If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 31, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #15,691 of 19,241
Been reading Reddit impressions, I really loathe how overhyped the ER2XR & how attacked the ER4XR is for being BA based?. If the ER5XR was just a ER4XR with a 6mm planar driver, Cue how Speed & detail suddenly matters to them. I still hold my view the HD600 is obsolete when the ER3SE & Sundara are a choice.

I just want to report back that I tried the 20 ohm resistor on the ER3SE. I have to say it definitely changes the FR and makes it noticeably brighter. Hence overall better details and more spatial sounding. Seems like indeed we can just buy the cheaper ER3 and apply this reisitor trick to get close to ER4 performance. Very happy with them so far!

The ER3 is just a ER4PT refresh, You can even get closer with EQ if you like it being easy to power.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #15,693 of 19,241
Been reading Reddit impressions, I really loathe how overhyped the ER2XR & how attacked the ER4XR is for being BA based?. If the ER5XR was just a ER4XR with a 6mm planar driver, Cue how Speed & detail suddenly matters to them. I still hold my view the HD600 is obsolete when the ER3SE & Sundara are a choice.

The ER3 is just a ER4PT refresh, You can even get closer with EQ if you like it being easy to power.
All ER SE/SRs pretty much obsolete HD600

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #15,694 of 19,241
All ER SE/SRs pretty much obsolete HD600

Yep, They get really sore that that the ER2 & ER4 can handle +12db slope under 100Hz. The HD6X0 & HD800 can't even handle +5db without distorting badly, The detail is both meh on them. But them so quick to say the ER4 is 2D sounding is really annoying when the HD600 has that actual issue, The ER4S & ER4SR never once sounded 2D to me?. The AKG K712 & DT 770 are older seem to have way better drivers despite being dynamic based.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #15,695 of 19,241
Yep, They get really sore that that the ER2 & ER4 can handle +12db slope under 100Hz. The HD6X0 & HD800 can't even handle +5db without distorting badly, The detail is both meh on them. But them so quick to say the ER4 is 2D sounding is really annoying when the HD600 has that actual issue, The ER4S & ER4SR never once sounded 2D to me?. The AKG K712 & DT 770 are older seem to have way better drivers despite being dynamic based.
Re:soundstage i think it is one characteristic which is just bull, really depends on flatness of perceived freq response.
HD600 has no depth as they are flat and this is ok for me.

Plus one has to be crazy thinking that a sound engineer can mix record so well that it will have 3d scene both on speakers and headphones.
OTOH, ER series actually let you hear conditions of mic placement and give way more clues about space where record was made. Sometimes, it still sounds in the head, but it is not important for me either (as I cant fix records either).
One could EQ ER with broad decline of hf and voices will sound more distant, but i find this detrimental for detail and "air"

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #15,696 of 19,241
Re:soundstage i think it is one characteristic which is just bull, really depends on flatness of perceived freq response.
HD600 has no depth as they are flat and this is ok for me.

Plus one has to be crazy thinking that a sound engineer can mix record so well that it will have 3d scene both on speakers and headphones.
OTOH, ER series actually let you hear conditions of mic placement and give way more clues about space where record was made. Sometimes, it still sounds in the head, but it is not important for me either (as I cant fix records either).
One could EQ ER with broad decline of hf and voices will sound more distant, but i find this detrimental for detail and "air"

Yeah you can fake stereo in pure mono recordings with reverb & panning effects. On the last bit Campfire Andro pretty much fake it wide sound with a 4KHz dip which like you said the ER can do to with EQ.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #15,698 of 19,241
Just received my ER3SE with updated packaging. They wrapped the twisted tie wires on too tight on the upper Y part of the cable and created several dents on them on each side.
The the upper Y part cables are thin and flimsy. I compared my ER3SE with some older version ER3SEs one the internet, the older ones do have thicker cables. Also my MK5 has thicker cables too.
I just want to point these things out, I'm no authority to say anything about the durability or resistance to damage of the thinner cables.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #15,699 of 19,241
Just received my ER3SE with updated packaging. They wrapped the twisted tie wires on too tight on the upper Y part of the cable and created several dents on them on each side.
The the upper Y part cables are thin and flimsy. I compared my ER3SE with some older version ER3SEs one the internet, the older ones do have thicker cables. Also my MK5 has thicker cables too.
I just want to point these things out, I'm no authority to say anything about the durability or resistance to damage of the thinner cables.

That doesn't sound good.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #15,700 of 19,241
The question is how are microphonics? How strong is the noise in your ears from cable rub or from objects touching the cable.

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #15,702 of 19,241
The microphonic is not as severe as the MK5, the ER3SE cable is a lot softer. Maybe because the cable hit less hard on/by things.
In this case soft cable would be a plus for me! If only Etymotic didnt try charging an arm and a leg for their replacement cables.

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #15,703 of 19,241
20201026_075332.jpg
so this may not be 100% relevant since this can work with any other pair of earphones and headphones, but since you guys are already talking about other headphones anyway I thought I would share what I've done over the weekend
finally I solved my bass imbalance problem by making an adjustable bass bypass attenuator... basically it softens the volume of every frequency except 100hz downwards, so you need to turn up the volume to get the same loudness, but you will also be turning the volume up on the bass, which is good as far as I am concerned
For each channel, the signal travels on 2 paths, one with just inline resistance , and the other with the inline resistance and an inductor which lets the bass through...
There is also a low output impedance to ground using a low value resistor, in series with a capacitor which will force the low frequencies to be sent to the drivers, in case anyone is wondering why there are capacitors in my circuit
I can use the potentiometer to adjust the ratio of how much signal from the simple and bass bypass paths get in each channel, so now I can compensate for the side with less bass, but overall it there is what feels like a 9db increase in the bass regions even at the minimum setting, its hard for me relate this with digital EQ's which I have been using thus far since this is physically making the bass louder... I have to be careful not to set it too high otherwise there is distortion
Plus now I can use my ER4SR's with high impedance amplifiers and there is no more background hiss
Hi,
could you share your schematics? I am thinking how to possibly adapt these for ER4P

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #15,705 of 19,241
Been testing my ER4 with differing bass slopes, from +2 ~ 10db under 140Hz. The ER4SR bass sounds way better to my ears, than the 4XR/2XR bass. Also did a 3.4db at 7KHz with Q 2.8, 11KHz high shelf 3db, 1.2db at 800Hz with Q 1.9, -2db at 1.6KHz with Q 1,9. The mids sound smoother and the treble has the energy it was missing, Which makes electronic/metal shine more.

So yeah i like the bright neutral flavour way more than the common dark & bassy tunings common these days. That have silly 7 ~ 8db treble to offset the masking the bass boosts can cause, Harman IE with no bass boost sounds like treble murder.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back