If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 16, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,926 of 19,241
Hi guys I have used my etymotic nearly 9 years already. ER6i for 6 months and replaced with er4p.
I am thinking of a proper upgrades for new IEMs for bit more bass.
Actually, I have bought Westone W40 couple of weeks ago, but the detail and the treble is no match to my old Etymotic.
And I keep make me coming back for it. Do you guys have any proper recommendation? 

PS. I already S cable, amp and cable and the sound improve incredibly, but those setup is not suit my life style very well.
PS2. I lived in Leeds, UK and I couldn't find any audiophile store which I could try it out. So I anyone know where I can try please let me know. Coz back in Bangkok, there are a lot of store that I can try the headphone.

May 17, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,927 of 19,241
I just received my ER4s and I love them. Burned them in for about 30 hours and using Oppo HA-2 dac/amp with iPhone 6 playing flac files thru the Onkyo HF player. Really like this setup!
So now I want to try a different cable as the micrphonics on the stock cable is extremely annoying. Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to remove the stock cable. It looks like just pulling the cable out will do it but I want to make sure that is the way it is done. Don't want to risk damaging them.
I know someone will say read the thread but nearly 400 pages is a major undertaking! 
Thanks in advance for any info!

May 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #5,928 of 19,241
  I know someone will say read the thread but nearly 400 pages is a major undertaking! 

That's why there's a search function...

Simply routing the cable over your ears will dampen out any cable noise.

Here is an earlier post showing the method I use.

..and another

May 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #5,929 of 19,241
how about amping the ER 4s.  I know this topic has come up a lot on the forums, but most threads on the topic are old and a lot of portable amps have hit the market since then.  It used to be the Mini Box E+ was an amp popular among ER 4s owners because that amp was made to go with it.  It had a bass boost and a warm expansive sound.   So what works well with them?  I have a Cayin C6 on the way for other phones, but wasn't sure how that one would do with ER 4s.  

I have been using the Leckerton UHA-6s mk2 for a year now and I love it. Increases the transparency, slightly deeper soundstage, and plays to the ER4 strength of detail and more detail.

May 18, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,930 of 19,241
I have been using the Leckerton UHA-6s mk2 for a year now and I love it. Increases the transparency, slightly deeper soundstage, and plays to the ER4 strength of detail and more detail.

No amp can increase transparency, but one amp can be more transparent than another.
What are you comparing it to?

May 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,932 of 19,241
My apologies, you are absolutely correct. I am comnparing it to the Galaxy S4 output and the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition output, as well as my Soundblaster output on my PC.

If you're rooted put Viper4Android on your S4. If you're not rooted, get rooted and put Viper4Android on your S4. 

Set the bass boost to Natural @ 78hz to 8-10db and enable Spectrum Extension and set it to 1.0 for sparkle. 

Then open Paypal and send me all your money because you'll want to throw money at me for making your ER4's that much better. :p

May 19, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #5,934 of 19,241
So now I want to try a different cable as the micrphonics on the stock cable is extremely annoying. Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to remove the stock cable. It looks like just pulling the cable out will do it but I want to make sure that is the way it is done. Don't want to risk damaging them.

Here's my tutorial for the cable mod.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560401/etymotic-er-4-aftermarket-low-microphonics-cable#post_11353406

You need the adapters because the resistors are in the pod at the Y-join of the stock cables. I've linked to this tutorial from this thread but I can't find it on my phone right now.

May 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #5,935 of 19,241
I don't want to underplay the difficulty in removing the cable from the ER4 but when I removed mine it took quite a bit of force but I never felt like I was even coming close to damaging it. I just made sure my fingers were tacky and not oily so I had a good grip and simply pulled with very very slight wiggling. Put it against your chest for better control and torque. 

I have a newer version so they might not be as tough as the older ones. It took me maybe a minute each.

Just be extremely careful. As with the above guide, do this at your own risk and me, Gixxerwimp or head-fi takes no responsibility if you damage anything. 

Best of luck and it is worth the trouble imo. 10/10, would void warranty again. :p

May 19, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #5,936 of 19,241
What I've done when removing the cable is get a box cutter blade (or something thin) and work it between the plug and housing both sides.

Do it on both sides, slowly, the plug will slowly back out.

I do not recommend removing the cable at all though as a disclaiimer.

May 21, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #5,938 of 19,241
Hey all,

Joining the ER-4S club today :) It has been such a rapid Ety journey for me over the course of 3 weeks... Started out with the etykids which I was really wowed by, then soon went over to the MK5 within two weeks... Not long after I demoed the ER-4S for the first time and... I knew I just had to get it right away. Listening to it right now and amazed by its neutrality... Lovely stuff.

I have one concern with my unit: its brand new and there is nothing wrong with it and it sounds wonderfult, but it's one of those OLDER models with red/blue markers, grey impedance barrell and non braided cable... is it normal that these are still in circulation as new? The retailer said he got it from his Canadian distributor only last month... I don't mind the markers (quite like it in fact, since I can see what is R/L very easily), but wondering about the non-braided cable... Does the braided one cut out touch noise signicantly more or is there no difference? Would Etymotic be willing to replace the cable with the newer braided one by any chance you think?

Thanks in advance.

May 21, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,939 of 19,241
Imo, you've magically pondered upon one of the rare, old school versions. They're the Golden child of ER4S, keep them intact as they're unique classic.

May 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,940 of 19,241
Mine is exactly the same as this box below:

When did Etymotic make the switch to the newer all black look, just curious? It's interesting how my local store got a bunch of NOS ER-4S from his supplier, he had about 4 more of these boxes too, all brand new. Funny thing is, his demo unit was the newer black version...

I'm usually a all-black look fan, but I'm slowly warming up to its classic look of these OG's actually 
biggrin.gif

Is the supposed touch noise improvement with the braided version nothing to write home about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back