If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,961 of 19,241
  FYI, I've posted a few remix songs that I did completely with the ER4S.

100% of the mixing was done with the ER4S using my "luis's reference" EQ inserted on the output channel to create a reference response before mixing (I disable this EQ before mixdown).

I am interested to see the discussion on  "luis's reference" EQ.  I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with the sibilance I hear on some (probably poor!) recordings. Would luisdent's formula help that?

Can anybody point me to the place on the forums where I can find out what I need to know?  Thanks!

Also, I am using the green filter inserts (standard for the ER4s). Would another colour filter help tame the sibilance or harshness I sometimes perceive on certain material? I'm a bit over-sensitive to hi frequencies it seems....

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,962 of 19,241

FYI, I've posted a few remix songs that I did completely with the ER4S.

100% of the mixing was done with the ER4S using my "luis's reference" EQ inserted on the output channel to create a reference response before mixing (I disable this EQ before mixdown).

I am interested to see the discussion on  "luis's reference" EQ.  I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with the sibilance I hear on some (probably poor!) recordings. Would luisdent's formula help that?

Can anybody point me to the place on the forums where I can find out what I need to know?  Thanks!

Also, I am using the green filter inserts (standard for the ER4s). Would another colour filter help tame the sibilance or harshness I sometimes perceive on certain material? I'm a bit over-sensitive to hi frequencies it seems....

My eq might give you an overall less sibilant feel, because the bass balances the overall spectrum and the treble is evened out a bit.  However, if a track has sibilance the er4s will portray it.  If you are sensitive to high frequencies I think my eq with green filters will help smooth it out enough that the overall sound is easier on the ears... it works well with silicon, but the comply tips will be even smoother...

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #3,963 of 19,241

My eq might give you an overall less sibilant feel, because the bass balances the overall spectrum and the treble is evened out a bit.  However, if a track has sibilance the er4s will portray it.  If you are sensitive to high frequencies I think my eq with green filters will help smooth it out enough that the overall sound is easier on the ears... it works well with silicon, but the comply tips will be even smoother...

Okay Luisdent, I'd like to try it. Could you point me to which page of this post I should go to find your eq settings

I had already decided to buy some Comply P slim tips. Still looking round to find the best deal. The manufacturer's price of $17.95 plus shipping to Europe is pretty steep. Any tips? (no pun intended, honest!)

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3,964 of 19,241
I received my replacement ER4P today. It arrived in a small box, appears to be new, just the cable, drivers and new grey Tri-tips.

Sounds very nice hooked up to my SuperMacro IV.

Total cost: $9 to ship to Etymotic, $130 (repair/replace), $9 shipping back to me.

Pricier than my original anticipated cable replacement, but happy so far.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,965 of 19,241
  Here is an updated eq table with both q values and bandwidth values:

ER4S (Green Filters/Triple Flange or Comply Foam Tips)
LDURF (LuisDent Uber Reference Flatness) EQ Settings  :wink: hehe

Q Values:
HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

Bandwidth Values:
HzdBBW
320-10.94
2000-1.50.6
12000-11.38

Just using the 40/50hz adjustments are 80% of the improvement in sound really.  The 320hz isn't critical either.  The other 20% or so is from the smoothing of the treble in general.  No one frequency makes a drastic difference, but switching between the eq and no eq will reveal more open natural treble.  You can test this by making an eq with just the bass increase and then one with the treble adjustments and switch between them quickly...  Either way, they both sound great.  If you really cared, you could roll the bass portion into one single low eq point with a wider q value, but these values were chosen here strictly for accuracy, not simplicity.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,966 of 19,241
Hi Francisk,

If you like clarity and have good recordings to match. Ety ER4-B is worth a try. It reminds me of Stax sr007 in sound signature. It is not only for binaural but for all good recordings.

The amount if bass is the same with ER4-S but because of the extra clarity, people perceive it to be less bass. Not true.

Get a good seal and find a right DAP to match for a great pairing. The impedance is more or less the same with ER4-S so an amp will give you that extra juice.

I use Shure Olives for good seal and comfort, then match it with Tera Player. Sounds amazing. Clarity with impact and analog sound to match.

IMHO

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,968 of 19,241
Also ti be fair iems which have more treble detail come across as more detailed.

That's debatable. Having any one region of the frequency spectrum boosted will mask other areas. The treble may seem at first to be more crisp, but you won't hear details present in the mids and bass as well.

Anyone that's heard a very flat response will know that it is incredible how much more detailed it sounds without having to be "crisp".

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,969 of 19,241
I say that because i had the r2l and r1l that both came across as detailed only later on when i saw the fr chart i realised the running was more of a brighter on. Who knows er4s is still an amazing iem.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,970 of 19,241
Hi Francisk,

If you like clarity and have good recordings to match. Ety ER4-B is worth a try. It reminds me of Stax sr007 in sound signature. It is not only for binaural but for all good recordings.

The amount if bass is the same with ER4-S but because of the extra clarity, people perceive it to be less bass. Not true.

Get a good seal and find a right DAP to match for a great pairing. The impedance is more or less the same with ER4-S so an amp will give you that extra juice.

I use Shure Olives for good seal and comfort, then match it with Tera Player. Sounds amazing. Clarity with impact and analog sound to match.

IMHO

Thanks for the info lescanadiens, I'm definitely going to get the ER4B adapter. In fact I find ER4S loses a little top end treble whenever I get a good seal so I guess the ER4B will be a perfect solution

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,971 of 19,241
I say that because i had the r2l and r1l that both came across as detailed only later on when i saw the fr chart i realised the running was more of a brighter on. Who knows er4s is still an amazing iem.

Well, brightness can "seem" more detailed because of the micro treble details pushed in your face.  But again, it masks lower frequencies.  So you might have a lot of little sharp details that stand out, but you might not hear the warm pad in the mix for instance.  With a balanced frequency response you would hear all of the details as they are mixed...  That's all I meant.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,972 of 19,241
Masking affects nearby frequencies (mostly within an octave), especially frequencies higher than the masker. It gets worse with louder sounds.

http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/363/1493/947/F4.expansion.html

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,974 of 19,241

play with different acoustic damper, love the orange (attached) one,...

Is that the Apuresound cable?

I also recommend trying the red or even orange filters if sibilance is a problem, although imo the ER4S shouldn't be at all sibilant. If anything it's missing some emphasis around 6-8k. Before trying different filters I'd check to make absolutely sure that fit is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back