If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #16,021 of 19,241
ye it's me again. I am an overseas buyer from hong kong. I have ordered an er2se from Adorama and ship it by USPS. After it arrived at the USPS facility, it did not move again since 13/12. Is it normal for USPS? The products I bought from Amazon have already arrived before Christmas lol....I have already opened a missing case in USPS.

USPS got extremely backed up during the holiday season. The shutdown and stuff also took a toll... You're also shipping overseas, once the package leaves the US, USPS likely won't update the shipping info again.

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #16,022 of 19,241
Here’s pics of my recently purchased er4sr from Adorama (used). It’s the newest Lucid Audio version- sounds amazing and I actually prefer the bass on the er4sr vs the er2xr (listening to the last 20 seconds “Walkies” by Vulfpeck and the er4sr has a bass drum texture that is so real!!) I’m excited to try with different portable amps/dacs, but I’m getting a great experience out of the apple dongle so far. My only complaint is the thin plastic cable at the split, but I can easily forgive
Enjoy! I love these earphones to death.

DSC_9773_00001_02.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #16,023 of 19,241
Hi Folks, what did I miss? :)

I've been away for a long time. Just not a lot of free time to post here. But I thought I'd say hi.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #16,025 of 19,241
Hi Folks, what did I miss? :)

I've been away for a long time. Just not a lot of free time to post here. But I thought I'd say hi.

Does the teaser images Etymotic has posted on their IG have anything to do with this? :p

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #16,026 of 19,241
hi, tell us more about the new multi driver Etymotic

As others have guessed, it's voiced more like an XR, not the SR. I know that some will agree with that and others will disagree. But the XR series is, overall, the more popular one by a decent margin. It's a 2-way, 3 driver configuration with a single mid/high receiver and a dual bass driver. It doesn't have a wildly huge bass boost (around 5dB) and we kept the corner frequency reasonably low. It's got more sub-bass, which is something that people have been wanting for a while.

At the end of the day, it's not a replacement for the ER4 series, it's something different (particularly the form factor). As with anything, some will prefer the old way, some will prefer the new. For what it's worth, I like it and I am extremely biased.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #16,027 of 19,241
Does the teaser images Etymotic has posted on their IG have anything to do with this? :p

Yes, those certainly contributed. I actually took those photos (which explains the quality). I'm not the IG person, though.

I couldn't really come here and talk about it until it was out in the wild a little bit. I was curious if there was any discussion about it, so I stopped in when I saw that there was. I figured it would make sense to drop in and say hi.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #16,028 of 19,241
I am referencing the difference between earlier US built ER4SR/XR and the later Vietnam built ER4SR/XR. Also, there are cases reported on another forum that indicated the Vietnam factory seems to have much leaner QC process. As I used to build cable for ER4, I got more PM asking for help dealing with failed cable over time.

Just for the sake of clarity: the vendor for the cable didn't change. They were made by the same vendor that always made the ER4SR/XR cables. We did migrate the earpiece production to Vietnam, but the cable assembly was always there.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #16,029 of 19,241
As others have guessed, it's voiced more like an XR, not the SR. I know that some will agree with that and others will disagree. But the XR series is, overall, the more popular one by a decent margin. It's a 2-way, 3 driver configuration with a single mid/high receiver and a dual bass driver. It doesn't have a wildly huge bass boost (around 5dB) and we kept the corner frequency reasonably low. It's got more sub-bass, which is something that people have been wanting for a while.

At the end of the day, it's not a replacement for the ER4 series, it's something different (particularly the form factor). As with anything, some will prefer the old way, some will prefer the new. For what it's worth, I like it and I am extremely biased.
Hi, thank you for the description.
Could you share from which frequency bass boost starts?

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #16,030 of 19,241
Hi, thank you for the description.
Could you share from which frequency bass boost starts?

The corner frequency is at about 100 Hz, maybe a little lower.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #16,031 of 19,241

Is it full BA or is there a dynamic driver in there?

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #16,032 of 19,241
The corner frequency is at about 100 Hz, maybe a little lower.

That should sound very interesting. I'm excited to see how a multi-driver from Etymotic turns out. Especially with 2 bass drivers and a single mid/high driver.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #16,033 of 19,241
That should sound very interesting. I'm excited to see how a multi-driver from Etymotic turns out. Especially with 2 bass drivers and a single mid/high driver.

I'm really curious how folks will react to it. Obviously it's a different approach for us. I'm very close to it, so it'll be interesting to others think.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #16,034 of 19,241
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #16,035 of 19,241
I'm really curious how folks will react to it. Obviously it's a different approach for us. I'm very close to it, so it'll be interesting to others think.
If you ever consider doing a demo or loaner program for review, sign me up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back