If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #13,803 of 19,243
Did someone say ER4 lacks dynamics? If so, I agree. I'm sure the Senny 6 series has more dynamics. I mean $20 Moondrop Spaceship has more dynamics than the ER4. ER4 is just not an exciting tune. People call it 'neutral' all they want, but it's just an excuse for boring tuning. There is no way such low dynamic response is 'accurate.'

What bass?
The development of spaceship is directly and highly influenced by etymotic. And the result is still not as good as etymotic just great for the price. If you like the saturated highs or the elevated mid bass, go ahead. It's still better than most other iems. It's just not as good as etymotc. The proper upgrade from them to er4 series is reference ciem. Maybe you need to get one of those in order to get the idea.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #13,804 of 19,243
Did someone say ER4 lacks dynamics? If so, I agree. I'm sure the Senny 6 series has more dynamics. I mean $20 Moondrop Spaceship has more dynamics than the ER4. ER4 is just not an exciting tune. People call it 'neutral' all they want, but it's just an excuse for boring tuning. There is no way such low dynamic response is 'accurate.'

What bass?
And here we have a perfect example of self-created image what is dynamics.
People get excited from different things, don't they? While your excitement builds from elevated bass and highs, someone else appreciates uncoloured immaculate linear presentation of mids and highs. Moreover, your vision of "accurate" based on personal preference while Etymotic has a scientific approach to that. Do we need to drag this further?
That bass, which gives you rumbling feeling.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #13,805 of 19,243
the way you use the term dynamic isn't accurate. why not start there?

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #13,806 of 19,243
I have listened to so much electronic music on ER4(XR) and it is very spacious, great separation, and kicks do not get "buried" at all to me. Every criticism you have made about the Ety versus a DD IEM sounds like the symptom of an imperfect fit. Then again, you may just prefer the dynamic driver's 'impact' more so than the Ety's detail. You describe "softness" in the sound which I have experienced when the fit is not right.

I've noticed this using certain third party eartips. The difference is subtle, but I feel like the ultra transparent instrument separation and imaging isn't as lucid. Music becomes fatiguing. I find myself not listening to music over long stretches of time.
After I switched back to the stock tips, it felt like all of the magic came back.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #13,808 of 19,243
And here we have a perfect example of self-created image what is dynamics.
People get excited from different things, don't they? While your excitement builds from elevated bass and highs, someone else appreciates uncoloured immaculate linear presentation of mids and highs. Moreover, your vision of "accurate" based on personal preference while Etymotic has a scientific approach to that. Do we need to drag this further?
That bass, which gives you rumbling feeling.

I wouldn't know what accurate sounds like without actually listen to it, the sound signature you get used to is what sound most right to you no matter what. I don't always liked diffuse field sound. I just get used to it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #13,810 of 19,243
Dynamic range has less to do with the signature in this case. I also don't think more colored headphones have better dynamic range in any sense of the word than a flat EQ-ed HD600. In fact from memory I would say a flat HD600 is more dynamic than the colored AKGs that I've used over the years (and those had way more bass bleed).

Full range BAs seem to have this inherent softness to them. Perhaps this is due to a lack of certain artifacts that are present in a typical DD. You can hear kick drums pop out more on the HD600 (with or without EQ) and not in terms of intensity but they actually seem more separated which gives this sense of effortlessness. The sound on the Ety BAs seems to be made of one piece so to speak. This is indeed due to the accurate tuning but also probably due to the smooth distortion and speed of the driver (and perhaps the shape of the driver too). Who knows how the driver design can influence the sound.

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #13,811 of 19,243
I wouldn't know what accurate sounds like without actually listen to it, the sound signature you get used to is what sound most right to you no matter what. I don't always liked diffuse field sound. I just get used to it.
Sure, you need to visit concerts and musical events from time to time, listening to musical instruments separately and with other instruments, defining & memorizing its behaviour and character. Maybe even become a musician yourself.
Sound signature is a preference of an individual, it's not about accuracy. After several years having been reading others people impressions here I think by "accuracy" most of them trying to imply how much "sound body" IEM or headphones can reproduce relative to live performance. They have a reasonable point here without a doubt. However, this is something else, probably, not what I would be considered as "accuracy". Hmm...can't find right words to continue this part.
A "timbre accuracy" representing the character of a musical instrument or a voice - yes, this is the quality which is a part of so-called term "accuracy".

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #13,812 of 19,243
Sure, you need to visit concerts and musical events from time to time, listening to musical instruments separately and with other instruments, defining & memorizing its behaviour and character. Maybe even become a musician yourself.
Sound signature is a preference of an individual, it's not about accuracy. After several years having been reading others people impressions here I think by "accuracy" most of them trying to imply how much "sound body" IEM or headphones can reproduce compared to live performance. They have a reasonable point here without a doubt. But it's only a part of what might be considered "accuracy". There is also a very important quality, "timbre accuracy" representing the character of a musical instrument or a voice - this is what about ER4, its strongest achievement.

Timbre! That's exactly the word. Every IEM I listen to the very first priority for me is accurate timbre, especially of the vocals. ER4SR has the most realistic timbre of everything I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back