If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #12,121 of 19,243
Ordered an ER4XR. Should be in tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've used Ety and triple flanged. I don't remember the comfort being my favorite on the ones I used 7-8 years ago, but I do remember the isolation being exceptional for a universal IEM. Looking forward to revisiting Etymotic.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #12,122 of 19,243
Ordered an ER4XR. Should be in tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've used Ety and triple flanged. I don't remember the comfort being my favorite on the ones I used 7-8 years ago, but I do remember the isolation being exceptional for a universal IEM. Looking forward to revisiting Etymotic.

That's pretty spot-on, the comfort is hit and miss with many ear sizes and such, but the isolation is indeed one of the best there are, I don't think I ever had anything that isolates better, with only iBasso IT-04 coming rather close right now :)

Also, nice avatar image :)

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #12,123 of 19,243
That's pretty spot-on, the comfort is hit and miss with many ear sizes and such, but the isolation is indeed one of the best there are, I don't think I ever had anything that isolates better, with only iBasso IT-04 coming rather close right now :)

Also, nice avatar image :)
I recall reading your review last night. Pretty detailed. I'll keep the IT04 in mind if the ER4XR doesn't work out. Personally I'd like good isolation for the train/bus that I'm on at least 5 days a week. I do recall Etys being better at that than my Shure IEMs. I'd say at least Shure level is ideal. I've tried a few Audio-Technica IEMs (IM04 and one other) in the past that sounded pretty good, but the isolation and fit were a bit lacking. Might go with a 2 IEM setup whether I keep the Shures or not. I've had my SE535 for 6 1/2 years. I think having one like the Ety for max isolation would be good but also having one with a bit less isolation that I can easily pop in and out at home or at the arcade that I sometimes visit.

And thanks!

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #12,124 of 19,243
Hi all, just wanted to chime in on my experience with Ety customer support. I owned the ER4SR since release. Around the end of 2017, the right channel started to show signs of connectivity issues. Audio would frequently cut out when the right driver was moved around. Eventually it got to the point that audio would no longer play from the right driver. I tried swapping cables to no avail.

I contacted Ety support and they told me to mail in my defective pair. They were assessed and was concluded that the drivers were OK and that a cable replacement was required. About a month later, I received them in the mail and guess what? The issue was exactly the same, the right driver still had connectivity issues!

Obviously upset, I emailed them about this and they sent in a new pair no questions asked. Just received them today and am glad to be able to listen to them once more as I am a big fan of that Ety sound.

Having gone through all that, I’m a bit concerned now about the longevity/durability of the new mmcx connectors used in current-gen Etys. They just don’t feel robust like the previous 2-pin used in the older ER4. My old ER4S from 2006 is still fine. It perplexes me why Ety decided to go with mmcx connectors when they are proprietary and we can’t simply plug in any off-the-shelf mmcx cables.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #12,125 of 19,243
It perplexes me why Ety decided to go with mmcx connectors when they are proprietary and we can’t simply plug in any off-the-shelf mmcx cables.

First of, my guess is you have not seen the picture of the cable I made on last page - you definitely can buy aftermarket cable with the correct Ety specific MMCX connector as well as the standalone connector itself to create your own cable, if you can solder.

Secondly, there is a very good reason to go for a non-spinning MMCX connector because this thing is known to fail after prolonged use when it is free spinning. A locking mechanism is actually the best way to prevent an untimely dead. The case of your right driver failing is one of the telltale sign there is a misalignment on the center pin in the MMCX socket (which sometime still work intermediately, thus making Ety to conclude it was your cable at fault), one of the most common problem with MMCX. Obviouly the locking mechanism is supposed to prevent a problem like this, it is however not a complete fool proof method. This is an inherent weakness of every MMCX connector out there.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #12,126 of 19,243
First of, my guess is you have not seen the picture of the cable I made on last page - you definitely can buy aftermarket cable with the correct Ety specific MMCX connector as well as the standalone connector itself to create your own cable, if you can solder.

Secondly, there is a very good reason to go for a non-spinning MMCX connector because this thing is known to fail after prolonged use when it is free spinning. A locking mechanism is actually the best way to prevent an untimely dead. The case of your right driver failing is one of the telltale sign there is a misalignment on the center pin in the MMCX socket (which sometime still work intermediately, thus making Ety to conclude it was your cable at fault), one of the most common problem with MMCX. Obviouly the locking mechanism is supposed to prevent a problem like this, it is however not a complete fool proof method. This is an inherent weakness of every MMCX connector out there.
Thanks for the informative response ClieOS. That makes sense. Tbh I’ve never had a good experience with mmcx connectors. I also had a Westone W40 fail on me in the past because of the mmcx. It seems as though it’s inherently flawed or I’m just unlucky.

Anyways, I will definitely look into getting some custom cables for the ER4SR.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #12,128 of 19,243
That's me fully up to scratch with Ety again, bought a pair of SR tonight to go along with my XR.

Might sound a bit strange but I prefer the level of detail that I get from my Ety's than the full on assault that the Noble K10 give me. Not knocking the K10 but just prefer my Ety's over them - Strange.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #12,129 of 19,243
That's me fully up to scratch with Ety again, bought a pair of SR tonight to go along with my XR.

Might sound a bit strange but I prefer the level of detail that I get from my Ety's than the full on assault that the Noble K10 give me. Not knocking the K10 but just prefer my Ety's over them - Strange.

I also find I much preferred ER4SR over some of my more expensive multiple drivers iems. That's how great the ER4SR really are, they are impressive!
The other single driver iem I like is Final Audio FI-BA-SS.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #12,130 of 19,243
I too prefer the ER4SR over my K10. The ER4SR sounds more natural although I still reach for the K10 when I want something warm and musical sounding, they’re still awesome for vocals. I do feel in terms of timbral accuracy, the ER4SR better.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #12,131 of 19,243
Speaking of which...are you taking orders for er5sr/xr cables? I'd love to get a pair off of you.

Wait, what, ER5? :laughing:

Yeah, I have enough parts on my hand to build a couple of cable for the ER4SR/XR (*either 3.5mm single ended, or 2.5,mm balanced, same kind like that picture I last posted). If you are interested, PM me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #12,133 of 19,243
Will be getting a cable from @ClieOS as well. Looking forward to it.

While I love my new ER4XR I've got the same complaints a lot of people probably have. The stock cable is too microphonic, too long, and the L shaped 3.5mm connector isn't great for dongles. Depending on your usage maybe none of those issues matter. The stock cable is definitely not the most microphonic IEM cable I've used, but it could be better. Would be nice if they at least offered a shorter cable from their online store if not in the box. Around 4 feet would be fine for commuting rather than whatever the stock cable is. The L shaped jack may be preferable for phones and DAPs with regular headphone jacks, but for those of us using some of the newer flagships with dongles I think a straight connector is easily better.

In addition I just like the aesthetics of silver cables.

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #12,134 of 19,243
Hi Guys! I had just received my etymotic ER4XR today!!!

1st impression when i play on it... Unbelievable sound coming from a single drive BA. I am so pleased now. Happy like crap.

really has a great noise isolation as an iem. Better than the ciem i have.

1st thing i dislike now is the Y-splitter, it makes me hard to wrap the cable in circle shape but i think can adjust accordingly.

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #12,135 of 19,243
2nd impression - No jaw issue during eating compare to ciem. and also the seal would not open up. I kinda like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back