If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #15,721 of 19,241
I has built a few ER4B cable where I put the circuit in different location: (1) inside the 3.5mm plug (which you will need a larger 3.5mm plug for accommodation), (2) inside the Y-splitter and (3) inside the 2-pins adapters. Personally my preference is the Y-splitter as it has the cleanest look of all, though also the most difficult to built.

Yes, I agree. Inside the Y-splitter would be my preference as well.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #15,722 of 19,241
I has built a few ER4B cable where I put the circuit in different location: (1) inside the 3.5mm plug (which you will need a larger 3.5mm plug for accommodation), (2) inside the Y-splitter and (3) inside the 2-pins adapters. Personally my preference is the Y-splitter as it has the cleanest look of all, though also the most difficult to built.

Here is one inside the Y-splitter that I built awhile back for @Degru :
10360865.jpg

Here is one inside the 2-pins adapter so it can also accommodate a mic+remote
11296476.jpg
Oh by the way, you should implement a better strain relief on earphone side or use a cable with a sheath that doesn't stiffen over time. Sheath on my cable cracked and broke apart here:
1604699624090.png

because the sheath got too stiff over time. Probably doesn't help that I often wore these over-the-ear, so if you wear it cable-down this likely won't be an issue. The cable still worked, but obviously in a bit of a precarious state. I've since sold the etys on but just thought I'd give a bit of customer feedback :)

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #15,723 of 19,241
Do you sell this cables? I have er4p with a dead cable that I plan to replace. I am looking for a cable with volume regulator and mic if possible.

Used to build a few of these cables for fellow HF'er. Unfortunately now I stop building cable due to shipping complication caused by the pandemic.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #15,724 of 19,241
Oh by the way, you should implement a better strain relief on earphone side or use a cable with a sheath that doesn't stiffen over time. Sheath on my cable cracked and broke apart here:
1604699624090.png
because the sheath got too stiff over time. Probably doesn't help that I often wore these over-the-ear, so if you wear it cable-down this likely won't be an issue. The cable still worked, but obviously in a bit of a precarious state. I've since sold the etys on but just thought I'd give a bit of customer feedback :)

Noted.

If I knew that you were intended to wore over the ear most of the time, the older style boxy-shaped adapter (*the one in the 2nd picture I posted) plus some cable guide would have been a better choice instead of the 45 degree angled adapter I used on your cable. I'll suggest you put a thin layer of UV glue over the area to prevent further deterioration and will act somewhat like an extra strain relief.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #15,725 of 19,241
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #15,726 of 19,241
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #15,727 of 19,241
I'm in the same boat too, for a different reason. Only just found out for sure that the intermittent problems I've had since buying the ER4XR are definitely due to the cable and typically my warranty ran out a month ago.

I'd rather not drop £70 on a new Etymotic cable given that experience (plus I didn't think the cable seemed great anyway even when working properly) so I'd love some suggestions.. I had no idea alternative cables would be such an issue and being in the UK makes it that bit more awkward/expensive again.

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #15,729 of 19,241
Well, that's why I'm asking for suggestions :relaxed:

Lunashop, Ali Express etc. have a lot of cables which they say are for ER4s (like the ones listed, which some of the reviews seem to think work fine with them) but from reading here the suitability of the connectors varies and it's quite hard to tell exactly what you're looking/reading for, especially when a lot of these pages are poorly translated. So if anyone's got links to specific ones they know work well I'd be very grateful. Personally I'm looking for ones that work well when worn over the ear..

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #15,732 of 19,241
Just buy the stock cable or splurge and go balanced. Anything else is going to be much stiffer and you're not going to be happy with it.
These guys are in China but they will build you anything you want. I wanted a 50cm balanced cable with a 2.5 right angle plug and they made a very nice one. Sounds GREAT. Buy their stock cable on ebay and then immediately message them and tell them what you want and they will custom design it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-4ft-S...var=424688395138&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments
  • 20200624_220720_resized.jpg

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #15,733 of 19,241
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #15,734 of 19,241
Got my pair of ER3SE today, maybe somebody will be interested in the opinion of a person who never listens etymotic's.
Here is a package, somebody mentioned that they changed something, here is how my is looking:
IMG_1756.jpeg
IMG_1757.jpeg
IMG_1759.jpeg
Build and comfort:
1. The bodies of headphones are much smaller than I thought.
2. Easily go till the very end in my ears, without any discomfort (my wife is shocked how deep something can go in our ears :)))) ).
3. But, get them back is not so easy, still searching for a way how to do this properly.
4. Eartips for some reason are very rigid and edges pretty sharp, doesn't look like silicon at all (I'm using smaller ones, darker color).
I have at home some other tri-flange ear tips and they are so much softer but of course, don't fit at all on a tiny nozzle.
5. Cable is very soft and I like it, but very microphonic, but after insertion, I've put it over-ear and this effect almost disappears.
6. For sure I dont want to buy now another cable, it should be soft, now I understand why. So will go with original with 2.5mm connector (it so expensive :frowning2:).
Sound:
I like it, hard to explain everything with my level of English, but Im happy with it and main goal, very good sound isolation, is achieved for sure.

Now I need only to find good ear tips, somebody know is old gray original etymotic ear tips also so rigid? Or they soft? Looks like its only one options in my country to buy. Also I can buy Spinfit CP800, what do you think about them?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #15,735 of 19,241
Now I need only to find good ear tips, somebody know is old gray original etymotic ear tips also so rigid? Or they soft? Looks like its only one options in my country to buy. Also I can buy Spinfit CP800, what do you think about them?
Small 3 flanges are just too hard. 3 flanges grey or clear are softer. Also you could try 2 flange kit of various diameter and maybe one of them will be more to your liking.
But basically you will never know for sure unless you try.So you end up spending another 50-100$ trying to find a tip that fits you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back