If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 26, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #13,606 of 19,243
If Etymotics are 10/10 in isolation, the closest I’ve ever experienced otherwise is maybe like FiiO or iBasso IEMs with Comply tips and that’s maybe like 8.75/10 in isolation.

I use Shure Olive tips my Etys and nothing really beats them in sheer isolation.

Try custom molds for the ER4s. My ER4SRs with customs molds are actually uncomfortably silent when inserted, until the music starts. You hear your pulse, your breathing, and nothing else. My phone can be ringing next to me and I don't hear it.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #13,608 of 19,243
How do you get a consistant seal and position in the ears for good sound? I seem to be doing it the same yet get a different effect every time. Earlier today a thin distant treble harsh sound, then later on seemingly putting them in the same way I get a round expansive realistic sound with great bass where it feels like standing in amongst the musicians. I don't know what I am doing differently when it works.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #13,609 of 19,243
How do you get a consistant seal and position in the ears for good sound? I seem to be doing it the same yet get a different effect every time. Earlier today a thin distant treble harsh sound, then later on seemingly putting them in the same way I get a round expansive realistic sound with great bass where it feels like standing in amongst the musicians. I don't know what I am doing differently when it works.

by observation and repetition. i personally would find the position that sound the best and most comfortable (which would be a compromise between the two), then i stopped the music and familiarize myself to the feeling of the earpiece inside my ears, and try to remember it. then it's just a matter of repetition of getting that same feeling

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #13,610 of 19,243
i want to share a new eartip finding:

i recently bought a (really cheap) Yotaphone 2 earphone, because i was curious about the eartips. glad to say, using an adapter, it fits my ears like a glove. it can go deep like the triple flange, but because of the more bulbous tip, it hugs my ears much better, also the material is much softer and flexible, so it can conform and bend a little, following my inner ears.

20190627_100204-01.jpeg

comparison to the Etymotic triple flange

20190627_100247-01.jpeg 20190627_100253-01.jpeg

and the bonus: the earphones itself is not bad/crappy sounding at all!

i ended up buying two more, just for spares.

it also comes in black:

20190627_100523-01.jpeg

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #13,611 of 19,243
Thanks for the reply.

I seem to have had this fit problem with Etymotics for a while and I am at my wit’s end. The ER2XR sound is so perfect for me but getting a good fit is so difficult. Neither triflange size seals super well for me (can still hear my fingers rubbing test), stock foam is a little too big and hurts after 20 minutes in, small beige foam doesn’t seal at all, shure olives seal well enough but hurt after 30 minutes. I have yet to try comply but I’m skeptical due to its durability.

What’s really frustrating is that, when I had the ER2SE last week, the third party triflanges I bought would seal perfectly almost every time. I thought I had it down. Then, when I got 2XR and switched the tips over from the 2SE, they suddenly stopped sealing no matter how hard I tried. Now I can’t really find anything that both seals well and doesn’t hurt after short listening sessions.

Does anybody have any advice or am I SOL? If it helps, it seems I can seal the second bend but can never seal the first, outer ear canal

Understood! I actually seem to have the problem where my ear canals are too big, so the extra nozzle length will likely help with ensuring a seal.

You can try what I mentioned on page 900--up-adapting the etys to eartips for larger bore earphones

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #13,612 of 19,243
And what can I say... If everyone had this store within travel distance, nobody here would be having fit problems with their Etys or any earphones or headphones for that matter... Even a dedicated trip to Hong Kong may be worth it for some of you :ksc75smile:

LRM_EXPORT_93613505764415_20190627_162445959.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_93814189952099_20190627_162806643.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_93731510764214_20190627_162643964.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_93675227621683_20190627_162547681.jpeg

1st floor in Sim City, Mong Kok

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 30, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #13,613 of 19,243
My new cable is ready, based on Fiio LC3.5b, made to fit my ER3XR.

Step 1, remove the colored rings by using a blunt knife or small screwdriver. They are glued to the mmcx connectors. This is all that is needed so that the cable will fit to the etymotics mmcx connector. They will fit nicely now.

Step 2 is to remove the plastic bottom knob from the earloops carefully with a knife.
This will reveal 2 small metal clamps at the bottom of the ear loops that need removing.

Step 3, Note the hardest step, removing of the earloop without dancing the cable. This was hard because this is made of very sturdy silicone that was almost impossible to cut. I finally messaged to cut then with a pear of metal Side cutter.

And here the final result. The left / right indication is gone so I need some tape or other market to indication the channel.

Microphonics is less than with the standard cable but not completely gone. First impression is that the trebble extension is a little less, the sounds a bit warmer. More testing to be done next week.

Thanks to you I got Fiio's pure silver cable and did the quick mod as yours. Serious comparing these to the pure copper from Plussound it's definitely has more details. Sounds really good.
IMG_20190629_235436.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #13,614 of 19,243
Odd enough, I actually find the ER4SR tuned and sounding the best with the stock cable.

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #13,615 of 19,243
DSC_0211-1.jpg

Shanling UP2 + short cable + ER4SR

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #13,616 of 19,243
What cable is that? I prefer single strand cables over multi-strand braided ones but it's hard to find a single strand cable without memory effect.

Also more info on the MMCX connector please, it looks like it's transparent smoked?

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #13,617 of 19,243
What cable is that? I prefer single strand cables over multi-strand braided ones but it's hard to find a single strand cable without memory effect.

Also more info on the MMCX connector please, it looks like it's transparent smoked?

Silver plated copper, nothing particularly special about it. Sourced it from Taobao as an unfinished cable and put the Ety specific MMCX connector onto it myself. The MMCX connector is just the black version of the exact same transparent connector I used it the past. You can get it from eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc. Black goes better with darker color cable where transparent goes better with silvery cable.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #13,618 of 19,243
e116pws.jpg

I would be happy if Etymotic made a shorter (1-1.2m) cable.

Right: Null Audio Arete MKIII using Lunashops connectors. Not a fan of these connectors as they make an already long IEM even longer and stick out too much. Also the cable itself is stiff with strong memory effect and quite microphonic.

Left: plusSound X Series re-terminated with I believe the same Aliexpress connectors you used, soldering the tiny connectors isn't easy! The connector is shorter than the Lunashops connector but still not as streamline as the Etymotic connectors.

Really want to try a Linum Super Bax.

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #13,619 of 19,243

Shanling UP2 + short cable + ER4SR
I'm very curious how you like the sound. I see the UP2 is spec'd at 67mW into 32Ω, versus 25mW for the BTR3 and 80mW for the Hiby W5. To me the ER4-SR sounds underpowered from my BTR3, so I've been pondering getting a W5. But I'd prefer Shanling's control scheme (and the ability to use it as a connected DAC/amp). Do you have thoughts about how these three stack up for the ER4-SR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back