If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #15,811 of 19,205
You have my attention :). Do you have the X12i? How would you say they differ from the Ety's?

Very similar sounding to my Ety ER3SE. Also similar in that both are tiny (I really don't like those large or very large earphones - maybe because I have used etymotics since er6i then hf3/5 then er3se) and deep insertion - without deeply inserting, the bass goes away.

Sound isolation is also very important for me (flying a LOT) the X12i also there with the Ety, in other words, both are stellar. I usually use Comply 100Tx foams with wax guards, but also the triple flange on the Ety.

I got a very good price on the x12i a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it.

PS - I don't give a rat's ass about what others says about BA vs DD - I like what I hear (and see) and that's good for me.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #15,812 of 19,205
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #15,813 of 19,205
Very similar sounding to my Ety ER3SE. Also similar in that both are tiny (I really don't like those large or very large earphones - maybe because I have used etymotics since er6i then hf3/5 then er3se) and deep insertion - without deeply inserting, the bass goes away.

Sound isolation is also very important for me (flying a LOT) the X12i also there with the Ety, in other words, both are stellar. I usually use Comply 100Tx foams with wax guards, but also the triple flange on the Ety.

I got a very good price on the x12i a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it.

PS - I don't give a rat's ass about what others says about BA vs DD - I like what I hear (and see) and that's good for me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, that's encouraging as, while I'm sure the X12i are better than the X12 neckband Bluetooth version of them, I'm considering picking up the X12 neckband Bluetooth for on-the-go wireless convenience, as I really do dig both the ER4XR and the ER2XR -- I don't mind the BA sound at all, to me, yes, it doesn't sound *quite* as natural / "organic", it's really not that different and I love the clean detail.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #15,814 of 19,205

The hate balanced armatures get is beyond a joke, When it by the same people that will praise the planar/electrostatic for same detail/decay. I had block 2 somewhere else when they would flame anyone that praised the ER3XR and compared it performance the higher tier planar headphones. I still remember getting downvoted for laughing that the L300ltd needs +19db bass shelf to sound warm neutral(ER4XR, HD650).

I was convinced my ER4s were better than my ER2s but recently the natural timbre and fuller body of the ER2 DD is hard to ignore.

What etymotic have done with single drivers is amazing in either case and I pick whichever one I think will suit the music I am listening to at the time.

Both are steals for being <$300 headphones, The ER2's even outperform other DD based stuff 4 times it price. Both are using full range 5mm drivers yet still rival many brands.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #15,815 of 19,205
Thanks for taking the time to respond, that's encouraging as, while I'm sure the X12i are better than the X12 neckband Bluetooth version of them, I'm considering picking up the X12 neckband Bluetooth for on-the-go wireless convenience, as I really do dig both the ER4XR and the ER2XR -- I don't mind the BA sound at all, to me, yes, it doesn't sound *quite* as natural / "organic", it's really not that different and I love the clean detail.
I got curious if one can hack x12 headband and make normal minijack cable for them...

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #15,816 of 19,205
Just a quick heads up, if anyone is looking for some er4 filters I have a few genuine sets (6) spare for sale....impossible to find in Europe and etymotic want a fortune to ship (quote of 50 dollars to the UK). Not asking rediculous amounts just what they are worth plus shipping.
Don't use my er4s as much as I used to and mainly my backup pair , have kept some filters for myself.
Did think about selling them as I hate things sitting in cupboards but they are still a fantastic iem and probably one of my favourites over the years so too reluctant to part with.
Anyway give me a PM if anyone needs some as they really are hard to get hold of in Europe.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #15,818 of 19,205
After a few days with my new ER-4XR, i must say I am really happy with the purchase. I reported on my first impressions which were very positive. Once perfect fit is found, I have managed with dual flanges and also with the Final Audio E eartips, the isolation is fantastic and sound quality is amazing to my ears. They are really precise like a scalpel. That is amazing with a good recording. Yesterday I was listening to Mahler’s 5th in a remastered edition from Bernstein. Truly fantastic. The horns sounded very real. Also they are are merciless with bad or old recordings where you can hear so clearly the background noise. That happened to me the other day with a Karajan recording from the 1960s. With other headphones or iems background noise was there but with the Etys, much more.
Questions for the Etyfans:
Would sound quality improve with a balanced cable? Do the ER-4XR improve with power and scale up or not so much? My experience with my Final E4000 coupled with the A & K SR25 that has double the output in balanced was very positive, but is it also the case with the Etys? I read somewhere they do not scale up so much, do you agree?
Also, microphonics is the aspect I do not like of the Etys. I cannot manage to wear them over ear. I have tried but I cannot get them as deep and upwards. Do any of you have experience with the following cables advertised in aliexpress? How is the sound quality and build quality? And microphonics?
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Any experience with these cables. Are they any good or should I disregard them altogether. I bought a cable from aliexpress for my Sennheiser HD599 and it was a good experience but I do not know if these cables are hit and miss?
Any Experience in microphonics and balanced? Or unbalanced?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #15,819 of 19,205
After a few days with my new ER-4XR, i must say I am really happy with the purchase. I reported on my first impressions which were very positive. Once perfect fit is found, I have managed with dual flanges and also with the Final Audio E eartips, the isolation is fantastic and sound quality is amazing to my ears. They are really precise like a scalpel. That is amazing with a good recording. Yesterday I was listening to Mahler’s 5th in a remastered edition from Bernstein. Truly fantastic. The horns sounded very real. Also they are are merciless with bad or old recordings where you can hear so clearly the background noise. That happened to me the other day with a Karajan recording from the 1960s. With other headphones or iems background noise was there but with the Etys, much more.
Questions for the Etyfans:
Would sound quality improve with a balanced cable? Do the ER-4XR improve with power and scale up or not so much? My experience with my Final E4000 coupled with the A & K SR25 that has double the output in balanced was very positive, but is it also the case with the Etys? I read somewhere they do not scale up so much, do you agree?
Also, microphonics is the aspect I do not like of the Etys. I cannot manage to wear them over ear. I have tried but I cannot get them as deep and upwards. Do any of you have experience with the following cables advertised in aliexpress? How is the sound quality and build quality? And microphonics?

Any experience with these cables. Are they any good or should I disregard them altogether. I bought a cable from aliexpress for my Sennheiser HD599 and it was a good experience but I do not know if these cables are hit and miss?
Any Experience in microphonics and balanced? Or unbalanced?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
IMO they do improve balanced and actually like a bit of power also , I have had mine er4xr for years and to be honest haven't used them for a while , mostly been using Andromeda s and comets while at work.I decided to get them out and use them today and wow just wow , I had forgotten how good these are! Again IMO the treble response is just one of the best I have heard and to my humble ears better than the campfire offerings , although Andromeda shine in other areas .... apple's and oranges.
Still to me one of the most accurate realistic iems your going to hear and I love them just as much as my Andromeda but for different reasons ......if I had to choose it would be really hard but the etys realism and accuracy may just swing it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #15,820 of 19,205
IMO they do improve balanced and actually like a bit of power also , I have had mine er4xr for years and to be honest haven't used them for a while , mostly been using Andromeda s and comets while at work.I decided to get them out and use them today and wow just wow , I had forgotten how good these are! Again IMO the treble response is just one of the best I have heard and to my humble ears better than the campfire offerings , although Andromeda shine in other areas .... apple's and oranges.
Still to me one of the most accurate realistic iems your going to hear and I love them just as much as my Andromeda but for different reasons ......if I had to choose it would be really hard but the etys realism and accuracy may just swing it.
cheers!
i will have to balanced then. I hope I will get some input on the cables, otherwise I will have to go blind! So far I have been lucky.
It is quite a compliment, I believe, what you say of the Etys. I have never heard any of the Campfire, but the fame (and price!) of the Andromedas is quite something in my country. Nowadays I listen 95% classical and I heard the Andromedas are more oriented to other genres, but I am sure they must sound amazing in any case!

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #15,821 of 19,205
cheers!
i will have to balanced then. I hope I will get some input on the cables, otherwise I will have to go blind! So far I have been lucky.
It is quite a compliment, I believe, what you say of the Etys. I have never heard any of the Campfire, but the fame (and price!) of the Andromedas is quite something in my country. Nowadays I listen 95% classical and I heard the Andromedas are more oriented to other genres, but I am sure they must sound amazing in any case!
I like them both ... er4xr are just super accurate, every little nuance and detail shines through and for me they are the more accurate representation.
Andromeda are more musical and more holographic which is where they shine also , depth and width of stage are better on Andromeda a more 3d representation.
Etymotic do there own balanced cable.
https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/products/etymotic-er-series-balanced-2-5mm-replacement-cable-1-5m
You can buy it various places.

also look here various Ety cables at lunashops
http://www.lunashops.com/search.php...lYXJjaF9lbmNvZGVfdGltZSI7aToxNjA2MjQzODE5O30=

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #15,822 of 19,205
cheers!
If I were you I would also try to find cable with lowest microphonics possible. I made a cable for my ER4S using same cheap cable I got for free on the plane. The cable is super light and very flexible so when I touch the cable nearly no sound reaches ears.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #15,824 of 19,205
If I were you I would also try to find cable with lowest microphonics possible. I made a cable for my ER4S using same cheap cable I got for free on the plane. The cable is super light and very flexible so when I touch the cable nearly no sound reaches ears.
Thanks LIVE_EVIL for the tip! A light cable against microphonics. Does it have to be a single cable? Many are braided cables, others are Copper PCOCC. What is the best type of cable to get less microphonics?
braided
LN006591-3-5mm-2-5mm-XLR-4-4mm-8-n-cleo-plateado-OCC-Cable-de-auriculares.jpg_Q90.jpg

PCCOC
LN007087-2-5mm-4-4mm-XLR-3-5mm-negro-99-puro-PCOCC-Cable-de-auriculares-para.jpg_Q90.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back