If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #14,731 of 19,241
enjoy your Ety
9940948_l.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #14,732 of 19,241
When me and another disagreed that the KSE is neutral.

Show me where I said the KSE measures neutral. I will repeat, for at least the third time, I don't want a neutral headphone.

Am I made a 180 on this point?? Let's remember this:

"If you don't understand the need for FR variation with SPL, that is also explained in the paper."

I said several times in previous posts that when they not compensates the FR according to the SPL levels (Hearing aids), they use a thing called "AVERAGE" to compensates the SPL levels on the FR Target. That's what I mean when I said that the Fletcher-Munson curve is t"into account".

All the FR targets, including devices that compensates different FRs for the different SPL levels are based on AVERAGE, or do you think that they will measure each of the 7.7 billion individual FRs in all possible (infinite) SPL levels??

Now I'm sure that you are trying to distort my opinions.
Let me give you the benefit of the doubt as this is probably your second language.

Averaging doesn't change the fact that to have a perceived flat response at low SPL requires the AVERAGE FR to be slightly u- or v-shaped.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #14,733 of 19,241
Show me where I said the KSE measures neutral. I will repeat, for at least the third time, I don't want a neutral headphone.

Let me give you the benefit of the doubt as this is probably your second language.

Averaging doesn't change the fact that to have a perceived flat response at low SPL requires the AVERAGE FR to be slightly u- or v-shaped.

Of course. In practice, the average is exactly about approximation. I think this is obvious to any human being.

Considering this, then, Ety target is simply the closest to something neutral, so it is considered the most "neutral". As a result, the ER4S/SR is much more neutral than a Shure KSE. That was the main point of the discussion.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #14,735 of 19,241
Considering this, then, Ety target is simply the closest to something neutral, so it is considered the most "neutral". As a result, the ER4S/SR is much more neutral than a Shure KSE. That was the main point of the discussion.

Yes, but as a result, at low volumes, the ER4S/SR will be perceived as much more n-shaped than a Shure KSE.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #14,737 of 19,241
Has anyone ordered a DIY er4s from EarphoneDIYLabs? https://earphonediylabs.com/shop/diy-kit/etymotic-research-er4p-b-x-extended-range-in-ear-monitors/ I am curious if these are in fact legit and sound the same as the real thing, how good is QC etc., because it would be an easy IEM recommendation to make to people at that price. Might even buy one myself to have a spare. ER2 exists, but only good prices in US :frowning2:
Don't go there. This site sells fakes. There are all sorts of reasons not to buy from this site, quite apart from the fact that their counterfeits don't sound as good as the authentic models they're copying,

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #14,738 of 19,241
Don't go there. This site sells fakes. There are all sorts of reasons not to buy from this site, quite apart from the fact that their counterfeits don't sound as good as the authentic models they're copying,
Their other iems definitely look sketchy, but I don't see how they could mess up ER4 unless almost everything written on that page is a blatant lie. They appear to use the same driver and you can see there is a resistor in the shell as well so I am inclined to believe this could be legit.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #14,739 of 19,241
Their other iems definitely look sketchy, but I don't see how they could mess up ER4 unless almost everything written on that page is a blatant lie. They appear to use the same driver and you can see there is a resistor in the shell as well so I am inclined to believe this could be legit.
I promise you it's not legit. I've measured their fakes. They're quite poor, with even worse QC, i.e., a massive unit variance.

Depending on where you live, it can be illegal to send counterfeits through the mail system. Please don't support counterfeiters.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #14,741 of 19,241
Has anyone ordered a DIY er4s from EarphoneDIYLabs? https://earphonediylabs.com/shop/diy-kit/etymotic-research-er4p-b-x-extended-range-in-ear-monitors/ I am curious if these are in fact legit and sound the same as the real thing, how good is QC etc., because it would be an easy IEM recommendation to make to people at that price. Might even buy one myself to have a spare. ER2 exists, but only good prices in US :frowning2:

Definitely NOT legit using Etymotic brand all over the place and even the product name says it's and etymotic product, which it clearly isn't. They claim they use the same BA driver as Etymotic, but it doesn't make their product in any way or form and Etymotic prodcut.

Misleading is a mild term in this case.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #14,743 of 19,241
Looking for some advice. I recently purchased a used ER4SR on Amazon, but the seller sent me an ER4S instead. The seller offered me a partial refund (still determining how much), or I can just return the whole thing.

Is there any reason to keep the ER4S even at a slightly discounted price? Or should I just return it?

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #14,744 of 19,241
Looking for some advice. I recently purchased a used ER4SR on Amazon, but the seller sent me an ER4S instead. The seller offered me a partial refund (still determining how much), or I can just return the whole thing.

Is there any reason to keep the ER4S even at a slightly discounted price? Or should I just return it?
I have both, plus the ER4XR. The ER4S is very close to the SR but I think the SR is a bit better in imaging, maybe a bit better in detail retrieval and seems a bit smoother than the 4S. The differences are small though. With that said, the SR has a much better cord that is user replaceable and a little less microphonic. The cord makes a big difference to me. I have in no way retired and will not sell my fifteen year old ER4S, it’s that good. I don’t know how much you paid or what the seller is willing to discount, but it should be substantial or I would return it. After all, if you wanted a 4S you would have purchased a 4S. One other thing, the ER4SR is much easier to drive than the ER4S. An unanticipated benefit of that is the ER4SR drains much less battery power from my Mojo than the ER4S.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #14,745 of 19,241
I agree. Unless you have a reason for wanting a 4S, send it back and get the 4SR you wanted. Even after 15+ years of 4S being my favorite and my personal reference sound, I find the 4SR a compelling upgrade and my 4Ss (I'm a big enough fan that I actually own three) get very little listening time any more. I just prefer the sonics of the 4SR.

Besides sonics, the 4SR is easier to drive (though I'm picky and I still think it needs proper amplification to sound "right"), and has a nicer and more supple cable, with a less cumbersome splitter. Which might not seem important, but for me it has an ongoing, even if small, positive impact on the experience. And there are new first-party cables in the pipeline to let you use your 4SR balanced or with a bluetooth neckband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back