If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #5,956 of 19,241

Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Meanwhile, I just purchased a high quality case of renowned tradition for housing these:

I put some foam with adhesive backing on mine. Came out pretty darn good. No scratching or rattling.

I've got 2 of these coming back to Taiwan next month from the US with a colleague on a business trip for mine.
etysmile.gif

May 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5,957 of 19,241
Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Linum BaX cable comes highly recommended.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/review-estron-linum-bax-new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age

How much and where can you get those cables from here on the states. Yen to dollars shows it being about $100.

The online shop says: http://www.linum.dk/webshop/
Linum® MMCX BaX SubTotal €75.00

SHIPPING €17.00​

ORDER TOTAL    €92.00

http://www.linum.dk/faq/shipping/ says, "We normally ship with Fedex economy, which for Europe is 3-5 days and outside Europe 5-10 days." So I guess that's a flat rate worldwide. Their US distributor is listed as http://www.warnertechcare.com/

Here's another review. The unboxing photos show it comes with a "I AM A CABLE BELIVER" button
etysmile.gif
. Personally, I'm only interested in it for its mechanical properties. It can double as a garotte if the need arises (james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif). I thought there was a version with remote/mic, but I must be confusing it with something else.

May 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #5,958 of 19,241
  Just purchased a brand new ER4PT but I found a ER4S instead. The ER4PT is still sealed if anyone wants one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/768304/new-sealed-etymotic-er4pt-er4p-to-er4s-cable-included

I have been confused as to what I should buy, if I want more accuracy. By accuracy, I mean the compensated frequency response should be as close to as what we perceive in real life.

From the website's description it seems the ER4PT has a V shaped signature?  'Compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4PT has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies.'

Also does the adapter changing the signature from the PT to S require an amp due to increased impedance?

May 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,959 of 19,241
I put some foam with adhesive backing on mine. Came out pretty darn good. No scratching or rattling.

Nice! Mine is a less elegant solution, I used the foam protection that came with the ER4S box, and used double sided tape on it. Does the job for now, ordered one of those $1 cases on ebay and hoping that they don't fall apart on me, lol.

Quote:
  I have been confused as to what I should buy, if I want more accuracy. By accuracy, I mean the compensated frequency response should be as close to as what we perceive in real life.

From the website's description it seems the ER4PT has a V shaped signature?  'Compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4PT has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies.'

Also does the adapter changing the signature from the PT to S require an amp due to increased impedance?

?? I was sure that ER4PT is just ER4P with the S adapter? I don't see how they can sound any different. And certainly no Ety that I've heard so far is even remotely close to being V shaped 
confused.gif
 Even if they are referring to how the ER4P is, they actually have LESS highs (maybe it has more bass, but only when you crank the volume more up to compensate for the less highs).

Or maybe what they are talking about is how they can output more volume, since they have a lower impedance. In which case I'm not sure why they're describing it in such a way which may make them seem talking about like how they have boosted highs and lows...

May 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,960 of 19,241

?? I was sure that ER4PT is just ER4P with the S adapter? I don't see how they can sound any different. And certainly no Ety that I've heard so far is even remotely close to being V shaped 
confused.gif
 Even if they are referring to how the ER4P they actually have LESS highs (maybe it has more bass, but only when you crank the volume more up to compensate for the less highs)

Or maybe what they are talking about is how they can output more volume, since they have a lower impedance. In which case I'm not sure why they're describing it in such a way which may make them seem talking about like how they have boosted highs and lows...

The website is incredibly misleading from start to end! XD

So the ER4PT with the adapter should be completely the same as the ER4S?

May 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #5,961 of 19,241
  The website is incredibly misleading from start to end! XD

So the ER4PT with the adapter should be completely the same as the ER4S?

If one wants to get technical, then the 4P + 4S adapter actually does has 2 ohms more impedance than the 4S as 4P is 27 ohms and the adapter is 75 ohms, but of course it does not result in any sonic differences that we can hear and for all intents and purposes they should sound the same. 

May 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,963 of 19,241
25ohm for the IEM+75ohm in the cable, assuming an almost zero ohm source:
25/(25+75)=0.25v variation by adding the 75ohm.
20*log10(0.25)=12.04db

mystery solved.
wink_face.gif

May 25, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #5,968 of 19,241

Not that I'm aware of, but the inline resistor adapter cable, similar to the one Ety provide with the ER4PT is available widely.

Am aware of that, but would be nice if there is a all in one cable that can replace the stock er4s cable w/o the need to use a adaptor

Advantage of the adapter is that you can use any cable with the MMXC or Westone 2-pin connector.
Disadvantage of a dedicated ER-4 cable is (for the manufacturer) it's only good for 1 IEM, and (for the user) you're in the same boat if you don't like the new cable or it breaks.

I agree it's not the cleanest looking solution, but Awwan's adapters work great (in my experience) and you can't see or feel them when you're wearing them. He's got S, P and B versions available for Shure cables and S and B for Westone.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=FOR+ETYMOTIC+ER4+IN-EARPHONE+CABLE+ADAPTOR+-+S&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XFOR+ETYMOTIC+ER4+IN-EARPHONE+CABLE+ADAPTOR.TRS0&_nkw=FOR+ETYMOTIC+ER4+IN-EARPHONE+CABLE+ADAPTOR&_sacat=0

May 25, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,969 of 19,241
I found that when I dampen the Shure Olive tips a bit with water, I get more isolation from my MK5. I don't know if it would harm them though. 
confused.gif
 Any advices?

May 26, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,970 of 19,241
Something I didn't realize before; the larger clear triple flanges included with Etykids/MK5/MC5 etc. is actually of a different size compared to the grey triple flanges included with the ER4... the clear ones are actually few milimeters longer than the greys. I find that I actually get a better seal with the clear ones, but they do seem to change the sound a little... not noticing as much highs and the upper midrange seems to peak a bit more, but maybe it's just my imagination...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back