If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 22, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #14,267 of 19,243
Something worries me about this idea of EQing two IEMs in order to make them sound identical. I think that task would be virtually impossible without some kind of superhuman memory. Think about what it entails... Constantly switching IEMs (fast enough that short-term memory doesn't clear), somehow discounting any placebo effects you might have from knowing which IEM you're currently listening to, inserting them both in a completely identical manner each time, and recalling the previous response at every frequency within a fraction of a dB. Even with the world's best parametric EQ, this sounds impossible to me. I know I couldn't do it. Even for those that will inevitably claim they can, it's something they'd never be able to prove, because if you took the resulting EQ'd headphones and put them on a coupler, no coupler would match their ears with that level of tolerance. Tiny differences in eartip shape/size, insertion depth, ear canal geometry, etc., can have very sizable effects, e.g., turning peaks into troughs and vice versa.

I agree with @JohnYang1997 that FR (amplitude vs frequency) is pretty much everything. I'm not sure it's 99%, but it's up in that ballpark. But to actually achieve such an accurate mapping of one IEM onto another via EQ? I think there'd be more chance of me winning the lottery. I think the best demonstration you could hope for would be John's suggestion (if I understood this right?) of figuring out the EQ using a coupler and measurement software, recording both headphones on that coupler mic, and then playing the recordings back on a common headphone.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #14,268 of 19,243
Something worries me about this idea of EQing two IEMs in order to make them sound identical. I think that task would be virtually impossible without some kind of superhuman memory. Think about what it entails... Constantly switching IEMs (fast enough that short-term memory doesn't clear), somehow discounting any placebo effects you might have from knowing which IEM you're currently listening to, inserting them both in a completely identical manner each time, and recalling the previous response at every frequency within a fraction of a dB. Even with the world's best parametric EQ, this sounds impossible to me. I know I couldn't do it. Even for those that will inevitably claim they can, it's something they'd never be able to prove, because if you took the resulting EQ'd headphones and put them on a coupler, no coupler would match their ears with that level of tolerance. Tiny differences in eartip shape/size, insertion depth, ear canal geometry, etc., can have very sizable effects, e.g., turning peaks into troughs and vice versa.

I agree with @JohnYang1997 that FR (amplitude vs frequency) is pretty much everything. I'm not sure it's 99%, but it's up in that ballpark. But to actually achieve such an accurate mapping of one IEM onto another via EQ? I think there'd be more chance of me winning the lottery. I think the best demonstration you could hope for would be John's suggestion (if I understood this right?) of figuring out the EQ using a coupler and measurement software, recording both headphones on that coupler mic, and then playing the recordings back on a common headphone.

You cant prove it either way so how come "FR is everything" is the conclusion. How about er4sr and er4s blind test I think the FR is pretty close and variances on user shouldn't be problem because it fit the same.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #14,269 of 19,243
You cant prove it either way so how come "FR is everything" is the conclusion. How about er4sr and er4s blind test I think the FR is pretty close and variances on user shouldn't be problem because it fit the same.
You could perform a blind A/B test on that recording of headphone A and EQ'd (via a coupler) headphone B.

I suspect ER4SR vs ER4S would be easily identifiable, and even ER4S vs another pair of ER4S, because even Etymotic's tolerances aren't that tight.

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #14,270 of 19,243
DSC_0197.jpg

Mod'ed the FiiO Lightning cable with the Ety connector. It drives the ER2SE surprisingly well.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #14,271 of 19,243
Can't reach TOTL iems level by any means and it's totally normal [...]

Not doubting the truth of your subjective impressions of the Etymotic, but only disagreeing with that particular sentence.

No TOTL can reach any etymotic ER series in terms of Frequency Reponse / Tonal Balance and fidelity.

The etymotics sound "normal" because that is their goal: to sound normal/neutral /uncolored/realistic.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #14,275 of 19,243
I made an impulse purchase on the Er2se's. While they are excellent, I should really not be spending at the moment. Anybody interested in an essentially new (just missing the clip) er2se for $90? I'm in Exeter, NH. I thought I'd post here before putting it on the for sale board. I'll throw in a pair of shure olives.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #14,276 of 19,243
I disagree, it's a very good game but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but clearly chicken nuggets taste better.
I made an impulse purchase on the Er2se's. While they are excellent, I should really not be spending at the moment. Anybody interested in an essentially new (just missing the clip) er2se for $90? I'm in Exeter, NH. I thought I'd post here before putting it on the for sale board. I'll throw in a pair of shure olives.
Exeter NH? I'm from NH. Lived in Concord last... before that all over... alexandria, barnstead, hooksette, manchester. lived there over 30 years. :p

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #14,278 of 19,243
Hi all, i do need clarification from u all about the er4sr cut off sound when u move your head too much. Apparently, i sold my er4sr and the buyer didnt know about that and start pointing out to me. I hope some of you can explain this and let him know a lil bit about this. I even gave him a free angled mmcx so he can buy 10bucks cable though.

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #14,279 of 19,243
Hi all, i do need clarification from u all about the er4sr cut off sound when u move your head too much. Apparently, i sold my er4sr and the buyer didnt know about that and start pointing out to me. I hope some of you can explain this and let him know a lil bit about this. I even gave him a free angled mmcx so he can buy 10bucks cable though.

If it's not the cable/MMCX connection, then it may be that the end of the ear tip is being blocked at a curve in his ear canal. I suggest deeper insertion of another type of tip.

Cheers... Brian

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #14,280 of 19,243
My er4sr does not cut out no matter how I move my head... Yours must be defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back