If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #8,266 of 19,243
Hard to justify the $349 price of the new one, for a potential smallish upgrade in sound quality when I'd only get $75 (or maybe $150 if I sell them myself) for my old ER4P with S cable. To upgrade seems past the point of diminishing returns. Or, to flip the argument and be more positive, a pair of used ER4s would seem to be the bargain of the century. I still think my ER4s are fantastic, and will be using them with custom molds on a couple 14+ hour flights next week. They're almost kinda close to as good as my home loudspeaker system, and I'm more than happy with the "old" ER4s. Congrats to Ety for making something that is as good and competitive today as it was in 2004 when I bought my pair.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #8,267 of 19,243
Hard to justify the $349 price of the new one, for a potential smallish upgrade in sound quality when I'd only get $75 (or maybe $150 if I sell them myself) for my old ER4P with S cable. To upgrade seems past the point of diminishing returns. Or, to flip the argument and be more positive, a pair of used ER4s would seem to be the bargain of the century. I still think my ER4s are fantastic, and will be using them with custom molds on a couple 14+ hour flights next week. They're almost kinda close to as good as my home loudspeaker system, and I'm more than happy with the "old" ER4s. Congrats to Ety for making something that is as good and competitive today as it was in 2004 when I bought my pair.

Same boat only about 10 years prior purchase date. Without hearing the new ER4's myself I'd be hard pressed to order them.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #8,268 of 19,243

I've been kind of thinking the same thing. Still on the fence myself. Not because of the price. I commend Ety for not overcharging, like others, some grossly. I am interested in a slightly more refined model, but I did like the neutral with a bit of accentuation which gave the ER4S a Grado like excitement without the Grado coloring. 

I guess we'll see. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,269 of 19,243

I guess it depends on what one considers "smallish". :p

I believe in diminishing returns, , but i also believe the er4 series are the most accurate things out there. So a small upgrade of an er4 to me is getting closer to perfection. Or at least a slightly different take on that already close to perfect sound. One might pay hundreds more to go from one mediocre earphone to another. And then hundreds more to go to another different sounding earphone.

With the er4, you are getting what you pay for in my opinion. So a small change in sound may be a big change in perception and enjoyment to one person and a financial drain for another. So definitely a personal decision :)

I bought both new models,and I'm by no means wealthy. But I've soent more going through many other earphones that ultimately were not up to par. These are all there. So i know they are worth it to me. And they also have decent resell values. So i could always keep the one i like best later and get back probably $300 for the other two. Just my thoughts. :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #8,270 of 19,243
I have a balanced cable custom made for my er4b, cost me a lot but worth it. As someone who loved the er4s to be er4b is a new level and balanced cable even took it this much further.

I hope you guys still keep the er4b and maybe why not make the ER4B a balance only version?
biggrin.gif

For me 4B is where is the fun is at.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure what's going to happen with the ER4B.  It doesn't sell nearly as well as the other models, but it's a fairly unique earphone and it definitely has its dedicated fans.  For now, the old model is still around.  It's possible at some point it might be upgraded to a newer version if there's enough demand for it.

I can't really see any earphone as balanced only.  The demand for balanced is *significantly* lower than non-balanced.  But I'll be keeping track of the suggestions here on Head-Fi.  If that's what people want, I certainly think it makes sense to keep an open mind.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #8,271 of 19,243
I guess it depends on what one considers "smallish". :p

I believe in diminishing returns, , but i also believe the er4 series are the most accurate things out there. So a small upgrade of an er4 to me is getting closer to perfection. Or at least a slightly different take on that already close to perfect sound. One might pay hundreds more to go from one mediocre earphone to another. And then hundreds more to go to another different sounding earphone.

With the er4, you are getting what you pay for in my opinion. So a small change in sound may be a big change in perception and enjoyment to one person and a financial drain for another. So definitely a personal decision :)

I bought both new models,and I'm by no means wealthy. But I've soent more going through many other earphones that ultimately were not up to par. These are all there. So i know they are worth it to me. And they also have decent resell values. So i could always keep the one i like best later and get back probably $300 for the other two. Just my thoughts. :)

Well, I think it will help people decide once they have been out in the field a bit longer.  With all of the changes we made, I think it's a significant improvement but again, I'm incredibly biased.  I'm also basing that on more than just the changes in sound.

One of my pet peeves is when companies make improvements and immediately try to convince their loyal customers that the previous model they own is now completely flawed.  So I'm not going to do that.  I guess I should be careful not to undersell it too much or I might convince people not to upgrade who might otherwise have considered it.  I'm not just not one for a lot of hyperbole.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #8,272 of 19,243
Yeah, I'm not totally sure what's going to happen with the ER4B.  It doesn't sell nearly as well as the other models, but it's a fairly unique earphone and it definitely has its dedicated fans.  For now, the old model is still around.  It's possible at some point it might be upgraded to a newer version if there's enough demand for it.

I can't really see any earphone as balanced only.  The demand for balanced is *significantly* lower than non-balanced.  But I'll be keeping track of the suggestions here on Head-Fi.  If that's what people want, I certainly think it makes sense to keep an open mind.

It would be be great if you guys could release a limited set with balance version, something like a legacy release to celebrate over 2 decade of going strong while rest of the market fighting on stuffing more drivers and achieving almost nothing.

I know I will buy one and there would be at least enough to encourage a limited release special package deals. You can even do a head count here to get an idea.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #8,274 of 19,243
It would be be great if you guys could release a limited set with balance version, something like a legacy release to celebrate over 2 decade of going strong while rest of the market fighting on stuffing more drivers and achieving almost nothing.

I know I will buy one and there would be at least enough to encourage a limited release special package deals. You can even do a head count here to get an idea.

ER4S Anniversary Edition with the new detachable cables upgrade + balanced cable for desktop use.

...A man can dream.
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #8,277 of 19,243
  Well, that's what I meant.. Ety could make/sell one if they wanted; so could others once someone copied their slotted connector.  No changes needed to the actual capsules.

Sure, there's really no technological reason why it couldn't happen.

It really boils down to how many different varieties we would need to stock (since there isn't a standard) and how many we would need to build of each type to get them at a price that people would like.  That old supply/demand curve.

We're looking at it for the SR/XR line.  ER4B isn't on the radar yet, but I'll table the discussion.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #8,278 of 19,243
It is a pleasure to read you, Etydave. Your posts, despite you being an engineer at ER still manage to come across as totally honest. 
I have long been a happy owner of the 4S, they have given me so much pleasure. I tried the 4P and truly disliked them. They defeated the purpose in my view: suddenly all what made the 4S so special, their transparency, their silky medium... were suddenly gone. I feel exactly like you: "I'd trade very low frequency accuracy for high frequency accuracy"
This being said, I have always looked and sill look for an IEM giving me the same level of transparency and yet with deeper bass.
My second issue with the 4S is how weak they sound when connected to an Iphone (unfortunately now my main source with headphones) and it is probably not helped by the fact I have the silicon custom molds fitted, whic probably takes the drivers a little too far from the eardrum.
So sorry for the long introduction but given how unpractical it is to try both the 4XR and the 4SR, (I live in London and especially if I use your kind upgrade scheme it will be difficult to order both and return one), I must say none of the posts I have read have given me an accurate idea on the one I'd prefer.
So the bottom line for me is:
- does the XR make any compromise on the definition of mids and highs? Or they simply add a bit more bass to the presentation without taking any of their transparency away?
- are they both more Iphone-friendly?

I would truly appreciate if you find the time to reply to me.
thank you

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #8,279 of 19,243
  It is a pleasure to read you, Etydave. Your posts, despite you being an engineer at ER still manage to come across as totally honest. 

x2. I almost want to blind order an SR or XR just based on this :).
Always liked Etymotics no-BS / no-price gouging attitude, only met or have seen great people from this company.
The rep in Japan Fujiya shows is very cool guy.

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #8,280 of 19,243
I can't wait to hear some impressions of the XR, I think a pair have my name on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back