If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #12,601 of 19,242
I kinda like the Gray triple flange as they give the most detail and they're not as easy to look messy unlike the white triples which tends to discolor at times.

My ER4SR don't come with grey I think? I have transparent blue / white and some white-ish larger tri flange. The other are foam. Could you please share which one it is?

Also for everyone else, with the deep insertion, you are prone to getting ear wax pushed deeper and thus clogging your ear if you use these daily right? How do you guys deal with it?

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #12,602 of 19,242
My ER4SR don't come with grey I think? I have transparent blue / white and some white-ish larger tri flange. The other are foam. Could you please share which one it is?

Also for everyone else, with the deep insertion, you are prone to getting ear wax pushed deeper and thus clogging your ear if you use these daily right? How do you guys deal with it?

Sorry it's the transparent gray, to my eyes they're gray.

Oh that's a good point regarding pushing the ear wax further in. Didn't think about it until you've mentioned it and now I'm worried. I do clean my ears with cotton buds when I plan to use iem to listen to music.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #12,603 of 19,242
I also have not experienced going to an ENT to have my ears cleaned so it's mostly myself who's doing the cleaning.

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #12,604 of 19,242
...Also for everyone else, with the deep insertion, you are prone to getting ear wax pushed deeper and thus clogging your ear if you use these daily right? How do you guys deal with it?

Use common sense and clean your earcanal once in awhile, then you will be fine. You only need to worry about earwax build up if you already have prior condition where your ears produce more than normal amount of ear wax and get clogged easily. In those case however, IEM is generally not recommended anyway.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #12,606 of 19,242
I had an ENT clean my ears out. It turns out that there was a little bit ear wax stuck to the ear drum. The deep inserstion push the earwax against it.

Other thanthat, cleaning them yourself regularly should take care of it.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #12,608 of 19,242
I had an ENT clean my ears out. It turns out that there was a little bit ear wax stuck to the ear drum. The deep inserstion push the earwax against it.

Other thanthat, cleaning them yourself regularly should take care of it.

I've got the fun of that at the end of the month :frowning2: No iems for me until then which is going to be a long 3 weeks :frowning2:

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #12,609 of 19,242
To the people who have custom moulds? Do they change the response / SQ heavily? Debating getting a pair done for more comfort.

Hope to report in about 7 days!

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #12,611 of 19,242
To the people who have custom moulds? Do they change the response / SQ heavily? Debating getting a pair done for more comfort.
I also want to try this option but too bad local ciem maker doesn't have that service here.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #12,612 of 19,242

Some people claim it changes the bass response, but I have had ZERO issues with my ER4PTs and MicroSonic created tips. I'm going with Westone for the Custom Fit tips for my ER3XRs though.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #12,613 of 19,242

Right now mine hurt my ears when jammed in (smallest transparent/grey triple flange) and even with a massive eq boost, hardly deliver any bass. I have bored everyone here with my tales of tiny / bended ear canals and futzing around with all tip types and angles with no joy.

Bottom line: If the custom molds I have on order don't deliver at least SOME bass I WILL be pissed off. I have seen photos of Etys in molds how the tip of the unit stops a long distance from the end and that last distance is achieved by a thin tube drilled from driver tip to the innner ear tip. I feel I need that sound delivery through all the bends to my ear drum for the bass.

The shape of my impressions were so thin and sharp angled I hope the lab technitians can work with them. The audiologist and I both requested that they be made "deep" and not cut short.

On the edge of my seat. Fingers crossed. One week to go.

I know these drivers are great. I love the stunning fast mid / high end.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #12,614 of 19,242
Some people claim it changes the bass response, but I have had ZERO issues with my ER4PTs and MicroSonic created tips. I'm going with Westone for the Custom Fit tips for my ER3XRs though.
the bass response is going to be mostly affected by the quality of the seal. so it's very much possible that the bass will feel different if one of the listening conditions didn't offer a good seal while the other one does. beyond that, there are little chances for anything significant going on in the low end IMO.
the main risk beside not getting a good seal sometimes, is about the distance/volume of air between the driver and the eardrum. that can shift the resonance to another frequency and obviously the bigger the shift the more noticeable it's going to be(good or bad).

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #12,615 of 19,242
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back