If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #16,186 of 19,243
Been away from this thread for too long. I'll catch up later but quickly, are there any rumors as to the price range of the new etys being released?

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #16,188 of 19,243
Been testing out a few cables I've knocked up on 4.4mm balanced, decided I'm just sticking with stock that I've re terminated, so these are going spare. One 4 core silver braided foil and one 4 core 5N copper braided, my give away as I normally do is pay the postage via PayPal gift and there yours.
First come first served basis.
16117006113064308596362042684841.jpg
16117007132762079631307499465420.jpg
And no the headphones are not included, just the cable before you ask
...... There's always one who will !
*Silver gone*

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #16,189 of 19,243
@EtyDave
( Or anyone who's cut off the XR2 jack and re terminated it )
Re terminated the stock cable on the 4XR to 4.4mm as it's a full 4 core ( not a fan of 2.5mm ) Just wondering what's the stock cable on the 2XR below the splitter, 3 or still 4 core ?

There separate grounds down to the plug. You could reterminate and make it balanced if you have the connector and a penchant for solder fumes.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #16,190 of 19,243
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #16,192 of 19,243
First off, thank you for your participation in this thread and the information you share! I've been using Etymotic IEMs for several years, starting with the HF series and now owning the ER4, ER3, and ER2 series. Nothing else I've used at any price, even above $1k, has been able to dethrone my ER4XR due to Etymotic's peerless tuning.

Is there any further technical detail you can share, either now or later post-release, about the interior design of the new multi-driver model? Some of the BA designs in units like Sony's IER-M9 and 64 Audio's have made for incredibly technically impressive sounding IEMs, even if their tuning hasn't been as on point as Etymotic's. Are the new Etymotics a heavily customized design, what do the internals look like?

In addition, for others reading this thread, please follow the advice to replace your triple flange tips periodically when you begin to notice them getting softer and easier to slip off the barrels, as I have more than once had to extract one from my ear canal with tweezers having used them too long without replacement.

I don't have exploded drawings to share, nor am I very good at flowery phrasing for marketing prose. Here's the blunt engineering perspective:

Ultimately we dialed in the earphone with a combination of specific sound channel lengths and diameters along with carefully chosen crossover settings and acoustic damping as needed (often it's a combination of factors). For example, with a bass driver, one might achieve a low pass filter with a combination of an electronic crossover, an acoustic restriction and even components like acoustic dampers. It's a balancing act and a blend to find the frequency response that you are looking for. It's not really magical, it's just knowing what you are trying to accomplish and finding the means to dial it in and make sure it both fits in the housing and that it's manufacturable. There's a lot of back and forth between acoustic, mechanical and industrial design. If all goes right, at the end it all comes together in a nice looking and sounding earphone.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #16,193 of 19,243
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #16,194 of 19,243
I see cable talk once in a while on this thread re: various ety models. Do any of them scale with balanced connects? I don't find any of the ety lineup particularly hard to drive and my current ety's (er2xr) hasn't been source dependent to my ears.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #16,195 of 19,243
I see cable talk once in a while on this thread re: various ety models. Do any of them scale with balanced connects? I don't find any of the ety lineup particularly hard to drive and my current ety's (er2xr) hasn't been source dependent to my ears.

Balanced connections, in my opinion, are overhyped. You don't see widespread adoption in the audio professional industry that I'm aware of because it's just not needed. Barring some kind of ground loop which would be solved by a differential connection if you've got sufficient power I can't see the advantage of a balanced connection.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #16,196 of 19,243
I don't have exploded drawings to share, nor am I very good at flowery phrasing for marketing prose. Here's the blunt engineering perspective:

Ultimately we dialed in the earphone with a combination of specific sound channel lengths and diameters along with carefully chosen crossover settings and acoustic damping as needed (often it's a combination of factors). For example, with a bass driver, one might achieve a low pass filter with a combination of an electronic crossover, an acoustic restriction and even components like acoustic dampers. It's a balancing act and a blend to find the frequency response that you are looking for. It's not really magical, it's just knowing what you are trying to accomplish and finding the means to dial it in and make sure it both fits in the housing and that it's manufacturable. There's a lot of back and forth between acoustic, mechanical and industrial design. If all goes right, at the end it all comes together in a nice looking and sounding earphone.

Thank you for the non-marketing response, and a holistic engineering approach using existing technologies is what I'd expected from Etymotic. Given what your company engineers have achieved with previous products I'm anticipating buying these as soon as they become available.

Now if only we may also eventually see a larger concha-fitting moving coil Etymotic IEM as well, given how impressive the ER2 series already is with its extremely limited space. :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #16,197 of 19,243
As others have guessed, it's voiced more like an XR, not the SR. I know that some will agree with that and others will disagree. But the XR series is, overall, the more popular one by a decent margin. It's a 2-way, 3 driver configuration with a single mid/high receiver and a dual bass driver. It doesn't have a wildly huge bass boost (around 5dB) and we kept the corner frequency reasonably low. It's got more sub-bass, which is something that people have been wanting for a while.

At the end of the day, it's not a replacement for the ER4 series, it's something different (particularly the form factor). As with anything, some will prefer the old way, some will prefer the new. For what it's worth, I like it and I am extremely biased.

Hey @EtyDave great to have you around again

The ER4 was the first iem I've settled on long term and despite going through everything released over the (tens of) years and everything listed in my signature I presently own, I still have a pair of the good old red-blue ER4P and a pair of ER4SR in my rotation. I have just pulled out my aged and trusted ER4P today to have a blast on the go (I had the Odin in my years till late yesterday night) and to be completely honest it can still compete with the very, very best out there even today. It's a marvel. I don't know how that could be managed - back in its days it was certainly a pioneering invention but in today's iem's term its design is so minimalistic - I guess even an exploded view would show nothing particularly interesting. Yet the sound is just too good.

I look forward to the new release eagerly while wishing it won't dethrone the ER4, especially the old ER4P, for what it is - endgame for accuracy, and by accuracy it means everything sound RIGHT (not necessarily good but definitely absolutely right)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #16,198 of 19,243
[...] and to be completely honest it can still compete with the very, very best out there even today. It's a marvel. I don't know how that could be managed [...]

Just another example for that the frequency response is ultimately and clearly the number one factor when it comes to in-ears' and headphones' perceived sound quality (surely not the only, but clearly the most important one).

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #16,199 of 19,243
Just another example for that the frequency response is ultimately and clearly the number one factor when it comes to in-ears' and headphones' perceived sound quality (surely not the only, but clearly the most important one).
I would add that distance to eardrum is crucial as well. The closer the better (unless too close and driver becomes overdamped).

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #16,200 of 19,243
Hello again people
I've discovered something about my pair of ER4-SR's

one of the drivers is a lot more sensitive to AC hum, while the other one is not
Initially I thought it was my DAC when my left channel had the hum, but its persistent across multiple different sources
and just now I thought I would swap the drivers around, and that's when I discovered that now the humming is coming from the right side, proving that it's the driver itself after all, and not the amplifier which was causing the hum

can anyone explain why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back