If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 28, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #11,356 of 19,241
Well, your ER4XR will have a bit more low end than @EmPathWalker's ER4B. But even so, I think the comment about the unrealistically lean low end is understandable. IEMs like the KSE1500, Xelentos, FLC8S, etc., can all produce a realistic amount of sub-bass without losing anything up top. Now, if I'm walking, or in a really noisy environment, the Etys still win for me, because I get zero occlusion effects and better isolation with an Ety than anything else. But I'm looking forward to Etymotic making that ER5XR with SE846 levels of sub-bass...
Off the top of your head, would you be able to compare the sound of the FLC8S with the ER4XR?

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #11,357 of 19,241
Just for fun... :)

They're awfully close. I can't see any meaningful difference in THD...

to those who get scared by the crazy looking distortions, the spikes in the low end are most likely noise in the room and/or in the measurement chain, while the climb after 1khz is because he checked "use harmonic frequency as ref".
then depending on the loudness level, both the IEM and the mic used can show their limitations.

my point is, no matter who posts them, don't read too much into TDH graphs. if they're crazy low it's always a good sign for the IEM and for the measurement rig and conditions. but if they're not, it could be for many reasons having nothing to do with the IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #11,358 of 19,241
to those who get scared by the crazy looking distortions, the spikes in the low end are most likely noise in the room and/or in the measurement chain, while the climb after 1khz is because he checked "use harmonic frequency as ref".
then depending on the loudness level, both the IEM and the mic used can show their limitations.

my point is, no matter who posts them, don't read too much into TDH graphs. if they're crazy low it's is always a good sign for the IEM and for the measurement rig and conditions. but if they're not, it could be for many reasons having nothing to do with the IEM.
Steps should be better.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #11,359 of 19,241

my point is, no matter who posts them, don't read too much into TDH graphs. if they're crazy low it's always a good sign for the IEM and for the measurement rig and conditions. but if they're not, it could be for many reasons having nothing to do with the IEM.
Also, the measurements used an X7 in USB DAC mode as output, which lacks a bit of shielding. The purpose was just to compare the two IEMs. FR looked similar (with the added resistor on the ER3XR), and I don't.expect there's.much difference in phase response from one single BA to another. I was just curious how the two would compare for THD.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #11,360 of 19,241
sure, no issue with your motives. I just explained before somebody decides to use this to "enlighten" the world about how bad etymotic IEMs are and how it correlates with their impressions . ^_^

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #11,362 of 19,241
Received the ER4X4's today. I think they are easily amongst the best IEM's out there at any price if you are lucky and able to use them without discomfort.
I use the large Etymotic black foams for extended periods without discomfort and with the best isolation I have ever experienced; even more than customs.
1. The treble is wonderful and without sibilance.
2. Bass is powerful and deep. (lack of bass = poor seal).
3. Mids are crystal clear.
Overall very satisfied. Wish I would have discovered them sooner.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #11,363 of 19,241
Received the ER4X4's today. I think they are easily amongst the best IEM's out there at any price if you are lucky and able to use them without discomfort.
I use the large Etymotic black foams for extended periods without discomfort and with the best isolation I have ever experienced; even more than customs.
What's the black foam?

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #11,364 of 19,241
Tbh, the foam tips have really bad highs , sharper and way less extended than triple flange. Mids are less natural than triple flange. Bass are about the same. I am an extended er4 user for long time. cheers.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #11,365 of 19,241
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that deep insertion is why Etys are not top of the list for sound stage.

I recently tried an experiment with the HAVI B3 Pros that are well known for a magical sound stage presentation.

I put triple flang silicons on them and rammed the things right tight in up to my ear drums like etys, using the silicon triples for the most of the distance because the B3s are otherwise VERY shallow fitting.

I immediately noticed that, apart form the harshness, the sound stage was killed.

I now think that "special soundstage" is something that comes from IEM shallowness, using the flesh ear canal as the factor that gives soundstage it's majic.

The etys are way better than the B3s for acurate detail but the soundstage is something else with B3s.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #11,366 of 19,241
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that deep insertion is why Etys are not top of the list for sound stage.

I recently tried an experiment with the HAVI B3 Pros that are well known for a magical sound stage presentation.

I put triple flang silicons on them and rammed the things right tight in up to my ear drums like etys, using the silicon triples for the most of the distance because the B3s are otherwise VERY shallow fitting.

I immediately noticed that, apart form the harshness, the sound stage was killed.

I now think that "special soundstage" is something that comes from IEM shallowness, using the flesh ear canal as the factor that gives soundstage it's majic.

The etys are way better than the B3s for acurate detail but the soundstage is something else with B3s.
Deep insertion is actually why er4 has vast soundstage rather than just bigger than your head soundstage other headphones/iems have. If you are using the small triple flange, try the larger one.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #11,367 of 19,241

Also triple flange is like one of the biggest thing in terms of tuning. You can't just give a random earphone triple flange and expect them to sound like etymotic. It's only one part of the equation. Brother.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #11,368 of 19,241

Interesting, I always found the treble to be on the smoother side :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back