms).
First impressions, yes there's audible shift in timbre characteristics. It does not introduce anything drastic or extravagant as it was just one step jump. What I am hearing now is a less sterile demeanor with what I perceived as subtle soft dampening of treble frequencies. In simpler words, it align towards being more analogue in personality and less analytical. BUT does it impede details and resolution? after almost one month with the Red filters I can confidently say NO, the details, speed, resolution and imaging remains the same. Perhaps the micro detailing less amplified as one would get using the lesser resistance filters. But it is still there :)
So do I like it? Hell yes I do. So much so they stayed permanent there and I didn't even bother to try the Orange filters which are supposed to offer 1100 Ohms more of Acoustic Dampening. Why change when it is already perfect now yes?
I wonder whether the Red (or the warmer Orange) filters "transform" the neutral ER4SR to the warmer ER4XR?
Andy, since the transition from Green to Red was a big improvement (to your taste), why not try the Orange? Maybe it would sound even better...

May 17, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #16,814 of 19,198
Very nice write-up. I have not touched the filters on my IEMs, yet... I wonder if I should give it a try? :thinking:
Andy, how hard / annoying is removing the filters? Does it damage the removed filters, or can you install the old ones back?

I wonder whether the Red (or the warmer Orange) filters "transform" the neutral ER4SR to the warmer ER4XR?
Andy, since the transition from Green to Red was a big improvement (to your taste), why not try the Orange? Maybe it would sound even better...
Thanks buddy.
Not that hard actually. Me being aged 46 are not exactly the most delicate at handling tiny things, LOL. Just make sure you get good lighting and use the supplied tool gently. In my case I didn't even damage the filters membrane.

Yes I admit I am compelled to try the Orange filters, just that I was so hooked up with the Red Ones that I am actually quite hesitant to change that. Perhaps in a day or two I will muster enough curiosity to do it and will share you my findings.

May 18, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #16,815 of 19,198
curiosity, I just tried using the filter removal tool to take one filter out then put it back in

Will it damage the filter? how do i know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back