If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 17, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #10,891 of 19,205
Hello. Are the er4 sealed? I mean is the any vent? If you try to blow into the sound tube, does the air pass? In Shure se 535 it does. So you can easily put the triple flanges deep into your ears. I made diy er4-b sealed and can not insert them deep enough because of air pressure on the eardrum.

Yes, they're sealed (and so should be the Shure, however yours might have a tiny leak around the MMCX sockets). The key to proper and harmless insertion is doing it slowly. Pulling your ear with one hand while you use the other to insert the earpiece is another. And finally, you could just barely moisten the tips with water to reduce friction.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #10,892 of 19,205
Hello. Are the er4 sealed? I mean is the any vent? If you try to blow into the sound tube, does the air pass? In Shure se 535 it does. So you can easily put the triple flanges deep into your ears. I've made diy er4-b sealed and can not insert them deep enough because of air pressure on the eardrum.

Yep.

Yes, they're sealed (and so should be the Shure, however yours might have a tiny leak around the MMCX sockets). The key to proper and harmless insertion is doing it slowly. Pulling your ear with one hand while you use the other to insert the earpiece is another. And finally, you could just barely moisten the tips with water to reduce friction.

My trick is to pull my ear, so they enter freely, then when I release my ear, it creates isolation, and there doesn't seem to be any harm. I was a bit reluctant about the design at first, but after using ER4XR for a while, I think that the design works fairly well. Deep insertion relies on one having a certain biology that allows for it.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #10,894 of 19,205
Just a quick question, what is the status of the etymotic balanced cables for the ER4XR/SR? Anyone know?

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #10,896 of 19,205
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #10,898 of 19,205
I don't know if there are any official ones out there, but you can surely find after market cables that are blanced for ER4-XR.

..it was actually a bit of a leading question. I have a @ClieOS balanced cable, so I'm good for now. However, at one point Etymotic were looking at putting out an official balanced cable.It's gone kind of went quiet on that front and I was simply wondering if the idea had been quietly dropped or was still a possibility.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #10,899 of 19,205

lmaoooooooo. ^

Missing reviews huh .... must investigate :p

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #10,901 of 19,205
..it was actually a bit of a leading question. I have a @ClieOS balanced cable, so I'm good for now. However, at one point Etymotic were looking at putting out an official balanced cable.It's gone kind of went quiet on that front and I was simply wondering if the idea had been quietly dropped or was still a possibility.

It's still going to happen, we're just a bit behind schedule, unfortunately.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #10,902 of 19,205
It's still going to happen, we're just a bit behind schedule, unfortunately.

Aha - exactly who the question was really aimed at - thanks.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #10,903 of 19,205
Proud owner of an ER4B, thanks to this beautiful cable made by @ClieOS. Absolutely stellar build. I practically ripped the stock cable off a spare 4P and put these on.

A/Bing them with my ER4S, the 4B cable almost makes the 4S sound like a 4P in comparison if you know what I mean

They do need a good tight seal, more so than any other Ety, to keep the precious little bass that is left.

But that brightness and detail... is almost like crack.

So thank you again @ClieOS for offering your time and skills to the community.

He's doing another build in October so if anyone else is in the market for a 4B (or any of his other cables), now's the time to hop on.

IMG_5066.JPG

I've been on the road quite a bit this month, travelling with my ER4XR but I'm ready to put that one away for a bit now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back