If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,381 of 19,241
Ok, instead of quoting multiple previous posts, I'm going to do my best to address some of the questions that have come up.  My apologies if I miss any:

Comparisons with the old models: As most of you know, in the past the ER4S was the more accurate, lower sensitivity earphone.  By lowering the impedance, the sensitivity improved, which slightly tilted the response.  Because the only difference between the models was the impedance, it was easy to have a P-S converter cable that effectively turned an ER4P into an ER4S.

That's different in the new models.  The new ER4SR and ER4XR are both 45 ohm earphones (and have the same 1khz sensitivity).  They no longer share the same driver.  The new ER4SR driver is *slightly* different than the old one (I'm not going to oversell that), but it hits our target curve a bit more closely and is about 6dB more sensitive than the old model, which we think is nice.  The new ER4XR has basically the same response as the ER4SR except for an intentional lift in the low frequencies.  While the ER4P tilted the response which gave the impression of a warmer earphone with a bit more bass, the new one is basically flat in the mids and the highs but has a bit of a boost in the low end.

Because the drivers are different, there is no longer the possibility of a converter cable.

Detachable Cable: First thing I can clarify: we moved the resistor out of the splitter.  We stayed with the splitter tube because some felt that it was part of the industrial design that people identify as Etymotic (plus it gave us a chance to laser etch our logo on the side).  So while we'll be happy to offer replacement cables, there really isn't any reason why you'd be locked into getting one from us.

MMCX Connector:  Ah, the MMCX connector.  There certainly seems to be a lot of opinions on this one.  I can tell you that we tried a lot of different connector types (including the much beloved two-pin option).  In the end, we felt that this offered the best combination of functionality while allowing us the form factor we wanted.  I have seen some of the issues with MMCX on other earphones.  We attempted to alleviate those by countersinking the connector and adding a key.  They key prevents rotation, but it's the countersunk area of the cable (a hard plastic mold under the rubbery part) that keeps the connector snug.  Without all the lateral side force, we haven't noticed any issue with connectivity.

As far as availability, it's looking like the middle of May as long as I don't end up spending too much time on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #7,383 of 19,241
Hey Dave, thanks for answering our questions. Will the ER4-XR work similarly to the 4P by using an impedance cable to have a similar FR to the ER4-SR?

Unfortunately, since the drivers are now different (and the impedance of the earphones the same) there isn't any practical way of doing that.  The upshot (or at least I hope people look at it this way) is that you won't need to convert your more accurate sound in order to get a reasonable sensitivity.  The ERXR has a bit more low end than the ER4P did and we couldn't accomplish that in the manner we wanted to without making some changes to the driver.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #7,384 of 19,241
Also, I have acs silicon tips for my ER4-S, will these work with the new models? If not, do you have a new partner for tips?

The outside dimension of the earpieces is the same as before, so it should fit just fine with your existing ACS silicon tips.

For what it's worth, we did upgrade the body a bit.  It's now a precision machined aluminum, anodized and laser etched body.  For anybody who has ever dealt with a broken stem on their ER4s, that should be a problem of the past.  Unless, of course, you come up with a creative new way to use earphones.  And if you do, please take pictures; I'd probably like to see it*.

*within the limits of good taste, of course.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7,385 of 19,241
I used Etymotic since they sell the plastic style filters, means they are usually one time use but ensures that I can assure that the nozzles will not be damaged which "can" happen with the cheaper metal ones from mouser.

Yeah, we actually switched to the plastic filters because the tolerances of the metal filters can vary a bit and the hoop stress created on the plastic housings could occasionally result in cracking.

The new ER4s have metal bodies so we shouldn't run into any cracking issues, but a metal filter on the higher end of the manufacturing tolerance might be a bit difficult to insert and remove.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #7,387 of 19,241
Excellent. Just let let me know when to order!

I'll be happy to let you know when they are available, but I'll leave the order taking to the folks in sales.  I'm in engineering so I generally need to focus my efforts on not burning myself with a soldering iron or gluing my fingers together.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #7,388 of 19,241

Comparisons with the old models: As most of you know, in the past the ER4S was the more accurate, lower sensitivity earphone.  By lowering the impedance, the sensitivity improved, which slightly tilted the response.  Because the only difference between the models was the impedance, it was easy to have a P-S converter cable that effectively turned an ER4P into an ER4S.

That's different in the new models.  The new ER4SR and ER4XR are both 45 ohm earphones (and have the same 1khz sensitivity).  They no longer share the same driver.  The new ER4SR driver is *slightly* different than the old one (I'm not going to oversell that), but it hits our target curve a bit more closely and is about 6dB more sensitive than the old model, which we think is nice.  The new ER4XR has basically the same response as the ER4SR except for an intentional lift in the low frequencies.  While the ER4P tilted the response which gave the impression of a warmer earphone with a bit more bass, the new one is basically flat in the mids and the highs but has a bit of a boost in the low end.

Because the drivers are different, there is no longer the possibility of a converter cable.

As far as availability, it's looking like the middle of May as long as I don't end up spending too much time on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

I think this means the newest iteration warrants a separate thread (since other than dimensions so much has changed) to alleviate future confusion...

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #7,389 of 19,241

I'll be happy to let you know when they are available, but I'll leave the order taking to the folks in sales.  I'm in engineering so I generally need to focus my efforts on not burning myself with a soldering iron or gluing my fingers together.

Not your baliwick of course but do you know what the repair replace policy will be with regard to older ER4 being replaced by the newer version?

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #7,390 of 19,241

Not your baliwick of course but do you know what the repair replace policy will be with regard to older ER4 being replaced by the newer version?

Well, I am not exactly sure how that is going to be handled, but I would expect that they will keep parts around for quite a while to support users of the existing product; there's quite a bit of it in the field. 

Or are you asking about trading in older ER4s for newer ones?  I am not sure how if that is being offered or not.  Your best best will probably be a phone call to Customer Service on that.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7,391 of 19,241

Well, I am not exactly sure how that is going to be handled, but I would expect that they will keep parts around for quite a while to support users of the existing product; there's quite a bit of it in the field. 

Or are you asking about trading in older ER4s for newer ones?  I am not sure how if that is being offered or not.  Your best best will probably be a phone call to Customer Service on that.

I suspect you are right. I am in no hurry. I have a pair of HF5's as well as original ER4S the 5's have a slight buzzing developing and I have been putting off addressing that for ages now as it only happens at volumes I rarely use. If the right upgrade path suddenly appeared though..............................
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #7,392 of 19,241
  Ok, instead of quoting multiple previous posts, I'm going to do my best to address some of the questions that have come up.  My apologies if I miss any:

Detachable Cable: First thing I can clarify: we moved the resistor out of the splitter.  We stayed with the splitter tube because some felt that it was part of the industrial design that people identify as Etymotic (plus it gave us a chance to laser etch our logo on the side).  So while we'll be happy to offer replacement cables, there really isn't any reason why you'd be locked into getting one from us.

MMCX Connector:  Ah, the MMCX connector.  There certainly seems to be a lot of opinions on this one.  I can tell you that we tried a lot of different connector types (including the much beloved two-pin option).  In the end, we felt that this offered the best combination of functionality while allowing us the form factor we wanted.  I have seen some of the issues with MMCX on other earphones.  We attempted to alleviate those by countersinking the connector and adding a key.  They key prevents rotation, but it's the countersunk area of the cable (a hard plastic mold under the rubbery part) that keeps the connector snug.  Without all the lateral side force, we haven't noticed any issue with connectivity.

biggrin.gif

Hi Dave, it was really nice meeting you at AXPONA. Jack and I are fans of the new ER4s. Nice to see you in this thread. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #7,393 of 19,241
Yeah Michael, it was great to meet you and Jack at the show. I really liked the Woo amps I listened to. I wish I would've had more time to spend in the room listening to other models.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #7,394 of 19,241
Any chance of getting frequency response graphs?

Will the bass boost model be isolated to the lower sub bass? or is it going to rise into the higher 100hz+ region?

My main curiosity is what can you tell us about the sound in terms of frequency response, harmonic distortion levels, etc.? :)

The er4s is amazing, and any improvement at all is the best earphone on the planet, period. So you have sold me a pair already if you truly mean the response is "any" closer to your target, which i prefer.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #7,395 of 19,241
Hey EtyDave.. has the cable material changed in any way that may reduce the noise heard when the cable rubs against our cheeks, beards or shirt collars?  It seems like the locking collar and key for the MMCX connector was a clever way to address concerns on its wear, though less noisy replacements like the Linum won't benefit from that.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back