If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 21, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #8,791 of 19,243

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.  I've listened to many speakers over the years, but there are so many variables between systems (room acoustics, placement, associated equipment) that it's difficult to make a precise recommendation unless I've heard them under the same controlled conditions.  I also don't spend as much time with hi-end audio systems as I used to, so there are probably newer offerings that I'm not as familiar with.

I guess I will stick with my ruler flat Mackies. Do you know when the etymotic UK will stock the xr and sr? 
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,792 of 19,243
  I guess I will stick with my ruler flat Mackies. Do you know when the etymotic UK will stock the xr and sr? 
frown.gif

I just checked Thomann's website and it appears they are expecting stock in a few days.  I'm assuming they sold through their first batch and this is a restock, but I'm not certain of that.

I'll find out tomorrow about places in the UK.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,794 of 19,243
Has anybody here or especially anybody at Etymotic, ever tested whether the ER4 family of headphones would have measurable or audible performance differences when used with balanced cabling and amplifiers?  I know there is another head-fi thread devoted to the balanced vs. single-ended question in general, and I don't mean to start a holy war here.  I hope this can stay focused on Etymotic headphones specifically, and whether folks at Etymotic have data or a position on this.

Thanks,
Dave

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,795 of 19,243
Just for fun, I decided to play around with color marking for the channels.  I call this the "advanced sharpie process" (it's not advanced).  Takes about 30 seconds and can be carefully removed with isopropanol.  I probably need to find a lighter blue for the left channel.

That's pretty sexy. You just used a sharpie? Will that void our warranty? :wink:

And similarly, do you think one could put a dab of super glue on one side? Will that come off later by simply picking it off or using isopropanol?

Yeah, i meant on the part where the l/r is embossed. Maybe right behind the R on the right cable? I wonder if there is another glue or material that would work well. I'll play around with ideas...

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #8,796 of 19,243

And,,,, of course the Etymotic thread would be the perfect place to post this
rolleyes.gif

Crap, my apologies, i need to stop having 500 head fi tabs open

To stay on topic:

Have the ER4XR. Haven't heard the ER4SR. From memory, the ER4XR is even more transparent than the ER4PT. The way I hear it the XR treble is just perfect. Crystal clear but not detailed to a point to where it would become fatiguing. I've such a hard time imagining how the delicate bass elevation could mask the treble. I really just believe it's a matter of getting used to the overall signature. The way I hear it the treble - all of it - is there for sure.

XR treble is a little hot compared to SR. If you think the XR is non fatiguing, the SR would be even gentler!

Interesting, and I had no idea the SR treble would be any different from the XR treble. Anyway I'm perfectly happy with the XR treble. So far I haven't found any track where I find it too hot (unlike my DN2000J) , but rather just crystal clear.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #8,797 of 19,243
  Interesting, and I had no idea the SR treble would be any different from the XR treble. Anyway I'm perfectly happy with the XR treble. So far I haven't found any track where I find it too hot (unlike my DN2000J) , but rather just crystal clear.

I love the heck out of my XR and I hope I didn't sound like I was calling the XR's treble hot, cause it certainly isn't. I thought it was just a touch hotter than the SR when I demoed the two side by side, but then again, that was under 10 minutes a couple months ago now. I've had the XR for a bit now and it's all I've been using.

Love love love the XR. It's the perfect Ety for me.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #8,798 of 19,243
  If you go back to page 529, you can see the SR and XR graph comparisons.  The high frequency performance of both is basically the same.  On that particular sample, the XR is a little bit less than 1dB higher at 10kHz, but I'd be more than a little surprised if anybody could detect that difference.  On a different sample, the SR could be a bit higher.  We're really splitting hairs if we are discussing 1dB difference.

Now, perception of the overall frequency response can certainly change because of the addition of the bass boost in the XR. 

C'mon, a true audiophile can easily detect fractions of dB difference even at 20 kHz (or more) even when standing next to a passing freight train. A true audiophile can also tell the difference between various uncompressed file formats (FLAC, APPLE lossless, and so on). The brain of an audiophile is simply a scientific precision instrument that should never be underestimated.

wink.gif
 ​

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #8,799 of 19,243
  Just for fun, I decided to play around with color marking for the channels.  I call this the "advanced sharpie process" (it's not advanced).  Takes about 30 seconds and can be carefully removed with isopropanol.  I probably need to find a lighter blue for the left channel.

That looks really great! That and a tactile indicator on one of the cable connectors and I think we'd be done!

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #8,800 of 19,243
In case if someone is interested in my thoughts on an oldie but goldie, the ER-4Shttp://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2016/06/ER-4S.html

It is obviously a German review (but there is a Google translator button in the header to read a Google-translated version of it in English) of my precious that I finally finished and posted about a month or so ago. It literally took me 8 months from the first to the last words to finishing it (I started writing it in late 2015). I'm not sure if I'll ever translate it into English due to time and stuff, hence I thought I would now share it with you.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #8,801 of 19,243
  In case if someone is interested in my thoughts on an oldie but goldie, the ER-4Shttp://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2016/06/ER-4S.html
It is obviously a German review (but there is a Google translator button in the header to read a Google-translated version of it in English) of my precious that I finally finished and posted about a month or so ago. It literally took me 8 months from the first to the last words to finishing it (I started writing it in late 2015). I'm not sure if I'll ever translate it into English due to time and stuff, hence I thought I would now share it with you.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Thanks! I tried to read it but unfortunately Google translate is really hard on the eyes, especially as English isn't my native language... Guess I'll have to try to "chew it in small pieces". Anyway, it seems like a really impressive/interesting review!!!

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #8,802 of 19,243
  C'mon, a true audiophile can easily detect fractions of dB difference even at 20 kHz (or more) even when standing next to a passing freight train. A true audiophile can also tell the difference between various uncompressed file formats (FLAC, APPLE lossless, and so on). The brain of an audiophile is simply a scientific precision instrument that should never be underestimated.

wink.gif
 ​

With apologies to DosXX:
He does not need cable lifters. When he enters a room, speaker cables lift themselves out of respect.

He does not buy remastered records. He remasters his own.

He can bias power tubes to within 1mV ... by ear.

Mark Levinson build a custom preamp for him ... with tone controls and loudness.

He traps his own bass.

He has never listened to "Jazz at the Pawnshop" ... he just happened to be there and gave the recording engineer a few pointers.

McIntosh chose the color of his eyes for its VU meters.

His list of equipment is The Recommended List of Components.

His interpretation of Wife Acceptance Factor is completely different from yours ... and it has nothing to do with speakers.

Diana Krall ogles at his photos.

Hewlett-Packard uses his perfect 1Khz whistle to calibrate their test equipment.

His mere presence causes jitter in lesser components ... even analog ones.

When one of his girlfriend asked for diamonds for their anniversary, he bought himself a pair of B&W 800D speakers -- and she was ecstatic.

His ears are insured with Lloyd's of London.

It is said that Dave Wilson was inspired to build and name their MAXX speaker after seeing him naked in the locker room shower. It is also rumored that his beard shavings are the secret ingredients in Wilson Speaker's X Material.

Michael Fremer credits him for the vinyl revival.

When he is in the audience at a concert, Keith Jarrett refrains from making those annoying grunts and noises when he plays.

He once arm wrestled Eveanna Manley ... and won.

The moment he takes a new piece of equipment out of the store it appreciates in value by 40%.

He is ... the most interesting audiophile in the world.  

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #8,804 of 19,243

His ears are insured with Lloyd's of London.

This isn't normal?  Just to be clear, most people don't do this?  This might be a way to reduce my monthly expenses considerably.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #8,805 of 19,243
What is the impedance in ER38-50 green filters? 1500 Ohm? Knowles green are 1500 Ohm...
If the Knowles filters fit, I could try the 1000 Ohm (brown filter) on the XR soon.
Does Ety sell other filter impedances for this?

Just wondering about this...The green filter is there for a reason, of course.

Nobody? I'm curious. With a lower size impedance filter, we can reduce the bass body and get I bit more resolution up top. I know this is tuned in a determined way, but there also preference and fine tuning and sinergy. Or Am I saying something stupid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back