If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #10,426 of 19,243
Disclaimer: I have no ties to any audio companies in Singapore, but I came across a good deal which I thought I should share with all potential buyers here.

If you're coming to Singapore for Canjam and interested in getting an Etymotic ER4SR or ER4XR, you should consider getting it from Jaben. Right now, they have a bundle promotion for a ER4XR or SR with a pair of custom eartips from Snugs at only SGD518, roughly equivalent to $365. The MSRP is normally SGD500, so paying an extra SGD18 for a custom eartip with free ear impression is a pretty good deal to me.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #10,427 of 19,243
  Disclaimer: I have no ties to any audio companies in Singapore, but I came across a good deal which I thought I should share with all potential buyers here.

If you're coming to Singapore for Canjam and interested in getting an Etymotic ER4SR or ER4XR, you should consider getting it from Jaben. Right now, they have a bundle promotion for a ER4XR or SR with a pair of custom eartips from Snugs at only SGD518, roughly equivalent to $365. The MSRP is normally SGD500, so paying an extra SGD18 for a custom eartip with free ear impression is a pretty good deal to me.

Got my Snug for the old ER4, but thanks for the same shape it fits ER4SR perfectly... and the ZO FS+ is where it really turns the SR into XR.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #10,428 of 19,243

Got my Snug for the old ER4, but thanks for the same shape it fits ER4SR perfectly... and the ZO FS+ is where it really turns the SR into XR.

Would you recommend the Snug tips?

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #10,429 of 19,243
Quote:Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The snugs look to be exactly the same design as older custom tips, in that they do not allow deep insertion to the same level as, say triple flanges.
This would have an adverse effect on the quality of sound with the old model ER4. How is it with the ER4SR?

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #10,430 of 19,243

Would you recommend the Snug tips?

Yes, of course.

The snugs look to be exactly the same design as older custom tips, in that they do not allow deep insertion to the same level as, say triple flanges.
This would have an adverse effect on the quality of sound with the old model ER4. How is it with the ER4SR?

Compared to my old ER4 with its well wore-in stock grey tri-flanges, the difference are three folds: (1) bass texture is enhanced a little while the quantity remains mostly the same, (2) treble gets slightly brighter and (3) soundstage opens up more. The (1) and (2) become lesser on ER4SR with Snug when compared to the new transparent tri-flanges, where (3) is even more obvious. I'll venture a guess to say that it might have something to do with the slight difference on material between the old vs. new tri-flanges and how wore-in they are (where the ER4SR's eartips are not nearly as wore-in as my old ER4's eartips).

In any case, If the goal is to retain the exact same sound as tri-flanges, then I don't think Snug will do that - then again, changing to any other eartip, custom or not, will probably have some effect anyway.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #10,431 of 19,243
I don't believe a change in ear tip will make a large change in sound, especially if you're not doing critical listening. I'll be more than happy with a more comfy custom ear tip than with the tri flange. 

Will have to jump on this deal sooner rather than later.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #10,432 of 19,243
  I don't believe a change in ear tip will make a large change in sound, especially if you're not doing critical listening. I'll be more than happy with a more comfy custom ear tip than with the tri flange. 

Will have to jump on this deal sooner rather than later.

of course tips can significantly change the sound. less than optimal seal will massively attenuate the low end. then the shape/length/canal size can alter the signature(usually more in the high frequency area). but of course that doesn't change how comfort shouldn't be sacrificed for some FR ideals. the subjectively best sound that hurts after 20mn isn't really the best sound IMO ^_^. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #10,433 of 19,243

of course tips can significantly change the sound. less than optimal seal will massively attenuate the low end. then the shape/length/canal size can alter the signature(usually more in the high frequency area). but of course that doesn't change how comfort shouldn't be sacrificed for some FR ideals. the subjectively best sound that hurts after 20mn isn't really the best sound IMO ^_^. 

Lack of seal does indeed make a big difference in low end performance, but the eartips are also an integral part of the acoustic design.  Changing the sound channel post acoustic termination (filter) can impact the sound significantly (which one may or may not prefer).

You make a solid point about comfort being a (and often the) primary motivation in picking an eartip.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #10,434 of 19,243
It might have been answered already, but could we please have some opinions on the sonic differences between ER4PT/S (with converter cable), vs. the ER4SR/XR? I have a perfectly functioning ER4PT which I enjoy very much, and am currently pondering whether its worth shelling out some 330GBP for one of the new models. Many thanks!

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #10,435 of 19,243
Little bottles 
etysmile.gif
  My German review: http://headflux.de/etymotic-er4sr-er4xr/

ER4.jpg

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #10,436 of 19,243
Feb 23, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #10,437 of 19,243

Great review Niklas, I really enjoyed that.

One thing you didn't mention though... Which do you prefer? SR or XR?  

Thank you very much 
beerchug.gif
 Did you use a translator or do you speak German?

Honestly, I don't really know which one I prefer. It kind of depends on the music. With some very good to reference recordings, like e.g. those binaurals from Chesky records, the SR really shines. With some more conventional recordings I found the XR to have the edge. Overall the XR might be more versatile.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #10,438 of 19,243
  Thank you very much 
beerchug.gif
 Did you use a translator or do you speak German?

Honestly, I don't really know which one I prefer. It kind of depends on the music. With some very good to reference recordings, like e.g. those binaurals from Chesky records, the SR really shines. With some more conventional recordings I found the XR to have the edge. Overall the XR might be more versatile.

I speak a very small amount of german, but not enough to read a review so Google translate came to the rescue  
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #10,439 of 19,243
Listening to the XR through small spinfits. I think I'm going to keep them on for good.

All the other non-flange silicone tips tend to roll up on me when pulling them out, with that deep insertion. Foam tips were super comfortable, but the silicone channel of the tip preserves the top end whole the foam absorbs it somewhat.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #10,440 of 19,243
I cant for the life for me get a good fit with any of the tips, shures neither. For me the design is a pain. I cant relax with it. Plus i want to enjoy my music not dissect it for every single sound. Im giving up on etymotic iems for now. Nothing wrong with the er4sr its just not for me. On to earsonics! If anyones interested my er4sr it is now for sale on the classifieds. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back