If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #14,941 of 19,243
i started to lose treble energy yesterday from the right side with the ER4S so i changed the dampers (3 years without change), what a difference, they are fully refreshed and the sound is much cleaner and more "analytical", those were my last original Ety dampers (the plastic ones), i have a small bag with brown, green and white Knowles dampers (metal pipe ones), i hope that when i have to change them the next time the nozzle will stay intact (not cracked) that is my main concern with the dampers that i have in hand now
or i can just purchase original dampers, will see
The green knowles dampers seems to be the same as the Ety ones. Probably knowles makes them for Etymotic:

https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/09/etymotic-research-er4sr-iem.html?m=1

I always clean inside the eartips hole, exactly to preserve the dampers.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #14,942 of 19,243
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #14,943 of 19,243
Hi , I am keen to look at the ER4 XR and would appreciate some guidance .

I currently have the andromeda’s and they are decent enough, but I have never really been happy with the fit. Tried various tips and just always appear to shuffle loose in my ear.

For me this then lacks a bit of bass

The ER4 XR interests me as I like the idea of insertion as I think this will give me a good fit and hopefully a better bass performance .

The Andros are good at other areas so I know I may lose some of those qualities maybe.

I have some 1more triple ears and they fit snugly into my ear and never move ......but unfortunately not a patch on the Andros .

Because of the issues with the fit of the Andros for portable use I am now using the Sony WHXM2 more and more . Great for the bass but lacking in clarity for me, but on the go they are not too bad at all.

I am hoping maybe that the XR may solve my problem . They will be used with an iPhone XR and my ifi iematch . Any guidance or help will be appreciated

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #14,944 of 19,243
Hi , I am keen to look at the ER4 XR and would appreciate some guidance .

I currently have the andromeda’s and they are decent enough, but I have never really been happy with the fit. Tried various tips and just always appear to shuffle loose in my ear.

For me this then lacks a bit of bass

The ER4 XR interests me as I like the idea of insertion as I think this will give me a good fit and hopefully a better bass performance .

The Andros are good at other areas so I know I may lose some of those qualities maybe.

I have some 1more triple ears and they fit snugly into my ear and never move ......but unfortunately not a patch on the Andros .

Because of the issues with the fit of the Andros for portable use I am now using the Sony WHXM2 more and more . Great for the bass but lacking in clarity for me, but on the go they are not too bad at all.

I am hoping maybe that the XR may solve my problem . They will be used with an iPhone XR and my ifi iematch . Any guidance or help will be appreciated

For me, the ER4XR is much superior to the Andro, in terms of naturalness of sound, clarity, neutrality... But, the Andromeda with a fit and isolation will give you much more bass quantity. Anyway, I highly recommend the ER4XR. I think you will fall in love with it. But don't forget that eu need deep insersiton to get the correct sound.

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #14,945 of 19,243
For me, the ER4XR is much superior to the Andro, in terms of naturalness of sound, clarity, neutrality... But, the Andromeda with a fit and isolation will give you much more bass quantity. Anyway, I highly recommend the ER4XR. I think you will fall in love with it. But don't forget that eu need deep insersiton to get the correct sound.

Totally agree. Perhaps one way to "minimize" the damage is to try and get the ER2XR. It will let you try out the fit and the ety sound on a budget.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #14,946 of 19,243
Totally agree. Perhaps one way to "minimize" the damage is to try and get the ER2XR. It will let you try out the fit and the ety sound on a budget.

Yes, I forgot that. I also think that the ER2XR is a safer choice. You will get the Ety's sound, but with quite a bit more bass. If you like the ER2XR, then you buy the ER4XR.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #14,947 of 19,243
I have the Andros and ER4 XR's - I find myself using the XR's more than the Andros, but I haven't experimented with different tips for the Andros yet. IME the only thing I miss when using the XR's is soundstage. The Ety's are more in-your-head, but for some listeners the trade-off of wide soundstage is worth losing for more natural sound...

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #14,948 of 19,243
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. if I do go for them it will be the ER4 XR as I can get them for about £250 if I get them from the USA and that’s after the customs .
if they are as good as the Andros then they are quiet a bargain
I know the bass on the andro is good as if I sit with my fingers gently pressing them into my ear , the bass is amazing , so I know it’s a fit issue. But I am using large comply foam tips so not sure if I can improve on this

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #14,949 of 19,243
I have the Andros and ER4 XR's - I find myself using the XR's more than the Andros, but I haven't experimented with different tips for the Andros yet. IME the only thing I miss when using the XR's is soundstage. The Ety's are more in-your-head, but for some listeners the trade-off of wide soundstage is worth losing for more natural sound...

Thanks for this and it’s an important point you make . I do like a good soundstage so this is something I will have to consider

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #14,950 of 19,243
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. if I do go for them it will be the ER4 XR as I can get them for about £250 if I get them from the USA and that’s after the customs .
if they are as good as the Andros then they are quiet a bargain
I know the bass on the andro is good as if I sit with my fingers gently pressing them into my ear , the bass is amazing , so I know it’s a fit issue. But I am using large comply foam tips so not sure if I can improve on this
ER4 is much better than Andro if you value the tone of musical instruments. The fit is crucial here.
As for Mr.Green - it's just overhyped for "features" which I can hardly call unique. A good analogy would be playing with equalizer. You're fiddling with it & get something in return that sounds kinda "fun" albeit tonally incorrect. That pretty much sums it up.
If you're into multi BA, give a try to new Sony IER series. Might get rid of Andromeda and resolve the issue with fit.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #14,951 of 19,243
ER4 is much better than Andro if you value the tone of musical instruments. The fit is crucial here.
As for Mr.Green - it's just overhyped for "features" which I can hardly call unique. A good analogy would be playing with equalizer. You're fiddling with it & get something in return that sounds kinda "fun" albeit tonally incorrect. That pretty much sums it up.
If you're into multi BA, give a try to new Sony IER series. Might get rid of Andromeda and resolve the issue with fit.

to be fair, I doubt the Ier-z1r get rid of fit issues for anyone. They seem so insanely uncomfortable for anyone who does not posses magical giant sized ears

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #14,952 of 19,243
Yes, I forgot that. I also think that the ER2XR is a safer choice. You will get the Ety's sound, but with quite a bit more bass. If you like the ER2XR, then you buy the ER4XR.
ER2 uses dynamic driver while ER4 and ER3 use BA driver. I would recommend ER3XR although it's not as budget-friendly as ER2's, but the sound signature is more close to that of ER4XR.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #14,953 of 19,243
ER2 uses dynamic driver while ER4 and ER3 use BA driver. I would recommend ER3XR although it's not as budget-friendly as ER2's, but the sound signature is more close to that of ER4XR.
I think that both are equally close. The ER3XR is closer on bass, but I think the ER2XR is closer on mids. The ER3XR with a 75ohm impedance adapter is basically an ER4XR. Anyway, the ER2XR is the bassier.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #14,954 of 19,243
This is exactly what I did. And they are incredible, both of them.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #14,955 of 19,243

I do enjoy the Andros and I think thats the main thing with my IEMs so I am not sure replacing them yet is my aim . i could try some more tips but where do you stop , I think I have tried 3 or 4 now and maybe more the shape of the Andro rather than the tips.
I think the XR appealed as I tried an older model a few years ago and liked the insertion style.. So I was thinking about buying them in addition to my Andros.
I have some HD800S headphones and i think these are a very accurate HP so I was thinking the XR would give me a similar sound signature but with a bit of extra bass........although I know it is never that simple :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back