If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 17, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #15,571 of 19,243
Also applies to the ER4SR
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?emailprice=t

The price drops from $230 to $160 whwn the text ?emailprice=t is added to tne end of the URL

Shame that I cant find these deals in Europe. Shipping and import duty adds another $100 to the bill.
Gosh, that's downright mental. Which part of Europe are you at? Have you checked with online shipping services like comgateway or viabox? I just used cgw's live estimate feature and was quoted 27.60 USD for shipping the item to the UK (5-8 days, before tax and duties). From experience, the estimates are fairly accurate. I've used them on a number of occasions and been quite satisfied with their overall services.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #15,572 of 19,243
Sounds like what most bass boost in many dac/amp combos use, To avoid stressing headphones but not many have a 6db setting. The ER4SR with 50% of the ER2XR bass still sounds cleaner & sounds more full than the ER4XR, Since my centre freq at 100Hz to avoid bleed that common issue on the 4XR.
the independently adjustable left and right bass boost is more important to me than anything else, my serial number 041927 driver produces less bass than my 042009 driver

due to the uncontrolled nature of the frequency response below 100hz in Etymotic IEM's, i think that a bass imbalance compensator is a good thing to have
this weekend I shall be sourcing an old electric motor to extract the copper coils in order to build a pair of 100hz lowpass inductor coils, one for each channel

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #15,573 of 19,243
Very interesting hearing the ER2SE, after years without an Etymotic product. I'd love to hear your opinion. If they cost the same (which they don't, but for the sake of argument), would you get a ER2SE or a ER4SR/ER4XR? Or would you get a combo of the two? I was really impressed about the ER2SE. I'm a little nervous that the timber or the ER4SR might not be as good, though the overall detail retrieval might be better. But, if I didn't know the ER4* existed, I think I'd be happy with the ER2SE... Any advice? Are they different enough to justify both? Do you personally advocate that one is the better overall package than the other?

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #15,574 of 19,243
i was thinking of making a passive attenuator/bass bypass circuit, basically it reduces the level of all the frequencies except the bass
it means that you will need to give it more volume to get the same loudness level but the bass will be at the increased volume .... but i have never listened to my ER4SR's at my amp's maximum volume anyway so there's room to spare
and this will be completely analogue so that the sound quality is preserved
also, make it so that the bass bypass is adjustable on each side, so that i can center my bass response
only problem is finding a way to make the inductors with high enough values which correspond to low frequencies....
Just logged in by chance, and am actually listening with er4's still love em! I made a passive filter setup years years ago for mine to tame the hot 3k region and boost the low end worked fine. just an inline unit. these days i use my rockbox clip 24 band eq to fine tune tune them again sound fine. plus my hearing has changed over near 20years of having these phones so tweaking is useful for that too, though not felt the need as yet.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #15,575 of 19,243
Very interesting hearing the ER2SE, after years without an Etymotic product. I'd love to hear your opinion. If they cost the same (which they don't, but for the sake of argument), would you get a ER2SE or a ER4SR/ER4XR? Or would you get a combo of the two? I was really impressed about the ER2SE. I'm a little nervous that the timber or the ER4SR might not be as good, though the overall detail retrieval might be better. But, if I didn't know the ER4* existed, I think I'd be happy with the ER2SE... Any advice? Are they different enough to justify both? Do you personally advocate that one is the better overall package than the other?
My case: old ER4S vs ER2XR (with 2-flange tips pack)
The biggest issue of Etymotic for me are microphonics/cabling. ER2SE/XR have a fragile cable but microphonics are lower. ER4SR/XR have more sturdy cable but probably microphonics will be higher. ER4S I have came with old cable with ultra high microphonics.
So for normal listening ER2XR would be more optimal here, as you can move and do things while listening to them and ER2XR "breath" more and sound fuller by default. ER4S I have are slightly more transparent in HF but only with transparent 3-flange tips (with 2 flange tips difference is not so obvious). And with ER4S I was afraid of every single move as I would hear it through headphones.
So unless you are buying using a special offer (like one from Adorama) I would get ER2SE. Amazon.com has good price with global shipping and even their product return process is very easy (my er2xr failed and Amazon offered free return shipping with DHL).

ER2SE/XR are not really easy to drive due to their 15 Ohm resistance.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #15,577 of 19,243
Gosh, that's downright mental. Which part of Europe are you at? Have you checked with online shipping services like comgateway or viabox? I just used cgw's live estimate feature and was quoted 27.60 USD for shipping the item to the UK (5-8 days, before tax and duties). From experience, the estimates are fairly accurate. I've used them on a number of occasions and been quite satisfied with their overall services.
Netherlands.
Price $160, Adorama shipping $43 (only option) ==> total = $203 Now add 26% import duty and the total becomes $256. Which is still cheaper than the $400 (€ 340) which is the regular price over here.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #15,578 of 19,243

I ordered the 2SE when I saw Adorama had them on sale for $70 and they came in yesterday. It sounds veeeeery good. The frequency response is practically the same as the 4SR. The 4SR sounds every so slightly purer and more refined to my ears but I could be biased. The only way to tell would be a blind test and I can't blind test myself. And the two earphones are different sensitivities so it's hard to do a A/B comparison with matching volumes.

I ordered it to be my "beater" headphone. It's something I can take outside around with me, carry in my pocket, toss them in and out of bags, etc. and not get too worried if they get damaged or lost. I'm happy my "beater" headphone gives me audiophile quality sound.

2SE could be the sound reproduction end game for a lot of people if the in-ear form factor works for them.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #15,579 of 19,243
Listening to some more songs on both the 2SE and 4SR, the 4SR does sound finer (resolution) to my ears. The vocals are more present and pops out a little more. If both were the same price I would pick the 4SR every single time. Frequency response wise they are both pretty much the same so I guess this, for me, shows there are things other than FR that aren't measured or measurable.

graph.png

Will most people notice? I think for most people, audio is an afterthought and not a main focus so for the vast majority, the 4SR would not be worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #15,581 of 19,243
Listening to some more songs on both the 2SE and 4SR, the 4SR does sound finer (resolution) to my ears. The vocals are more present and pops out a little more. If both were the same price I would pick the 4SR every single time. Frequency response wise they are both pretty much the same so I guess this, for me, shows there are things other than FR that aren't measured or measurable.

graph.png

Will most people notice? I think for most people, audio is an afterthought and not a main focus so for the vast majority, the 4SR would not be worth the extra cost.

True, The bass speed on the 4SR is beats the 2SE by a long shot & Treble has more detail like more crisp. Not sure if it just the nature of BA drivers but the 4SR mids outperform anything i tried. Can sound even better with 3db at 7k & -2db at 1.6k, No slight honky mids & the treble even more detailed.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #15,582 of 19,243
oh my, I just bit the bullet on that $160 ER4XR today. Are they new or already used? Just hurriedly proceeded to order and forgot checking all the details. Lol

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #15,584 of 19,243
just confirmed via Adorama live chat that what I'm buying is a brandnew one.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #15,585 of 19,243
Mine just arrived from Adorama. Sound AMAZING. Feel like... well, what's funnier:

- A Covid test for the ears
- Richard Pryor when he had that monkey that kept screwing his ear

Either way, I'm looking forward to extensively A/B testing them against my Andromedas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back