If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #16,157 of 19,243
Have you any idea about the release in Europe; as pricing has been rather high here, whereas availability was low.

I am not as plugged into the sales side of things, but I'll see what I can find out.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #16,158 of 19,243
Hi, hmm I'm new here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, I've had my ER4B for two years now. However, I've been very concerned with the tips durability. Don't know why, only after around four to six months, the tri flange tips are already loose. I've used 4 sets already now, but right now don't have any spare left. Too expensive buying it on ebay and amazon, as the shipping is as much as the price itself.

Because of that, I'm thinking about third party or fake tips. Do you think that will change the sound that much? I'm using it to edit videos sometimes, so I want to maintain accuracy if I can. I'm thinking about something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Large-Cl...-/321102460281?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

So, any of you have the experience using third party tips?

Thank you.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #16,159 of 19,243
Never too late to join the game!
My first Ety iem - er2se

Attachments

• 1A01AC04-1FC5-44FE-981F-16C3B82A5ED2.jpeg
    1A01AC04-1FC5-44FE-981F-16C3B82A5ED2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #16,160 of 19,243
Hey guys i got a problem with my er4xr. Basically the right buds has some cutoff and distortion. This is just happening randomly. I contacted the seller and they are offering me a free replacement, so I am glad to take it. (Like too much the er4xr) [...]

WOuld you like to state after how long you are enjoying your ER4's?

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #16,161 of 19,243
Hi, hmm I'm new here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, I've had my ER4B for two years now. However, I've been very concerned with the tips durability. Don't know why, only after around four to six months, the tri flange tips are already loose. I've used 4 sets already now, but right now don't have any spare left. Too expensive buying it on ebay and amazon, as the shipping is as much as the price itself.

Because of that, I'm thinking about third party or fake tips. Do you think that will change the sound that much? I'm using it to edit videos sometimes, so I want to maintain accuracy if I can. I'm thinking about something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Large-Cl...-/321102460281?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

So, any of you have the experience using third party tips?

Thank you.
Welcome! (relatively new as well)

I can see your point on the triple flange tips; I have replaced my first set after some 8 months or so. They also came off easily (actually at one point staying in my ear, while I had my monitor in my hand :D. Much different than I was used to. Even Shure olive foams do longer (>1 year) than that with proper cleaning. Still, I use the triple flange for a stabler fit and isolation.

Tips affect the sound quite a bit (look at graphs by Crinicle and others), I find the double flanges to be warmer than the triples as well (before I looked at some graphs), although I like them.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #16,162 of 19,243
Welcome! (relatively new as well)

I can see your point on the triple flange tips; I have replaced my first set after some 8 months or so. They also came off easily (actually at one point staying in my ear, while I had my monitor in my hand :D. Much different than I was used to. Even Shure olive foams do longer (>1 year) than that with proper cleaning. Still, I use the triple flange for a stabler fit and isolation.

Tips affect the sound quite a bit (look at graphs by Crinicle and others), I find the double flanges to be warmer than the triples as well (before I looked at some graphs), although I like them.

First of all, thank you for the reply. And I'll check on the graphs later.

I'm thinking about the knockoff triple flange tips. Have you got any experience with that?

Yeah, durability-wise, Ety's tips are good. But, like you said, they become really loose in just a few months' time. Something that has been really bugging me a lot with Ety. If not for the sound, I would be even more annoyed. And I used to have a pair of 215 SE. The foams worked really well even after two years of constant use.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #16,164 of 19,243
[...] I'm thinking about the knockoff triple flange tips. Have you got any experience with that?

Yeah, durability-wise, Ety's tips are good. But, like you said, they become really loose in just a few months' time. Something that has been really bugging me a lot with Ety. If not for the sound, I would be even more annoyed. And I used to have a pair of 215 SE. The foams worked really well even after two years of constant use.
1. No, I am staying true to the triples, which I really kinda like (I am only using the ER4 XR since April last year). I am a great proponent of open source though: proprietary stuff like certain tips or connectors is a drawback to any design I find. Obviously it is a business model of aftersales first, instead of maintainability-first :frowning2:

2. "A few months" seems a bit short, I have heavily used my ER4 XR since I got them, around 10+ hours per day. I can see how coming from Shure opens your musical mind going to Etymotic.

Weird - I have etys several years old and the triple flanges never caused any issues.
Have you got the new transparent triples or the 'old' grey ones?

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #16,167 of 19,243
1. No, I am staying true to the triples, which I really kinda like (I am only using the ER4 XR since April last year). I am a great proponent of open source though: proprietary stuff like certain tips or connectors is a drawback to any design I find. Obviously it is a business model of aftersales first, instead of maintainability-first :frowning2:

2. "A few months" seems a bit short, I have heavily used my ER4 XR since I got them, around 10+ hours per day. I can see how coming from Shure opens your musical mind going to Etymotic.

Have you got the new transparent triples or the 'old' grey ones?

My trans-blue ones tend to only last a few months. Their new dual flange tips too. The trans blue ones didn't normally wear at the nozzle connection though, they always ended up having a crease in the biggest flange of the tree.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #16,168 of 19,243
@EtyDave
( Or anyone who's cut off the XR2 jack and re terminated it )
Re terminated the stock cable on the 4XR to 4.4mm as it's a full 4 core ( not a fan of 2.5mm ) Just wondering what's the stock cable on the 2XR below the splitter, 3 or still 4 core ?
Someone from our local forum has reterminated the stock 3xr cable to 2.5 balanced. From what I can tell, stock cable of 2 and 3 series are the same except for the y-plit metal color and label.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #16,170 of 19,243
I bought the pack and really like the brown filters. A lot. Did not bother with filters with lower treble than the stock green.
Swapped the green for red on the 4XR and it's added just a hint more bass without affecting the rest, did you swap over to the browns on a set of 2XR or 2SE ? What's you opinion over stock across the frequencies ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back