If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #11,731 of 19,203
Yeah. Kanas pro is similar to er4xr with kanas w/o
pro has more bass than that. Neither is as bright as leibesleid but imo really good.
Well the sad part is that I don't know how you can buy them. Price is 900 rmb for kanas pro so 145usd. Where did you get the liebesleid from btw?

from a local seller, i think he purchased them from taobao. so if it has less bass from the ER4XR, the kanas pro is more inline with the ER4SR? if you have the links maybe i can find a way to purchase them

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #11,732 of 19,203
from a local seller, i think he purchased them from taobao. so if it has less bass from the ER4XR, the kanas pro is more inline with the ER4SR? if you have the links maybe i can find a way to purchase them
Kanas (original) has more bass than xr
kanas pro edition has similar to xr.(like the graphs indicate)
original should be a little cheaper.
They are both on taobao I just checked.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #11,733 of 19,203
Oh man, got my ER4XR replacements back from Etymotic and they sound amazing.

ER4XR + Dragonfly Red + Jitterbug is a great combo. I'm getting chills listening to Burn the Witch - Radiohead. The instrument separation, pacing and clarity are ridiculous. It has just the right amount of bass too.

I am impressed.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #11,734 of 19,203

ER4XR + Dragonfly Red + Jitterbug is a great combo. I'm getting chills listening to Burn the Witch - Radiohead. The instrument separation, pacing and clarity are ridiculous. It has just the right amount of bass too.

I am impressed.
I have to agree with you now that I've changed tips. I was using the small flanged tips and wasn't getting a good seal. I changed to the large flanged tips and what a difference in sound. +1 on the Dragonfly Red and ER4XR pairing. They make wonderful music together.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #11,735 of 19,203
Get the Jitterbug! It cleans up the sound even more.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #11,736 of 19,203

I am impressed.

Hey! We got the same setup! But minus the jitterbug :ksc75smile:

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #11,737 of 19,203
Get the Jitterbug! It cleans up the sound even more.
I have the iFi Micro iUSB3.0 I could put in the chain and that would serve that same purpose. I’ll give it shot, thanks!

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #11,738 of 19,203
ER4SR/XR requires some amping to sounds nice!

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #11,739 of 19,203
I haved used a few filters off from ones that came with my ER4XR, is there anywhere I can get more of the filters in Singapore?

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #11,740 of 19,203
I haved used a few filters off from ones that came with my ER4XR, is there anywhere I can get more of the filters in Singapore?

Why were you use up the filter so fast? They should have lasted you a few years if you keep the IEM and your ear canal reasonably clean. I haven't needed to replace mine on my 8yrs old ER4S even once (though I must admit I am a bit of OCD when it comes to keeping my gear clean).

Anyway, ER4 series all use the same green filter, and I recalled Stereo used to carry them when they still sold Ety's IEM. But they already dropped the brand all together and I haven't seen them anywhere. I will advise you get them online instead, Taobao is a good place to find Ety accessories if you read Chinese. If not, I think Lazada has it as well.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #11,741 of 19,203
Why were you use up the filter so fast? They should have lasted you a few years if you keep the IEM and your ear canal reasonably clean. I haven't needed to replace mine on my 8yrs old ER4S even once (though I must admit I am a bit of OCD when it comes to keeping my gear clean).

Anyway, ER4 series all use the same green filter, and I recalled Stereo used to carry them when they still sold Ety's IEM. But they already dropped the brand all together and I haven't seen them anywhere. I will advise you get them online instead, Taobao is a good place to find Ety accessories if you read Chinese. If not, I think Lazada has it as well.
Sorry it's due to my noobness.. in inserted it wrongly... and well took it out when i dont need to..

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into it. Still one of my fav in terms of sound..

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #11,742 of 19,203
ER4SR/XR requires some amping to sounds nice!
I positively disagree. well not entirely, you do need an amp section between your DAC and the IEM, any IEM. ^_^
IMO they're just the right amount of sensitive, not enough to make sources too hissy, not so little that you might need more gain than your DAP provides, like it happens sometimes with the er4s. it actually works under a really wide range of sources thanks to an also not too low impedance.
you may like the result more out of some specific amp, subjectivity will always play a part in our preferences, but just going by saying they "require some amping to sound nice" that's just the right amount of vague to means nothing in a statement I still feel the need to contest. do like the other guys, say how you like them into a given source, as a personal opinion. or if you have measurements into many sources showing conclusively how amps are required for good sound, please share them and I'll fold in 2 asking for you to pardon my ignorance.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #11,743 of 19,203
I positively disagree. well not entirely, you do need an amp section between your DAC and the IEM, any IEM. ^_^
IMO they're just the right amount of sensitive, not enough to make sources too hissy, not so little that you might need more gain than your DAP provides, like it happens sometimes with the er4s. it actually works under a really wide range of sources thanks to an also not too low impedance.
you may like the result more out of some specific amp, subjectivity will always play a part in our preferences, but just going by saying they "require some amping to sound nice" that's just the right amount of vague to means nothing in a statement I still feel the need to contest. do like the other guys, say how you like them into a given source, as a personal opinion. or if you have measurements into many sources showing conclusively how amps are required for good sound, please share them and I'll fold in 2 asking for you to pardon my ignorance.
What I meant is its not that easy to drive, on the cell phone it don't sounds good at all.
Even on my AK240, volume need to dial up at least to 85.
ER4SR is definitely not those low impedance easy to drive iem.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #11,744 of 19,203
I get just a little above 110dB at 1khz into 0.4V. subjectively, that's loud! that's also what I get on perhaps the weakest DAP I've ever owned, my sony A15. even the old sansa clip could get a bit louder into such loads. both would actually measure cleaner into the 45ohm of the er4sr than into some ludicrous stuff with 12drivers reaching 125dB with 1mW that you think of as easier to drive. oh those IEMs go loud for sure, impedance low enough to distort some amps, sensi high enough that I perceive background hiss on most of my sources. again good sound is clearly a subjective view. my tablet sounds like crap, but the output goes way louder and has way more power than I'll ever need on the er4sr, more than my A15 that I like just fine with the er4sr. no relation whatsoever with what will give "good sound".

I remember having loudness issues with the er4s, and later with the etykid on my weakest devices, but the SR goes plenty loud on anything I've tried and sounds fine most of the time(on really high impedance sources the treble boost can be a little much for my taste but that's about it).

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #11,745 of 19,203

I find this to be very true. My DUNU-2000 sounded better alone than with my Dragonfly + Jitterbug. My RE-400 sounds better with the Dragonfly but without the Jitterbug. I agree it's very subjective.

For the ER4XR, however, imo:

By Itself = Very nice and neutral sounding with a slightly boosted bass and clear trebles.

With DR = bass and mids boosted a bit more (not to my personal liking)

With DR + Jitterbug = perfect balance of bass, mids and treble. Resolution improved.

Just my subjective opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back