If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #10,877 of 19,241
How correct is it to make a pair of inline high pass filters, one for each channel, derived from these designs http://www.instructables.com/id/Passive-Filter-Circuits/
All the resistors and capacitors would be adjustable to control frequency cutoff and attenuation amount
This way I can push the bass back to the perceptible middle using electronic means (no physical changes to the driver) and in analogue (no ADC loss of resolution etc) ...

It could be a way to compensate for the lack of low frequency matching or maybe even physiological differences between the ears of a person, but I have no idea if it would negatively affect the sound quality overall

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #10,879 of 19,241
Does someone know if there's an alternative version of this adapter? http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/effect-of-ear-sleeves-monster-ear-tip.html

I can't find this monster ear tip accesory available anymore.

If the goal is just to use larger bored eartips, there are easier way to do it. Just get some heatshrink and put 2~3 layer over the nozzle should give you enough thickness. You can also get some Shure olive or Comply foam tip, rip out the foam and use the core as spacer. Actually, the stock foam tip that comes with ER4 will probably get the job done as well.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #10,880 of 19,241
If the goal is just to use larger bored eartips, there are easier way to do it. Just get some heatshrink and put 2~3 layer over the nozzle should give you enough thickness. You can also get some Shure olive or Comply foam tip, rip out the foam and use the core as spacer. Actually, the stock foam tip that comes with ER4 will probably get the job done as well.

Thank you, @ClieOS! I've managed to find a pair and it worked really well. Most of my tips can fit now without problems.

pXhgzgh.jpg

My major problem was after some weeks using the grey tips the tip's material expands losing the tightness, but not it seems solved for now!

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #10,881 of 19,241
Thank you, @ClieOS
My major problem was after some weeks using the grey tips the tip's material expands losing the tightness, but not it seems solved for now!

it usually takes a year or two for silicone eartips to degrede to a point of being too loose to use. If your eartips are still fairly new, another probable cause might be some skin oil getting in between the nozzle and eartip. Just roll some tissue into small diameter to clean up the bore (and the nozzle surface of course) and they will be fine to use again. The cleaning should be part of your regular IEM maintenance.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #10,882 of 19,241
it usually takes a year or two for silicone eartips to degrede to a point of being too loose to use. If your eartips are still fairly new, another probable cause might be some skin oil getting in between the nozzle and eartip. Just roll some tissue into small diameter to clean up the bore (and the nozzle surface of course) and they will be fine to use again. The cleaning should be part of your regular IEM maintenance.

Perfect. I've never had similar problems with other IEMs and I keep the cleaning sessions rather often but never thought about the trick inside the bore and maybe this is indeed the cause of this repetitive problem. However, in the end, I really liked this mod and the possibilities!

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #10,884 of 19,241
Freebie give away time !!!
I've been making various cables for my XR'S to test out on various aspects and at the moment are using pure silver on the 3rd party mmcx connectors with the locking nub for my WM1A and so far it's looking like a keeper. So I've got this cable to start with and maybe a few later on, but for now this one has the right angled mmcx connectors with a oyaide cable and a 4.4mm balanced jack, the cables free just PayPal gift me the postage or I'll change the termination to whatever you want but obviously you'll have to supply or pay for the plug. First come first served and post here so everyone knows it's gone. 15049212643361385922757.jpg

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #10,889 of 19,241
Mmcx to mmcx ?

Yes, mainly as a way to use MMCX cable that has bend MMCX connector and memory wire (= for over-the-ear wearing style) yet will not fit the recessed ER4SR/XR MMCX socket. For example, AAW Capri.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #10,890 of 19,241
Hello. Are the er4 sealed? I mean is the any vent? If you try to blow into the sound tube, does the air pass? In Shure se 535 it does. So you can easily put the triple flanges deep into your ears. I've made diy er4-b sealed and can not insert them deep enough because of air pressure on the eardrum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back