If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #16,036 of 19,204
If you ever consider doing a demo or loaner program for review, sign me up! :)

I don't tend to handle things like that as I'm just an engineer/project leader. But I'll keep you in mind if I hear of opportunities.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #16,038 of 19,204
Thanks for the answer.

Man I was hoping for the ER2 timbre with the ER4 detail and decay.

Still really interested to see how it turns out?

Can you mention the price or is it too early for that yet?

I *think* I know what it will be, but I don't know if that's final, so I'm hesitant to say anything yet. You won't need to sell your car or any vital organs.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #16,039 of 19,204
Close the door! don't let him go!

So @EtyDave (/me adjusts the light toward his face), no pressure, I'm your friend and those are just your typical questions that come up in any normal conversation:

Any clue about the 2 certificates attached there, and the sensi difference? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1061#post-16024908
Possible variation because stuff? Different measurement rig? 100mV instead of 200? D, the answer D?

Using the "enhance" function from NCIS, I have determined that I feel like it seems like there is probably still an acoustic damper at the output. Yes, no, green?

What will happen when someone will inevitably want to add 20 or 70ohm in series because that almost always worked well until now and the guy thinks it's the secret Ety sauce? Alternative question: My religion forbids that I purchase an IEM with the impedance going below 13.37ohm. Will I go against my noodly lord if I get this one?

Is it true that the Ety survivors had to sign off their soul to Lucid and start building cables out of used tires in a sweatshop? blink your eye twice if you can't talk.

Is 2Pac really dead?

How are you doing?

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #16,040 of 19,204
They need to update the certificates; looks like they're testing with 100mv drive rather than 200mv drive now. My old ERXSR certificate shows ~104.5 db rather than ~98.5 for the sensitivity measurements.

Edit: Dug out the certificate from my old packaing ER4SR and my wife's new packaging ER4SR and compared. You can see there are some small differences. My wife's pair has THD under .5% on both units but the sensitivity is much lower. This makes me suspect 100mv drive rather than 200mv (since doubling the voltage would give 6db).

Sonically I can't perceive a difference at the same volume but I wonder what changed during the validation process.

Yes, this was an error by *cough* the Etymotic engineering folks. For many of our test systems, we've used 100mV drive level, but the old ER4 tester that we used for many many years was set to 200mV. When we setup the new test system, we used 100mV and should've either used 200mV or changed the graph. It was a definite oops. That said, the sensitivity itself didn't change. They are nominally 98dB SPL with 100mV drive and nominally 104dB SPL with 200mV drive.

In summary: You are absolutely correct.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #16,041 of 19,204
Close the door! don't let him go!

So @EtyDave (/me adjusts the light toward his face), no pressure, I'm your friend and those are just your typical questions that come up in any normal conversation:

Any clue about the 2 certificates attached there, and the sensi difference? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1061#post-16024908
Possible variation because stuff? Different measurement rig? 100mV instead of 200? D, the answer D?

Using the "enhance" function from NCIS, I have determined that I feel like it seems like there is probably still an acoustic damper at the output. Yes, no, green?

What will happen when someone will inevitably want to add 20 or 70ohm in series because that almost always worked well until now and the guy thinks it's the secret Ety sauce? Alternative question: My religion forbids that I purchase an IEM with the impedance going below 13.37ohm. Will I go against my noodly lord if I get this one?

Is it true that the Ety survivors had to sign off their soul to Lucid and start building cables out of used tires in a sweatshop? blink your eye twice if you can't talk.

Is 2Pac really dead?

How are you doing?

Oh, and to answer your other questions:

- Yes, there is a green damper at the end. Expect a call from NCIS or CSI any minute now. Or possibly Columbo. Your skills will definitely be in high demand.

- Because there's now a crossover in the mix, adding resistance will actually give you a bit of a bass boost (coupled with the typical sensitivity loss). You won't be able to add series resistance to flatten it out like with the ER4P. For bass heads with a headphone amp, some folks may enjoy playing around with this. As for your religious preferences, the nominal impedance is around 46 ohms, so you can rest easy.

- As long as his songs can be listened to, 2pac will live forever.

- I am doing well, just way too busy. How about you?

-

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #16,043 of 19,204
Excellent! Pricing range?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to hold off on pricing comments until I'm absolutely certain it's final.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #16,045 of 19,204
Thanks for the replies. Me, I'm obviously not busy enough. ^_^

I would say that I strive for "not busy enough" but nobody I know would believe me. That said, I do strive for a bit more hobby time. Those guitar amps aren't going to build themselves. :wink:

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #16,047 of 19,204
Yes, this was an error by *cough* the Etymotic engineering folks. For many of our test systems, we've used 100mV drive level, but the old ER4 tester that we used for many many years was set to 200mV. When we setup the new test system, we used 100mV and should've either used 200mV or changed the graph. It was a definite oops. That said, the sensitivity itself didn't change. They are nominally 98dB SPL with 100mV drive and nominally 104dB SPL with 200mV drive.

In summary: You are absolutely correct.

Long time no see @EtyDave! Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #16,048 of 19,204
Hey @EtyDave! Is this new IEM going to use IPX connectors instead of Etymotic's proprietary MMCX? Also, any ETA for its release?

It uses the Estron T2 connector system.

ETA is currently March

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #16,049 of 19,204
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #16,050 of 19,204
@EtyDave another question regarding the connectors: will the EtyMotion BT cable work with the new multi-driver IEM? I want to assume it will, but I was taught in geometry class to never assume as I could make an ass out of u and me.

Edit: I think you answered the question when you said it uses T2 connectors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back