If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #16,637 of 19,243
Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I really like to try etymotic and was trying to find an er4xr but with no luck (new in Europe they are over €400 still) and don’t want to risk it since I heard fitting could be....
I know the 2xr is using dynamic driver but the other two are using the same type of BA driver.
Anyone can help shed some light on this pls.
I would find a cheap ER2XR from Thomann if I were you and about to get my first etymotics.

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #16,639 of 19,243
I really like to try etymotic and was trying to find an er4xr but with no luck (new in Europe they are over €400 still) and don’t want to risk it since I heard fitting could be an issue.
So there is the er3xr which is €160 new also maybe I found a deal.
So how much different are the models or is it just minor differences from the 4xr to the 3xr.
I know the 2xr is using dynamic driver but the other two are using the same type of BA driver.

thanks.
You can still get er4xr for $129 in adorama!
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.ht...dV3iVCmUkEXPT0xRzMBUs0&utm_source=rflaid62905
See if you can import them, that should still make it way cheaper than €400. Also er3xr is $80.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.ht...dV3iVCmUkEXPTyJRzMBUs0&utm_source=rflaid62905

From all the post from before, they seem to be quite close. And with an adapter to add resistance, you can make them more or less same. Hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #16,640 of 19,243
I would find a cheap ER2XR from Thomann if I were you and about to get my first etymotics.
That would be on the list if I find no problems with the fit, but I like to try the BA models first tbh. S
You can still get er4xr for $129 in adorama!
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.ht...dV3iVCmUkEXPT0xRzMBUs0&utm_source=rflaid62905
See if you can import them, that should still make it way cheaper than €400. Also er3xr is $80.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.ht...dV3iVCmUkEXPTyJRzMBUs0&utm_source=rflaid62905

From all the post from before, they seem to be quite close. And with an adapter to add resistance, you can make them more or less same. Hope this helps.
thanks , that’s great to know. Will calculate import tax/vat and see if it’s an option. Thanks again for the info too. 👍

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #16,641 of 19,243
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #16,642 of 19,243
I really like to try etymotic and was trying to find an er4xr but with no luck (new in Europe they are over €400 still) and don’t want to risk it since I heard fitting could be an issue.
So there is the er3xr which is €160 new also maybe I found a deal.
So how much different are the models or is it just minor differences from the 4xr to the 3xr.

thanks.

To keep my answer short, the ER3XR and ER4XR sound almost identical, with only small differences between them (much, much less obvious than the already rather small (but audible) tonal differences between the ER3SE and ER4SR) - minimally more present upper bass and lower fundamental range on the ER3XR, with the ER3XR being just a little more recessed in the presence range and between 6 kHz and 7 kHz (the latter can be heard in cymbals having slightly less energy). Those are all just very small differences, though, and smaller than the channel matching differences of some IEMs that already match well. And if I recall correctly, adding some resistance to the ER3XR turns them into the ER4XR.

Personally, while I would pick the ER4SR over the ER3SE due to being more accurate, the differences between the ER3XR and ER4XR (at least when speaking about the units that I have on hand) are smaller and therefore negligible enough to get the ER3XR over the ER4XR.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #16,644 of 19,243
수정됨_182773.jpg

my ER3XR is housing is coming apart. is it ok to glue it back together? will the sound change?

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #16,645 of 19,243
수정됨_182773.jpg

my ER3XR is housing is coming apart. is it ok to glue it back together? will the sound change?

Use a dot or two of super glue closer on the stem side. Careful not to place too much super glue. Done properly it should be good as normal. I am just amazed how this could happen in the first place since the way Ety barrels are designed, they seems bomb proof enough for me

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #16,646 of 19,243
수정됨_182773.jpg

Out of warranty, then, eh?

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #16,647 of 19,243
To keep my answer short, the ER3XR and ER4XR sound almost identical, with only small differences between them (much, much less obvious than the already rather small (but audible) tonal differences between the ER3SE and ER4SR) - minimally more present upper bass and lower fundamental range on the ER3XR, with the ER3XR being just a little more recessed in the presence range and between 6 kHz and 7 kHz (the latter can be heard in cymbals having slightly less energy). Those are all just very small differences, though, and smaller than the channel matching differences of some IEMs that already match well. And if I recall correctly, adding some resistance to the ER3XR turns them into the ER4XR.

Personally, while I would pick the ER4SR over the ER3SE due to being more accurate, the differences between the ER3XR and ER4XR (at least when speaking about the units that I have on hand) are smaller and therefore negligible enough to get the ER3XR over the ER4XR.
I have also made a comparison between ER3XR and ER4XR and also made test with a 30 ohm resistor. You can find in the next post I maddened a while ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-16024076

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #16,648 of 19,243
Hi, anyone here already tried Aonic 4? Someone selling it for cheap in one of the local facebook forums, and I'm really curious, but afraid I'll be disappointed if it's not any better or worse than ER4SR or ER4B that I've got. Maybe someone here can help me with the impressions? Thank you.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #16,649 of 19,243
Hi, anyone here already tried Aonic 4? Someone selling it for cheap in one of the local facebook forums, and I'm really curious, but afraid I'll be disappointed if it's not any better or worse than ER4SR or ER4B that I've got. Maybe someone here can help me with the impressions? Thank you.

I haven't heard them nor do I have any plans to do so, but based purely on their frequency response, they are tuned quite a bit differently from the ER4SR, if it's a comparable kind of frequency response that you are looking for:

Measurements taken from: https://blog.naver.com/gre_nada

11252634.jpg
Etymotic_Research_ER4SR_-_df.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #16,650 of 19,243
I haven't heard them nor do I have any plans to do so, but based purely on their frequency response, they are tuned quite a bit differently from the ER-4SR, if it's a comparable kind of frequency response that you are looking for:

Measurements taken from: https://blog.naver.com/gre_nada

11252634.jpg
Etymotic_Research_ER4SR_-_df.png
Thanks a lot for the reply. Looking at that, I guess I'm quite sure I'll be disappointed. The bass and mid seems to high. Once again, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back