If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 2, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #10,906 of 19,241
Anyone know what's required to make an ER4B cable? I searched high and low, I know it's also 100ohm impedance just like the ER4S, but couldn't find anything else.

Thanks.

It is in the patent document. Just use Google patent search to find Etymotic's patents and you will eventually come across the ER4 patent. The diagram inside has all the detail.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #10,907 of 19,241
Thanks ClieOS

Patent #5,887,070

Section 5 describes figure 5:

audio source > ------(Parallel Junction 1)--(resistor 1)-----(capacitor a)--(Parallel Junction 2)------- > to headphones (larger pole)

(To Parallel Junction 1)-------------(resistor 2)-------------(To Parallel Junction 2)

where:
Resistor 1 and 2 = 100ohm
Capacitor a = 0.22microfarads

assuming this is for the ER4-B although it does not say explicitly...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #10,908 of 19,241
Thanks ClieOs

Patent #5,887,070

Section 5 describes figure 5:

audio source > ------(Parallel Junction 1)--(resistor 1)-----(capacitor a)--(Parallel Junction 2)------- > to headphones (larger pole)

(To Parallel Junction 1)-------------(resistor 2)-------------(To Parallel Junction 2)

where:
Resistor 1 and 2 = 100ohm
Capacitor a = 0.22microfarads

assuming this is for the ER4-B although it does not say explicitly...

Interesting - thanks for posting! Anybody know what the physical effect of that capacitor is?

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #10,912 of 19,241
Interesting - thanks for posting! Anybody know what the physical effect of that capacitor is?
just look at the FR of the er4B against the er4S, adding the resistor has the er4 to er4s effect we know, when aligned in amplitude it seems to be boosting the trebles thanks to the the impedance curve of the the ety interacting with the resistor. but tuning the FR that way is less and less effective, and soon you have to get into thousands of ohm just to get a tiny bit more trebles. the IEM becomes a nightmare to drive at a comfortable loudness before we can hope to get the tuning we want. so with the cap they make a high pass filter and it allows to further tilt the FR.

and @zpro yes this design with the cap is the er4b design.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #10,914 of 19,241
sorry I don't know that. I'm ok when it comes to pretend like I know stuff in theory, but because my soldering skills can only be described as arson, I have close to no practical experience. :frowning2:
one has a fancy "audio" written in the page in front of application, that's about as far as my mad Sherlock skill can try to go.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #10,916 of 19,241
I am wondering why you wouldn't just buy the stock cables, if you need cables? Seem like the safest and simplest option...
George, Ety do not sell replacement cables for the original models. You have to return them for a full service, which means the postage and potential customs fees make it a non-option if you live outside the US.
Also I believe he is wanting an additional cable, so as to get all 3 original flavours of Ety4 - B,P and S.
I settled on the S version when I recabled mine using Linum and 'S' adapters.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #10,917 of 19,241
If you can put up with a slightly larger package there's a better option:
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/rubycon/250MPH224J/1189-1804-ND/3720026
metallized PP with a much lower ESR and tan delta than the electrolytics, but it's about twice the size.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10,919 of 19,241
just look at the FR of the er4B against the er4S, adding the resistor has the er4 to er4s effect we know, when aligned in amplitude it seems to be boosting the trebles thanks to the the impedance curve of the the ety interacting with the resistor. but tuning the FR that way is less and less effective, and soon you have to get into thousands of ohm just to get a tiny bit more trebles. the IEM becomes a nightmare to drive at a comfortable loudness before we can hope to get the tuning we want. so with the cap they make a high pass filter and it allows to further tilt the FR.

Thanks castle! BTW, do you have any links to ER4B frequency-response graphs? Innerfidelity don't seem to have measured this one.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #10,920 of 19,241
George, Ety do not sell replacement cables for the original models. You have to return them for a full service, which means the postage and potential customs fees make it a non-option if you live outside the US.
Also I believe he is wanting an additional cable, so as to get all 3 original flavours of Ety4 - B,P and S.
I settled on the S version when I recabled mine using Linum and 'S' adapters.

Thank you for the explanation! I am still learning about Ety IEMs :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back