If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 27, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #15,152 of 19,241
It is relatively neutral in the sense that RE400 is fairly flat up to 2kHz. But as a whole it is not exactly neutral. At least not when you compare it to any Etymotic.

RE400vsER4S.png
Diffused field compensated.
You meant raw instead of DF :wink:

I get pretty much the same graphs until about 8kHz where insertion, tips and measurement rigs start to play a bigger role. And it's very close to how I hear them subjectively.

May 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #15,153 of 19,241
May 27, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #15,154 of 19,241
Placebo DF compensated? because those graphs don't look DF compensated, like, at all.

May 27, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #15,155 of 19,241
can someone compare the ER2XR and ER3XR? Which one is smoother and warmer?
Based on graphs, they are almost the same. The ER2XR will have a little bit more presente mids and more bass. Treble ia basically the same.

I prefere the most neutral ones. So, I would pick the ER2SE or the ER3SE. Currently I have an ER4SR and it is the best IEM I have ever heard and it's my endgame.

May 28, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #15,157 of 19,241
I have the ER4XR and love it. I understand the SR has less distortion. Has anyone used both and preferred one over the other and can you explain why?

To me on the ER4SR seems to win on overall clarity, The bass to me sound more realistic. Since i can notice clarity hit once i pass +2db bass boost, On heavier music the SR can still punch hard & very deep assuming a perfect seal. Same with the ER2SE.

May 28, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #15,158 of 19,241
I have the ER4XR and love it. I understand the SR has less distortion. Has anyone used both and preferred one over the other and can you explain why?

I have both and prefer the XR. I haven't had access to my SR's since March, so it would be interesting to listen to them after only having the XR's for the last few months. I'm not a bass head, but I tried the XR, then exchanged them for SR's. Over a year later I bought a pair of XR's. The SR's were just too lean, the lack of sub-bass made them sound unnatural in some instances. Overall they sounded a little dry to my ears. I think the XR is actually more "accurate". Some people think they're too analytical sounding - but I think they're one of the best balances of an analytic sound, that is still a good reference for mixing, but also fun to listen to with no fatigue. I find I listen to the XR's at a quieter volume level, they work better in loud environments and have a slightly less in-your-head sound than the SR...

May 29, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #15,160 of 19,241

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #15,161 of 19,241
Still riding with ER4S from 1998, (I think, lost the receipt) rebuilt and matched by Etymotic in 2014. I had tried to replace them with "new kids on the block/IEM hero of the hour" several times but I think my ears have grown around them. (Likely aided by using moulds) They have thousands of hours on them.

There are a ton of IEMs out there with their own signature but the Etys are singular in that the signature is not the stand-out feature: they insert very little between me and the "as recorded" sound I most often try to find.

I keep some easy to live with IEMs and cans that have their color for when I want more hedonistic pleasure but for work it is the Etys I trust.

All the best.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #15,162 of 19,241
mojo_er4xr.jpg
Used Xr with new silver cable from Lavri. Noone responded to my questions, so let my just report, that I know the answers now :)

May 31, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #15,165 of 19,241
Trying to understand what is wrong with my er2xr measurement via Arta and a Dayton imm-6 mic (didn't load up the calibration file.)

What accounts for the big dip in the sub-bass and lower bass regions? I coupled the iem with a 8mm tube and placed the ety between 1mm to 12 mm distances from the mic with no difference in the overall shape of the graph.

er2xr_test.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back