If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #9,211 of 19,243
So I am a bit confused by the Etymotic website. The newest ER4-PT says it comes with the resistor adapter to turn them into 100ohm matching the ER4S. I have an almost 10 year old pair of ER4S and decided to buy a new pair as mine are showing their age. 

My confusion is the Etymotic site says all new ER4PT come with the adapter while the contents listed for their amazon sale of the ER4PT does not have the adapter listed. I want to maintain the 100ohm so I am not sure if I will have to spend more and an adapter.

I would check with the seller. I bought mine a bit before they started including the adapter and had to buy it separately. When they first started "including" the adapter, you had to send a copy of the receipt and ety would send it to you. But they may now be putting them in the box. I would just confirm first.

Thanks again - :bigsmile_face:

Yes, my geographical location means I have to buy almost all of my Audio Equipment blind (or deaf).....I have to read a lot of reviews and ask a lot of questions.....so thanks for that.

Would you use the word "bright" to help describe / define the ER4SR at all??

I know others in the past have used it to describe the Ety sound on the ER4-PT

I'm not who you were asking. And can only comment on the er4p with and without the p to s adapter. It's kind of hard to say they're bright. The focus is on the mids and highs. But they're smooth and never piercing or anything. Just unforgiving maybe. From what if gathered the new ones may be even a bit smoother yet more detailed. Makes me really want to try a set.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9,212 of 19,243
I would check with the seller. I bought mine a bit before they started including the adapter and had to buy it separately. When they first started "including" the adapter, you had to send a copy of the receipt and ety would send it to you. But they may now be putting them in the box. I would just confirm first.
I'm not who you were asking. And can only comment on the er4p with and without the p to s adapter. It's kind of hard to say they're bright. The focus is on the mids and highs. But they're smooth and never piercing or anything. Just unforgiving maybe. From what if gathered the new ones may be even a bit smoother yet more detailed. Makes me really want to try a set.

No Problem - I appreciate any and all positive / helpful feedback!

"smoother, yet more detailed"  is very appealing......I want to try a set also
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9,213 of 19,243

I've been wondering the same thing.  When comparing the frequency response graphs of the ER4SR/XR to Shure IEMs, the Etymotics have a peak between 1k-8k whereas Shure IEMs have a dip in this region.  I'm curious what the difference in sound is like.

I know that Etymotics more closely follow the ideal curve, but when my ears are so used other IEMs, I wonder if the Etys will sound unbalanced (at least until my ears become accustomed).

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #9,214 of 19,243
I have a hard time defining the sound I like....sorry.

What I do know is that my ears do not like "Bright" or "Tinny" sounding at all.

Right now I am using the UERM's and I know that it will be very difficult to find something similar in a Universal and much cheaper :)

UERM's can be described as "Reference Pure Neutrality"......I really like mine, but don't want to travel with them!
The Ety ER4PT has been described as "
an analytical, bright, and extremely clear sound."

So......I'm wondering if the new SR model will soften that up and produce a somewhat Warmer / Smoother sound, but retain the Analytical and Clarity aspects.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #9,215 of 19,243
  I have a hard time defining the sound I like....sorry.

What I do know is that my ears do not like "Bright" or "Tinny" sounding at all.

Right now I am using the UERM's and I know that it will be very difficult to find something similar in a Universal and much cheaper :)

UERM's can be described as "Reference Pure Neutrality"......I really like mine, but don't want to travel with them!
The Ety ER4PT has been described as "
an analytical, bright, and extremely clear sound."

So......I'm wondering if the new SR model will soften that up and produce a somewhat Warmer / Smoother sound, but retain the Analytical and Clarity aspects.

short answer: no.
the sound is closer to the er4s than to pretty much any other IEM. if you want warmer try the XR.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #9,216 of 19,243
  So I am a bit confused by the Etymotic website. The newest ER4-PT says it comes with the resistor adapter to turn them into 100ohm matching the ER4S. I have an almost 10 year old pair of ER4S and decided to buy a new pair as mine are showing their age. 

My confusion is the Etymotic site says all new ER4PT come with the adapter while the contents listed for their amazon sale of the ER4PT does not have the adapter listed. I want to maintain the 100ohm so I am not sure if I will have to spend more and an adapter.

My ER4PT from Amazon also came without the "S" adapter.  
Later, I noticed that the Ety website showed that it was included with the ER4PT. I called their customer service to ask about the discrepancy and they send me the adapter at no charge.  Great service from Etymotic.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #9,217 of 19,243

Later, I noticed that the Ety website showed that it was included with the ER4PT. I called their customer service to ask about the discrepancy and they send me the adapter at no charge.  Great service from Etymotic.

How long ago did you buy it? I emailed Ety and their customer service rep got back to me stating that they added the P -> S cord to their boxes starting in May of 2014 and that all inventory currently for sale on Amazon by their distributors have them inside the box even though it is not denoted on Amazon.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,218 of 19,243

AFAIK, *every* PT that shipped had (or should have had) the P-S converter in it.  That was one of the main changes of the PT version.  Anybody who gets a PT without a cable should contact customer service and let us know.  You can also send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #9,219 of 19,243
AFAIK, *every* PT that shipped had (or should have had) the P-S converter in it.  That was one of the main changes of the PT version.  Anybody who gets a PT without a cable should contact customer service and let us know.  You can also send me a PM and I'll try to help.

You are definitely closer to the source than me. But I know my PT's didn't come with the adapter. And sometime afterwards, they announced they would start including it. I don't remember the cutoff, but I had bought mine before then, so I had to purchase it separately. Not a big deal. I just know there was a time in there it wasn't included. How long it was I don't know. But if anyone is going to buy something at just the "wrong" time to get a freebie. It's me. Haha.

And I'm not trying to say anything bad either. I also have contacted their CS about finding the right tips and was sent some other sizes to try. They really are good people.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #9,220 of 19,243
You are definitely closer to the source than me. But I know my PT's didn't come with the adapter. And sometime afterwards, they announced they would start including it. I don't remember the cutoff, but I had bought mine before then, so I had to purchase it separately. Not a big deal. I just know there was a time in there it wasn't included. How long it was I don't know. But if anyone is going to buy something at just the "wrong" time to get a freebie. It's me. Haha.

And I'm not trying to say anything bad either. I also have contacted their CS about finding the right tips and was sent some other sizes to try. They really are good people.

Hmm, that's odd.  Whether it was a mistake or some odd transitional product, I'm sorry you had to buy one.  If anything like that happens in the future, please contact us first.  At the very least, you'll get a confirmation that you received everything you should have.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #9,221 of 19,243
using my extraordinary memory(just looked up my amazon purchases to find the date), I bought a PT on october 4th 2012 and it didn't have a S adapter, as far as I knew the only difference with a P was the measurement graph.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #9,222 of 19,243
Hmm, that's odd.  Whether it was a mistake or some odd transitional product, I'm sorry you had to buy one.  If anything like that happens in the future, please contact us first.  At the very least, you'll get a confirmation that you received everything you should have.

I appreciate it. I know I contacted them, but it was well before I knew about this place. And they were pleasant and explained the situation. And I've had other good experiences with the customer service. So no worries.

Edit I found the email. I was slightly wrong with my rememberance. I ordered the er4pt's on January 18, 2012. I was told the free adapter offer had ended January 15, and was only for those who purchased directly from etymotic. Anyway it's water under the bridge. And here I am almost 5 years later still using them all the time. Can't complain about that. :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #9,223 of 19,243

I bought blind, based on gnarlsagan liking it, and i trust his opinion on all things er4. And simply a new er4 was intriguing to me. Any improvement seemed like an incredible feat. So i had to try them. I've had them since they came out. I had to be one of the first people to order them, and they arrived two days or so later.

I currently use the ety grey foam, as i get them very deep and they seal the best. I switch to other tips sometimes and last time i was actually trying comply foam again to see if i could identify and differences again...

Thanks again - 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, my geographical location means I have to buy almost all of my Audio Equipment blind (or deaf).....I have to read a lot of reviews and ask a lot of questions.....so thanks for that.

I know others in the past have used it to describe the Ety sound on the ER4-PT

This is difficult to say. If I had to generalize the sound I would say it is neutral, but due to the bass presentation most people would say it leans towards being bright.

But there are so many factors to consider. Assuming you get a perfect depth and seal, I would say the treble is phenomenally smooth and flat compared to most earphones. So, while the overal sound might be on the bright side of things, it isn't harsh or piercing brightness.

Most headphones have a lot more bass added and also uneven treble peaks and dips. So while the er4s might have less bass weight, and thus seem "lighter" or "thinner", it doesn't sound "peaky".

Take for instance a small bookshelf speaker. You can have an excellent infinity speaker with only one mid driver and one tweeter. The sound can be incredibly impressive and revealing and relaxing, even though there is no bass below say 100hz being put out of the speaker. Take a similar sized speaker from a generic brand that has a horrible response, and it might be harsh to the ears because of peaks in the treble making things sibilant and cutting in tone.

Both of these are not producing any real bass weight, but one sounds great and the other awful. Now there are some people that would call the sound of both "thin" or say it lacks all bass and sounds terrible. They might even call it things like bright. I would personally rather have that small infinity bookshelf speaker with an excellent response than the generic speaker with a subwoofer hooked up to add bass. Not everyone would agree. And the er4s does not lack all bass, it's just that the bass below around 50-60hz isn't "as" loud as the other frequencies, so it can sound less "meaty" and more "tight" or "fast" as some people call it.

So I guess it depend on the user and their views on the overall sound. I would say they are neutral with a sense of less "weighty" bass. I would even go as far as to say the er4sr isn't as bright overall as the er4s, but that is my opinion of the "overall" tone and sound.

The er4s has more 2-3khz frequencies and perhaps a little less upper treble somewhere above say 8khz. But the entire "1khz-10khz' range on the er4s takes on a sort of silky smooth "brightness". The er4sr on the other hand has less 2-3khz which is the presence range of a lot of instruments, so it sounds more relaxed in comparison. Nothing drastic, but the sound from 1khz-10khz is almost more laid back and thus less "bright" in a way. However, the er4sr has a bit more upper treble to my ears which gives it a sort of crispness the er4s lacks. Whether this is more accurate or not is hard for me to say, but I prefer it. It is not more harsh or sibilant to my ears, just revealing and "crisp" in the airy sense. So it is a weird combination of being more dark but airy at the same time.

Anyway, if you are ultra concerned about thinking it might be too "bright", the er4xr is practically identical in sound, but has more bass "body" to it a bit, so it can make the whole entire earphone sound a touch more relaxed even still, without really sacrificing much in overall resolution of details or anything.

Not sure if that helps, but if you stuck the er4 of any form in a random person's ears after being used to most earphones I'm sure they'd all call them "bright". But it is part adjusting to a neutral earphone, part a good fit and seal, and part recognizing that the response is smoother and less offensive despite having less bass boost...

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #9,224 of 19,243
  using my extraordinary memory(just looked up my amazon purchases to find the date), I bought a PT on october 4th 2012 and it didn't have a S adapter, as far as I knew the only difference with a P was the measurement graph.

Hmm, I think I might be wrong then.  I didn't think the PT designation happened until the P-S converter was put in the box, but it must have started with the measurement graph.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #9,225 of 19,243
I lost my ER4S recently on a trip and will be looking to replace them with a new Ety.

Looking at the new ER4SR it seem they are a dark grey finish?  Are there any plans to offer other colors such as black or silver?

If not, I would probably get the ER4PT since I prefer the subdue look of the matte black.

Cheers!

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back