If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #15,676 of 19,243
Just order er2se/er2xr from amazon.com . They will ship in several days via dhl. Did it, no problems. Although my er2xr failed, amazon shipped them back via dhl for free.

Why would I? I have the superior ER3SE and happy with it :)
For the advertised US prices add the delvery fees + the local customs clearance + local VAT, so suddenly it's not really a good deal.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #15,677 of 19,243
Why would I? I have the superior ER3SE and happy with it :)
For the advertised US prices add the delvery fees + the local customs clearance + local VAT, so suddenly it's not really a good deal.
I dunno, I naively assumed that you want ER2XR badly but just put off by the price.
As a guy with 2 ER4 I still ordered ER2XR :)
Amazon prepays all charges so er2xr comes out to 134 Euro. Still a decent deal.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #15,678 of 19,243
I recently purchased a set of ER4XR after owning the ER2SE for many months and initially I thought the 4XR were a much better set but recently I have been listening to the 2SE more and more.

I could not say which set is better than the other. Only it depends on what you want to listen to at the time.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #15,679 of 19,243
I dunno, I naively assumed that you want ER2XR badly but just put off by the price.
As a guy with 2 ER4 I still ordered ER2XR :)
Amazon prepays all charges so er2xr comes out to 134 Euro. Still a decent deal.

I try to limit myself... ety3se, klipsch i12, etyhf5, b&o and that's just the earphones + the headphones + all the daps + + +

True, amazon makes it easy (but not necessarily cheap) to buy from the .com or .jp sites to the EU

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #15,680 of 19,243
I recently purchased a set of ER4XR after owning the ER2SE for many months and initially I thought the 4XR were a much better set but recently I have been listening to the 2SE more and more.

I could not say which set is better than the other. Only it depends on what you want to listen to at the time.
You're not alone. The ER2SE is definitely a good ety iem. I was comparing them side by side with the 4XR earlier and the difference is really not that much. Just different character if I may say. I'd be glad to listen to whichever I grab first.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #15,681 of 19,243
Hi all, in my country, for a budget I have, I can buy old models ER4S or ER4PT or new models ER3SE/XR, please suggest what will be better for jazz and vocal oriented music? Now Im using Sennheiser HD600 and Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 but now I work from home and I need good noise isolation from my children :) Is there any sense to pay a bit more for old ER4 series compared to new ER3?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #15,682 of 19,243
Hi all, in my country, for a budget I have, I can buy old models ER4S or ER4PT or new models ER3SE/XR, please suggest what will be better for jazz and vocal oriented music? Now Im using Sennheiser HD600 and Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 but now I work from home and I need good noise isolation from my children :) Is there any sense to pay a bit more for old ER4 series compared to new ER3?
2 considerations:
1. ER4PT is more versatile. You can have easier to drive and louder er4p and then adapter to turn it into er4s.
2. ER3SE/XR are made from metal so more reliable. Etymotic stopped servicing old er4pt/s.

In terms of SQ ER3SE is about the same as ER4S.
I would get ER3SEor ER2SE if I were you and for your music.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #15,683 of 19,243
Thanks for your comment, if old version has better sound I can pay a bit more, I mean old ones will be matched for example, new er3 not, also I planned to buy better cable for old model in case I will buy them. What do you think, that drivers match somehow gave any advantage? I dont know why but I really like old etymotics, maybe because they are not changed for so many years and for example 10 years ago I cant afford a pair. But, if sound is the same no sense to pay more of course.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #15,684 of 19,243
I am also a jazz and vocals listener, and for my tastes I would immediately pick ER3SE.

• ER4S is great, but a little bit thin sounding and IMO really wants good amplification.
  • ER4P(T) has always been wrong-sounding to me. I go through a song or two thinking "why don't I like this? This is fine" but before long its tonal balance starts bugging me – it's kind of an uncanny valley thing where it sounds almost right, yet still uncomfortably wrong. Yes, I know I am in the minority in feeling this way.
  • I haven't heard the ER3XR but I sure didn't like the ER4XR. For jazz it was just a hard no for me. Best way I can put it is vocalist accompanied by piano and bass should not sound like bass and pianist's left hand accompanied by vocalist and pianist's right hand. It's just wrong.
  • ER3SE is terrific. I love it almost as much as ER4SR. To my ears ER3SE has a little more sweetness, a little more reinforcement in the smooth-and-swinging notes, that just makes jazz come alive beautifully. ER4SR in comparison is a little more austere, what I'd call a more "correct" presentation. If you want to enjoy jazz and vocals rather than dissect them, I'd choose ER3SE.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #15,685 of 19,243
Er3se

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #15,686 of 19,243
Thanks for your comment, if old version has better sound I can pay a bit more, I mean old ones will be matched for example, new er3 not, also I planned to buy better cable for old model in case I will buy them. What do you think, that drivers match somehow gave any advantage? I dont know why but I really like old etymotics, maybe because they are not changed for so many years and for example 10 years ago I cant afford a pair. But, if sound is the same no sense to pay more of course.
Old Etymotics can be fragile at times (stem breaks) so unless you can easily claim warranty still choose ER3SE .

Also old ER4 had terrible,really TERRIBLE cable in terms of MICROPHONICS.I had to stay buddha STILL so they dont make too much noise into my ear due to movement.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #15,688 of 19,243
I just want to report back that I tried the 20 ohm resistor on the ER3SE. I have to say it definitely changes the FR and makes it noticeably brighter. Hence overall better details and more spatial sounding. Seems like indeed we can just buy the cheaper ER3 and apply this reisitor trick to get close to ER4 performance. Very happy with them so far!

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #15,690 of 19,243
Do you have a schema how to do this? Resistor should be added to left and right channel?
You add resistor to both left and right channels or you can add to the ground but only one.
I built one with trimming resistors on a pcb board and i can adjust resistance per channel in range from 0 to 50 ohms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back