If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #11,131 of 19,198
my advise to anyone who can not use the triflanges as they come is to remove the largest flange and see if they fit this way. after all, if they dont fit there is nothing lost if the mod doenst work neither.

for me, the large triflanges modded to biflanges work extremely well. like, i can eat with them without losing seal - with other iem i will lose seal even with foam tips if i eat something.
whats realy impressive to me is that i get this seal without disturbing heart beat noise, something i get very quckly with slightly to large foam tips. bodysound from walking is somewhat louder then with foam tips tho.

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #11,135 of 19,198
to much upper treble when i made them biflange

You can do it like me and mod the triple-flange tips to bi-flanges without really changing the canal length (I had to do it in order to get a seal in my large ear canals).

Not sure whether or not I talked about this in my German ER-4S review or my English ER-4SR review, but I think I did in both.

DSC00982.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #11,136 of 19,198
hehe chris, i guess i found out why you put that small flange behind the large one.
my modded biflanges suddenly lost any and all seal when i put them in today after a day of usage. took me some time to find out why, but apparently the larger flange had folded in on itself so it lost seal.
i could copy your approach tho, and restore seal by using small rings i cut from old silicones that came from whoknowswhat phones and that didnt fit me anyhow.
comfort suffered slightly as the pressure now is higher. bummer, but still good enough to forget im wearing them and still no heart beat so thats cool.

aaanyway. getting to tinkery for my taste now. guess i have to buy them westone silicones after all.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #11,137 of 19,198
zHdy3
UKbMyGFh.jpg

Placing my ER4S from 1999 into action again. (albeit with a balanced copper cable)

Still sounds awesome!

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #11,139 of 19,198
I find FiiO's DAP generally go quite well with ER4, especially the X5-III

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #11,144 of 19,198
Just a heads-up - the 4th run of ER4 cable build still has one last slot before it is officially over in a few days. Detail in my sig. below.

[update] all slots filled.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #11,145 of 19,198
hm, that happend to me when i used modded small triflanges. maybe bad seal? do you get a strong vaccum feeling when you pulled them out?

For what it's worth, I advocate the "retractable pen test" for checking if you have a good seal:
  • Insert earphones.
  • Click a retractable pen near each ear.
  • If it sounds like a crisp "Click" you don't have a seal.
  • If it sounds like a dull "Clunk" you have a seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back