If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 1, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #13,039 of 19,241
...More forgiving for insertion depth, same as mk5.

I like the MK5 quite a lot. ER2SR should be a good upgrade for me.

That peak is actually around 13kHz, which is likely why it isn't as audible.

Good to know.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are different manufacturers of MMCX cables and not all of them are equivalent quality. You're probably using a decent quality socket/plug so you aren't getting complaints. Don't get me wrong, even better connectors can wear out, but some of the aftermarket ones (not all) are destined for a short lifespan.

On a side note, one of these days I should order one of your cables. I feel left out in this thread. :)

Yeah, I came across some bad quality MMCX connector as well. But generally they fall apart during soldering and don't make it far enough to an earphone.

Happy to build you a cable but I imagine you must already have piles of cable lying around :grin:

You guys might like this. On my way back from CES this year, I realized I was tired of carrying around multiple earphone pouches, so I made myself an all-in-one case. Earpieces on the bottom, Cable and Eartips behind the acrylic Etymotic plate on top.

XoEbIlp.jpg

DJizrEoW0AAkg0k.jpg

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #13,041 of 19,241
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #13,042 of 19,241
So, this might come as a bit of a surprise: we're working on some new eartips. It's a bi-flange with softer silicone and is designed to get an easier push-in seal. There are going to be 3 or 4 different sizes.

Ignore the specs of dirt on the tips. That's what I get for taking photos of them outside on the ground.

unmsDai.jpg

We're still doing final tweaks on them, but I will bring prototypes with me to Axpona this year. If anybody is at the show, please stop by and say hi: I'd like to meet some Head-Fi folks. If I'm not at the booth, please have whoever is there text me and I'll stop by.

And no, we're not killing off the 3-flange. Unless we find out that everybody is switching over to this and nobody uses the 3-flange anymore (probably not likely) then the plan is to have both options.
Wow those look really good. I must havet about 10-20 different plugs that works with Ety by now and I want more :D
If you need tester for the new plug; sign me up!
Can I ask how the balanced cable is coming along?

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #13,043 of 19,241
But @EtyDave said the following:

So it seems there's potentially some difference in isolation between the two models?

P.S. Both models have the same pressure release hole. But from what @EtyDave wrote above, it appears the XR has additional venting.
I didn't read his post like you did. what I got from this is how the XR and SR didn't have the same need for care on the hole simply because they don't have the same low end requirements(in term of output). and I see nothing in what he wrote to suggest a hole to the outside. only one to equalize pressure between front and back of the driver itself. the all thing is still sealed into the shell.

no clue if I'm correct but that's how I always imagined all those micro DD to work.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #13,044 of 19,241
Wanted to make a post about the ER4XR, a pair of IEMs that I have owned for 2 years, and still surprise me with their epicness

So I was woken up today by some construction noise, and since I went to bed relatively late, I ended up getting my sleep cut in half. Needless to say, I woke up in a blind groggy fury. In my blind rage, I accidentally plugged my silver cables into the ER4XRs instead of the stock. Best mistake ever.

I had gotten a different pair of IEMs to compensate for the ER4XR's underwhelming bass response, but with the silver cables, the ER4XR sound got much warmer and fuller in the low end. As an Ety BA though, it kept the details and speed.

Time to relisten to my entire library now...

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #13,048 of 19,241
Wow those look really good. I must havet about 10-20 different plugs that works with Ety by now and I want more :D
If you need tester for the new plug; sign me up!
Can I ask how the balanced cable is coming along?

The cable design is done, we're just getting it queued up in production. I was hoping for March, but it's running a bit slow. It'll be soon.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #13,049 of 19,241
@EtyDave - any official comment on the NRR for the ER2XR? Can we expect 35 dB+ reduction, same as ER2SE??

the 35dB is not actually an NRR rating, but I would expect the 2XR to be very similar in attenuation performance to the rest of the line. We have not had that independently verified, but it is a sealed design and it should be comparable. Subjectively, I don't notice much difference. As always, it does depend on the quality of the seal one gets.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #13,050 of 19,241
I didn't read his post like you did. what I got from this is how the XR and SR didn't have the same need for care on the hole simply because they don't have the same low end requirements(in term of output). and I see nothing in what he wrote to suggest a hole to the outside. only one to equalize pressure between front and back of the driver itself. the all thing is still sealed into the shell.

no clue if I'm correct but that's how I always imagined all those micro DD to work.

Yes, there is no hole to the outside world. The 2XR vents to a sealed rear cavity whereas the 2SE has no rear vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back