If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #16,247 of 19,241
It would seem I my ear wax isn't that dry, haha. Hmm I'll check next time I have an itchy ear canal.

If you ever have an itchy ear. It normally doesn't bother me much, just something that happens.

DAC/amps I would guess ***should*** not make that much difference on a 45 ohm earphone. What good is an amp colouring the sound? I know some BT sets have pretty sad signal-to-noise-ratios, crosstalk and/or self-impedence; that is just pathetic when listening to HiFi.

DAC/amp shouldn't make too much difference, you're absolutely right. Define coloring sound, or better yet, which DAC/amp isn't colored :p Not much noise with the Etymotion which is good.

How is the battery life and charging times on the Etymotion? They state 8 hours, which to my mind is just a bit low (I have days of listening 10 hours). Also, do/can you use it wired via USB for sound, I think not?

I haven't really stress tested the battery unfortunately, so I actually can't talk about this. It's been a while since I used my Etys.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #16,248 of 19,241
Hi @EtyDave
chrome_jpjTLTp250.pngchrome_wWyFNf1SyW.png

I don't know if it's the lighting playing me a trick, but, which color will be the final? silver or dark blue?

It will most definitely be blue. The silver one was just an early mockup (it's polished, but I don't think it has a finish on it). It's actually not a fancy photoshoot. It's sitting on my microscope. I had no idea that picture was going to be posted. :wink:

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #16,249 of 19,241
Looks like gold to me.
The dress is blue!!!
It literally makes the inside of my ear canal itch.
I know 3 solutions:
- Endure until your ear canal and the flanges learn to live together, like would a foot and a painful new shoe.
- Try foam tips(from ety or others), I can hardly stand one silicone flange on most IEMs, and could never get used to 2 or 3(because of the itch).
- Forget about deep insertion IEMs.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #16,250 of 19,241
I'm surprised the double flanges have more bass. I always just assumed they'd sound the same as the triple flange.

The really isn't any more bass with the 2-flange tips, but many folks find them easier to get a seal, which would give that perception.

Also, due to the different shapes and flange dimension of the various tips, one might get different insertion depth with one tip vs another, which can change the high frequencies, which also might shift the overall balance a bit.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #16,251 of 19,241
It would seem I my ear wax isn't that dry, haha. Hmm I'll check next time I have an itchy ear canal.

DAC/amps I would guess ***should*** not make that much difference on a 45 ohm earphone. What good is an amp colouring the sound? I know some BT sets have pretty sad signal-to-noise-ratios, crosstalk and/or self-impedence; that is just pathetic when listening to HiFi.

How is the battery life and charging times on the Etymotion? They state 8 hours, which to my mind is just a bit low (I have days of listening 10 hours). Also, do/can you use it wired via USB for sound, I think not?

The 8 hours is a fairly conservative estimate and it depends on what CODEC you are using. For example, AptX HD has a higher current draw and will be closer to the 8-9 hour battery range. If you are using basic SBC, hitting 10 hours should be no problem. IIRC, it's closer to 12, but don't quote me on that.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #16,252 of 19,241
Well hi there...Posted on Etymotic FB an hour ago:

We kept our ears to the internet and we heard what you wanted. We are happy to announce Etymotic’s launch into the multi-driver world. The Etymotic EVO has been in development for the last two years. We engineered a custom stainless steel housing that utilizes the Estron T2 connector system. Designed for supreme accuracy and ultimate durability.

Guess this earphone will deserve its own separate thread... we’re far from the original ER4 concept/legacy

D6F7EF79-E175-4CAA-BCC6-C052655B4215.jpeg
It's time to start a new dedicated thread:wink:...

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #16,257 of 19,241
What sort of differences are you guys expecting from the new one? I hardly know about the design and manufacture of IEMs but I imagine going from one to three drivers is a substantial change. I just wonder what implications it has on the sound.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #16,259 of 19,241
Will the new EVO also have two SR/XR versions like the other lines?

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #16,260 of 19,241
Regarding the "tickling"/"itch": imo it could also be the end of the tips touching some of the hairs in your ear canal due to Etymotic IEMs being inserted somewhat deeper than most other in-ears (given one is using multi-flange ear tips).
By the way, I can relate to the "tickling" feeling that I also sometimes get after inserting my Etymotic IEMs (may also get it on my HiFiMan HE-400i (not sure since they ultimately don't insert as deep as the Etys, and I also don't really care about this sensation too much) that I am using with the included large double-flange tips, but I don't really have hairy ear canals anyway, at least as far as I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back