If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #16,472 of 19,243
For anyone who has both the ER4SR and the ER2SE, does one get used more than the other? Which do you grab the most often? If you switch between the two, is there a certain genre you listen to with each?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #16,473 of 19,243
For anyone who has both the ER4SR and the ER2SE, does one get used more than the other? Which do you grab the most often? If you switch between the two, is there a certain genre you listen to with each?
Both are very similar, but I found the ER4SR smoother and with better resolution along the whole frequency spectrum. The ER2SE in comparison sounds a little grainy and a bit more agressive on high mids/treble. The subs on the ER2SE are little more meaty and impactfull. I use the ER4SR much more, for any genre.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #16,474 of 19,243
The ER4SR wins just for the detail/clarity, The bass on the ER2 weird it seems like there +2db but shows up on any genre making Rock sound like Hardcore punk. While the ER4SR doesn't do that which makes sound less congested, Not to mention can sound hyperrealistic where studio recordings can sound like live mixes but without the sloppy feel. The ER2 sound's like it hits a wall where it can sound coloured, No idea what they did with 2XR driver it treble sounds dark to the ER2SE manages to mimic the ER4SR very well the DD decay can be off set by doing -2db at 150Hz at 1.2 Q on PEACE.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #16,475 of 19,243
as great of a passive noise blocking that the Etys provide for high and mid freq, it still can't cancel the low rumble vibrations that's also being transferred through the cables and the user's body.. as far as i know only ANC with inside and outside mic can cancel that.

i did however sometimes use my Sony WH1000XM3 over my Etys and other IEMs.. now that is the ultimate combo of isolation: best of both world working together :beyersmile:

Sorry, that's just incorrect - how would an ANC cancel vibrations that go via your body/head? Think it over :)

Etymotic (and Klipsch) do incredibly well on airplanes (THE place of low vibrations by definition) Of course one can put a muffler or an ANC can on top of that, but that's a question of diminishing returns.

On older planes (A33x, for example) I measured 80-85dB background noise while cruising at altitude - newer planes (A35x, B787) are quieter. A well inserted Ety (Klipsch) with either the 3 flange silicon or comply foamies reduce it by about/nearly 40dB (remember, dB is log scale) so an added muffler will maybe reduce from "hardly any" background noise to "hardly-hardly any" level. Given the bone and cranial conduction, the level of extra reduction is even less. But nothing stops you from doing it :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #16,476 of 19,243
Hi guys I currently have the ER4XR, but I am now considering a wireless IEM for the convenience. Are there any signs of Etymotic releasing a wireless IEM@?

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #16,477 of 19,243

I reach for my ER2 more than my ER4. I don't know if I'm am just used to DD but it does have a more natural timbre to me. The ER4 speed and detail is amazing but it can almost lack a bit of life and thickness compared to my ER2.

I imagine a lot of people will disagree with me but to each their own.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #16,478 of 19,243
Sorry, that's just incorrect - how would an ANC cancel vibrations that go via your body/head? Think it over :)

Etymotic (and Klipsch) do incredibly well on airplanes (THE place of low vibrations by definition) Of course one can put a muffler or an ANC can on top of that, but that's a question of diminishing returns.

On older planes (A33x, for example) I measured 80-85dB background noise while cruising at altitude - newer planes (A35x, B787) are quieter. A well inserted Ety (Klipsch) with either the 3 flange silicon or comply foamies reduce it by about/nearly 40dB (remember, dB is log scale) so an added muffler will maybe reduce from "hardly any" background noise to "hardly-hardly any" level. Given the bone and cranial conduction, the level of extra reduction is even less. But nothing stops you from doing it :)

the vibrations itself for sure won't be canceled out. but what you would hear would still be the vibration that reaches the ear canal (and captured by the eardrums)

so yes, ANC can for sure reduces that effect. simple test would be clenching your teeth and jaw muscle to produce "rumble" sound in your ears while putting in some ANC IEMs/TWSs. now toggle between ANC off and on. you'll definitely hear the reduction of the low frequency.

using the combo of ANC headphones and passive IEMs would obviously not produce the same effect as above because the ANC is working on the outside of the ears, while the IEM would still transfer vibrations inside the ear canal from the cables. it would be redundant for that purpose.

that combo can be fun to try at home, for instance, just see what the effect of active and passive canceling IEM working at the same. time.

i always bring my ER4XR when travelling, and i still prefer using ANC on planes, trains, and especially motorcycle riding because only using passive blocking IEMs would transfer and magnify the sound of bumps to my ears.
with ANC, it would only cut out the lower rumble while maintaining the higher freq in, so i can still have conversations in planes, and still able to hear my surroundings like people chatter, other vehicles, and horns.. even more clearer than not wearing ANC.

using passive IEMs on the road is just outright dangerous for me because of the opposite effect: can't hear environmental cues, and having low rumbles amplified to a point that it would mask the environmental cues even more. also i don't like cabled IEM when riding for that safety issue. note that i use them mainly for reducing noise, not for music listening on the road. even if i did listen to music with them, it would be at such a low volume that i can still hear people talking

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #16,479 of 19,243
I've noticed that with the Etymotic IEM's they lack sparkle. The ER4B fixed that, but that was phased out because people got scared of the +5db treble boost over the ER4S?.

https://www.etymotic.com/technology/hwmra

"Target Curve
Target curves on Etymotic Research graphs indicate 100% accuracy: The open ear diffuse-field response of the KEMAR® manikin modified to compensate for the high frequency boost added to high-quality recordings. This modification (approximately 5 dB at 10 kHz) is necessary to avoid earphones sounding too bright on commercial recordings. Commercial recordings have a high-frequency boost that compensates for the high frequency roll-off in studio monitor loudspeakers and high-quality stereo loudspeakers and earphones."

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #16,480 of 19,243
using passive IEMs on the road is just outright dangerous for me because of the opposite effect: can't hear environmental cues, and having low rumbles amplified to a point that it would mask the environmental cues even more. also i don't like cabled IEM when riding for that safety issue. note that i use them mainly for reducing noise, not for music listening on the road. even if i did listen to music with them, it would be at such a low volume that i can still hear people talking

Absolutely correct! I wouldn't dare/ dream using iems while driving or riding. When driving, the car stereos are good enough. When riding a bike, the basic apple earbuds (that come with the phone) do the job well. Being unaware of your environment because you're isolated by your iems is plain crazy.

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #16,481 of 19,243

In my case, the ER4SE get more use than the ER2SE, but it's really just a matter of preference. Both pairs of IEMs are ultimately equally good in my opinion, with only few areas where they differ slightly.

Pretty much any music genre.

It's only rarely on very dense classical recordings or very fast stuff where I would choose the ER4SR or my ProPhile 8 over the ER2SE as the latter will sound ultimately a little less controlled, separated and clean when the track pushes them to their limits, but otherwise it's a very fair, even match and ultimately really comes down to the slight timbral differences the ER4SR and ER2SE have (such as the subjectively slightly more impactful, more "tactile" feeling bass of the ER2SE, or their less "grainy", more "layered" appearing midrange in comparison - ultimately though all of these are fairly small differences and required me quite some switching back and forth between them).

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #16,482 of 19,243

Most top-tier ANC headphones cancel microphonics by having a microphone that faces the ear drum. It knows the waveform it just played (minus the ANC by said microphone) and knows what it is expecting to hear back. With those two things, I can in theory EQ/cancel out the inner-noise in real time. Apple does this as well with the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max while Sony does it with the WF-1000XM series too. Actually, a common issue with the AirPods Pro involves that given microphone (clicking/crackling issues are likely caused by a malfunction in this area).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #16,483 of 19,243
When I demoed ER4SR, ER4XR, ER2SE, I ended up going for the ER4SR (preference: ER4SR >= ER2SE > ER4XR).
That said, I absolutely hate the cables on ER4SR. I find the flimsier cable of ER2SE better for everyday use (ER4SR cables are also REALLY REALLY long).
Plus, I find the blue color so much cooler than the black.

As for why I ended up for the ER4SR, ER2SE feels 'grainier' in a direct comparison to the ER4SR in a listening test.
And something is different with the highs. ER2SE seem to have some limits there relative to the ER4SR.
That said, without blind listening test, if you were to replace ER4SR with ER2SE while I was sleeping, I probably won't ever notice in day to day setting. You really have to sit down and side compare and even that's not a guarantee depending on the music.
tl;dr: For all practical everyday purposes, ER2SE is the same as ER4SR with a better color (blue instead of black). You really start noticing the diminishment in sound quality for the price you pay really quick from the ER2SE in the audiophile market.

Plus, ER4SR is $129 on adorama : https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?sdtid=14826490&emailprice=t
a price I think is an absolute steal. I had to pay double the price and at the time, it was a stupidly great deal.
I'm more surprised that other IEMs are even considered at this price range with the ER2SE, ER2XR, ER3SE, E3XR, ER4SE, ER4XR with each at their own respective price ranges in the current market. But that's just me personally cause I really doubt there's any IEM in the market today that can compete with any of the ER series below Blessing 2 (if you like the harman curve).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #16,485 of 19,243
When I demoed ER4SR, ER4XR, ER2SE, I ended up going for the ER4SR (preference: ER4SR >= ER2SE > ER4XR).
That said, I absolutely hate the cables on ER4SR. I find the flimsier cable of ER2SE better for everyday use (ER4SR cables are also REALLY REALLY long).
Plus, I find the blue color so much cooler than the black.

As for why I ended up for the ER4SR, ER2SE feels 'grainier' in a direct comparison to the ER4SR in a listening test.
And something is different with the highs. ER2SE seem to have some limits there relative to the ER4SR.
That said, without blind listening test, if you were to replace ER4SR with ER2SE while I was sleeping, I probably won't ever notice in day to day setting. You really have to sit down and side compare and even that's not a guarantee depending on the music.
tl;dr: For all practical everyday purposes, ER2SE is the same as ER4SR with a better color (blue instead of black). You really start noticing the diminishment in sound quality for the price you pay really quick from the ER2SE in the audiophile market.

Plus, ER4SR is $129 on adorama : https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?sdtid=14826490&emailprice=t
a price I think is an absolute steal. I had to pay double the price and at the time, it was a stupidly great deal.
I'm more surprised that other IEMs are even considered at this price range with the ER2SE, ER2XR, ER3SE, E3XR, ER4SE, ER4XR with each at their own respective price ranges in the current market. But that's just me personally cause I really doubt there's any IEM in the market today that can compete with any of the ER series below Blessing 2 (if you like the harman curve).
Well ER2SE are also damn steal at their current price point of $55!!! These adorama sales are crazy.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14826490&emailprice=t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back