If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #16,396 of 19,243
Wow, nice out-of-the-box thinking and solution. It is not quite clear to me if you do insert them deeply as designed, or that through your modification you may not have to insert them as deeply (which would change the sound signature following my point above from EtyDave)?

Definitely deeply as designed. It doesn't change much how deep you can fit unless you make your ring out of some extra-large foam tip and your canal is really 'tight' (but even though most memory foams will adapt to your ear canal once squashed into your ears).

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #16,397 of 19,243
These new vietnam versions comes with some extra 2 flange tips. The outside carrying pouch was slightly different(left is the new one)
Sound wise, initially I think the vietnam ones are much brighter, but when I rolled my old ER4's tips onto the new ones, they sound the same. So to my opinion there's not much difference.IMG_20210217_162159.jpg

The pouches did change to update the new logo. We've gone through a few different vendors of the pouches over the years. There were at least two different manufacturers for the US made ER4 earphones as well (with the old logo).

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #16,399 of 19,243
@EtyDave Is the new model EVO deep insertion designed like the ER4?
According to their Twitter this might not be the case, it's dual flange, around the ear design, it doesn't look that deep like ER4 used to be.

Attachments

• 20210219_125354.jpg
    20210219_125354.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #16,400 of 19,243
According to their Twitter this might not be the case, it's dual flange, around the ear design, it doesn't look that deep like ER4 used to be.

Well, the ER4 is basically a barrel with an eartip. Unless you hit the angle of the strain relief, it's pretty much a straight shot into your brain.

That said, with the two flange tips I can get equivalent insertion depth with the ER4 and the EVO. The eartip stops right at the 2nd bend of my ear canal. But, due to the nature of the in-concha design, it is possible that there could be interference in some ears in certain situations. I expect most people will be able to work around that via choice of eartip, but it is fundamentally a different form factor than the ER4, which is very small and has the advantage of allowing a deep seal with just about everybody.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #16,401 of 19,243
Well, the ER4 is basically a barrel with an eartip. Unless you hit the angle of the strain relief, it's pretty much a straight shot into your brain.

That said, with the two flange tips I can get equivalent insertion depth with the ER4 and the EVO. The eartip stops right at the 2nd bend of my ear canal. But, due to the nature of the in-concha design, it is possible that there could be interference in some ears in certain situations. I expect most people will be able to work around that via choice of eartip, but it is fundamentally a different form factor than the ER4, which is very small and has the advantage of allowing a deep seal with just about everybody.
Yeah the "barrel with eartip" description takes me back in China 10 years ago when you guys usually memed as ear-ripper because some old ER4 tips are sticky and big at the same time.
(They also rumoured that ER4 only shines when you can insert with largest tip, which we all know it's false because it's all about deep insert)
I personally had eardrum surgery in my middle school time so I didn't dare to try it until you guys released XR/SR which are much more comfortable.
Will be very interested in EVO.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #16,403 of 19,243
Do they come with the usual set of ear tips? Or would there be something new?

It's going to be a familiar combination of 2-flange, 3-flange and the foam.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #16,405 of 19,243
Just won a ER4PT in a Ebay bid, Really wanting to hear the ER4S after trying the 4SR. Since BA drivers sound like planars without the 4KHz dip they have. I doubt most ER4S reviews since I don't know if they used a strong amp(E10K, Atom, magni+) before trying and doing EQ.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #16,406 of 19,243
Hi guys, I recently purchased a ER4SR and paired it with a Qudelix 5K (thanks ClieOS) and really like the combination, especially for classical music. Just wanted to see what you guys use, see if there are other DAC/AMPs, portable or otherwise, worth looking into. Thanks!
I use my ER4XR with two different daps: Astell and Kern SR25 and Sony nwa-55L with Mr Walkmann’s firmware. Both of them also have dac modes. Both small and very portable. In both cases I like very much the results. I also listen mainly to classical and the Etymotic are truly amazing for orchestral music. I even prefer them to most of my headphones. The Astell has a very velvet tunning that is perfect for me. The sony is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #16,407 of 19,243
Hi guys, I recently purchased a ER4SR and paired it with a Qudelix 5K (thanks ClieOS) and really like the combination, especially for classical music. Just wanted to see what you guys use, see if there are other DAC/AMPs, portable or otherwise, worth looking into. Thanks!
I just purchased the EarMen TR-Amp and it has become my favourite ER4XR companion. If you can live with only connecting it to USB sources, I strongly recommend looking into it.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #16,408 of 19,243
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #16,409 of 19,243
Curiousity got the better of me so I cut off the inner tip of a small triple flange. The good news is the ear canal tickling sensation gone. Now the bad news is the filter is now pretty much flush with the tip opening, and I'm slightly concerned they come out and live in my ear canals... Sound wise I think treble range is rolled off a bit though I can't say for sure. Welp now time to try foams before I shell out the money for double flanges.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #16,410 of 19,243
Curiousity got the better of me so I cut off the inner tip of a small triple flange. The good news is the ear canal tickling sensation gone. Now the bad news is the filter is now pretty much flush with the tip opening, and I'm slightly concerned they come out and live in my ear canals... Sound wise I think treble range is rolled off a bit though I can't say for sure. Welp now time to try foams before I shell out the money for double flanges.

Just buy double flange. More comfortable and I personally enjoy their sound as much or more than triple flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back