If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 3, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #14,208 of 19,198
does anyone know if the knowles damper filters work with the er4xr/er3xr iems? http://soundlinkhearing.com/product...se425-se535-se846-tf10-lm5144/?v=1c5e22f0776d

also would they work with the new er2xr series? I know they're dynamic drivers but idk how these filters work with different drivers.

If by 'work' you mean whether Knowles damper will fit inside the nozzle of ER4SR/XR, ER3SE/XR, and ER2SE/XR, then the answer is yes. On the other hand, how different damper will alter the sound is a different story.

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #14,209 of 19,198
I'm unable to find er4b in my country. Anyone has tried shure se425? Those are available in India. I own the srh1540 nd I love it to death. Shure regards the se425 as their live sound monitor and pushes it above even their se846 for compatibility with live music.

846 is more like their experimental product afaik to do one particular thing extremely well.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #14,210 of 19,198
If by 'work' you mean whether Knowles damper will fit inside the nozzle of ER4SR/XR, ER3SE/XR, and ER2SE/XR, then the answer is yes. On the other hand, how different damper will alter the sound is a different story.
Yeah I saw a review on clarity Fidelity or something that showed how each filter color changes the sound.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #14,211 of 19,198
DSC_0193.jpg

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #14,213 of 19,198
are you using the er4xr cable on the er2xr?

also im new to the iem game so im wondering how the er2xr maintains the same level of noise reduction as the er4xr/er3xr while using a dynamic driver. I thought balanced armatures isolate more/dynamic isolate less going by how they operate?

It is not an ER4SR/XR cable. The upper part is originally a short (around 50~60cm) FiiO MMCX cable, modified with Etymotic MMCX connector. The lower extension cable is built by me, to extend the cable length to around 120cm. The cable is made this way so the upper part can be used for Bluetooth adapter (FiiO BTR3, EarStudio ES100, Shanling UP2, etc) when shorter length is preferred. The extended length on the other hand can be used with DAP or smartphone where longer length is preferred.

Isolation is more about the eartips and the shape of the housing, as well as venting. Since ER2 doesn't really vent and has the same shape and eartips as ER4, isolation is about the same.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #14,214 of 19,198
It is not an ER4SR/XR cable. The upper part is originally a short (around 50~60cm) FiiO MMCX cable, modified with Etymotic MMCX connector. The lower extension cable is built by me, to extend the cable length to around 120cm. The cable is made this way so the upper part can be used for Bluetooth adapter (FiiO BTR3, EarStudio ES100, Shanling UP2, etc) when shorter length is preferred. The extended length on the other hand can be used with DAP or smartphone where longer length is preferred.

Isolation is more about the eartips and the shape of the housing, as well as venting. Since ER2 doesn't really vent and has the same shape and eartips as ER4, isolation is about the same.
I was looking into the short FiiO MMCX cable to use with my es100. did you modify the cable with the etyomotic MMCX connectors yourself or did you buy it somewhere? if so I'd greatly appreciate where you found it. Thats pretty neat making your own cables. I'd definitely attempt to make my own one day once I learn more about this complex electrical wiring stuff.

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #14,215 of 19,198
I was looking into the short FiiO MMCX cable to use with my es100. did you modify the cable with the etyomotic MMCX connectors yourself or did you buy it somewhere? if so I'd greatly appreciate where you found it. Thats pretty neat making your own cables. I'd definitely attempt to make my own one day once I learn more about this complex electrical wiring stuff.

Mod'ed it myself.

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #14,217 of 19,198
Do you know some MMCX cables with 90 degree plug? I think that with such cable Etys should be able to wear OTE.

Been there, done that.

Built this last night - 2.5mm balanced plug with 90 degree mmcx connector. Don't really think the official balanced cable is coming anytime soon, if at all. The exchange of Ety's ownership a few months ago probably doesn't help either.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #14,219 of 19,198
DSC_0194.jpg

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #14,220 of 19,198
My ER2XR has arrived lately. Here is my first thoughts with the tri-flange tips which come attached to iems out of the box:

Can't reach TOTL iems level by any means and it's totally normal considering the price tag. Resolution is worse than ER4XR, upper treble rolled off and not enough extension, female vocals is ok, male vocals need to be more clear, good amount of subbass quantity but can't say the same for its control, bloated frankly.

After this initial impressions I was seriously considering returning them. Because I liked ER4XR with tri-flange tips rather than foams. How could be different with these? Well, that's a mistake for dynamic drivers, at least for this one apparently.

I've been listening to it with foam tips for 3 hours without any fatigue. Foams comparing to stock tri-flanged tips, more dynamism in midrange, no more bloated sub to mid area, midbass quantity meets the quality finally, definitely more clear upper mids and timbre is one of the best you can hear from a dynamic driver iem. A change of tips then viola! Completely different experience for me. At this price tag, ER2XR "with foam tips" is a no brainer. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back