If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #14,748 of 19,243
I have both, plus the ER4XR. The ER4S is very close to the SR but I think the SR is a bit better in imaging, maybe a bit better in detail retrieval and seems a bit smoother than the 4S. The differences are small though. With that said, the SR has a much better cord that is user replaceable and a little less microphonic. The cord makes a big difference to me. I have in no way retired and will not sell my fifteen year old ER4S, it’s that good. I don’t know how much you paid or what the seller is willing to discount, but it should be substantial or I would return it. After all, if you wanted a 4S you would have purchased a 4S. One other thing, the ER4SR is much easier to drive than the ER4S. An unanticipated benefit of that is the ER4SR drains much less battery power from my Mojo than the ER4S.

And regarding 4XR vs 4SR?

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #14,749 of 19,243
Oh I’ve only had the SR for five days. I won’t compare them for at least a couple of weeks. Some people believe in burn in, some don’t. I’ll say this. When I first got my 4S fifteen plus years ago, I was disappointed. Sure, they were detailed and transparent. I could hear all that but there was no magic. After about two weeks I was in love with them. All I had then was an iPod, so I chalked it up to that and brain burn in. But years later I got the 4XR and again I was disappointed. No magic. So what was it that time? I am already used to the Ety FR and I’m using a Mojo. The magic did come after a short time. Now I have a 4SR and it’s the same thing. Out of the box, no magic. But that is changing fast. So I’m not ready to talk about comparing the 4SR with the 4XR yet. That’s just me so maybe it’s in my head, maybe not.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #14,750 of 19,243
Oh I’ve only had the XR for five days. I won’t compare them for at least a couple of weeks. Some people believe in burn in, some don’t. I’ll say this. When I first got my 4S fifteen plus years ago, I was disappointed. Sure, they were detailed and transparent. I could hear all that but there was no magic. After about two weeks I was in love with them. All I had then was an iPod, so I chalked it up to that and brain burn in. But years later I got the 4SR and again I was disappointed. No magic. So what was it that time? I am already used to the Ety FR and I’m using a Mojo. The magic did come after a short time. Now I have a 4XR and it’s the same thing. Out of the box, no magic. But that is changing fast. So I’m not ready to talk about the 4XR yet. That’s just me so maybe it’s in my head, maybe not.

Thank you for your honest point of view.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #14,752 of 19,243
Looking for some advice. I recently purchased a used ER4SR on Amazon, but the seller sent me an ER4S instead. The seller offered me a partial refund (still determining how much), or I can just return the whole thing.

Is there any reason to keep the ER4S even at a slightly discounted price? Or should I just return it?

I would just keep it the ER4S its still a fantastic headphone. I highly doubt you'll be missing much from a ER4SR sound wise.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #14,754 of 19,243
Jan 29, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #14,756 of 19,243
Bit of a strange situation, I was told by an Etymotic rep that the new packaging (with Lucid on the front cardboard cover) was introduced in Q4, 2019 and that all new packaged sets included the new tips. Hope they get put for sale separately soon...
That might explain why mine didn't come with the bi flanges, but came with a carrying case with the Lucid Audio logo on the front.. Anyone else have the same thing?

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #14,758 of 19,243
Hi all, I’ve currently got an old set of er4p (red/blue with green pod). I’m considering moving on to a new set of er4xr or sr. Is there a big enough improvement to justify the price? I have a set of acs custom moulds as tips, so would consider the er4 before moving to other makes/models. Thanks for any comments.

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #14,759 of 19,243
I'm I the only one enjoying the long stem small tri flanges. I get the same isolation and much better comfort, I actually got ear canal scab from the large flanges. But the thing is, Is it normal for a sudden boost in treble?.

https://imgur.com/a/sMUQHSu
Another long stem small (or "standard") tri flange user here.

No boost in treble for me.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #14,760 of 19,243

I've had both the 4SR and 4XR for a bit more than 3y now (and the 4P/S for much longer than that). Much prefer the SR over the XR. Imho the SR just sounds smoother, more natural and coherent, with same detail retrieval and slightly better imaging. The only advantage of the XR is a fuller lower end, but I've always found the lower freq boost a tad too much for my tastes, throwing the balance off for little benefit. Overall the SR maybe gets 60% of my listening time, the XR only 10% (the rest being other headphones). I still like it a lot, but the SR is just the better earphone in my view, despite me originally wanting a tiny bass boost on the classic ER-4S (!).

I can understand people who like the XR more however, it’s simply a great all rounder and a good addition to the ER-4 line of products. But when I reach for the ER4 I want that characteristic clean Ety signature sound, and in that regard the ER4SR just seems to deliver more than others. Now I’ve seen there was a debate about how objectively neutral it was, but I don’t have the scientific competences to contribute. The SR just sounds incredibly ‘correct’ on most tracks.

Both the SR and XR require quite a few hours of brain burn-in when coming from other headphones in order to get fully accustomed to them. It takes much more time than any other headphone in my experience due to their unique signature. For instance I've been using UM Pro 30 series for the last 2 weeks because they're comfortable IEM for commuting with warm, laid-back sound, well getting back to the SR took me a good 4-5hrs listening before I could fully appreciate them again.

Have yet to try the ER2 and ER3 series, especially the ER2 and their DD which raise my curiosity... unfortunately they are very pricey in Europe, just like most American IEMs being marketed here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back