If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #15,632 of 19,243
well, im just hoping mine comes with all the tips. *pray*

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #15,633 of 19,243
4 sizes of double-flange tips just as er4xr/er4sr have. I asked seller before buying about tips because er2 series didn't change box design as er4 series, so you don't know whether new tips included or not.
When i got my er2xr i was very concerned if i get these so just ordered a special pack from amazon. Good to see that these are provided. Although i was ultimately disappointed with dual flanges. Anyway, might be better for someone else.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #15,634 of 19,243
how about the narrow bore of shure silicone tips? any good?

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #15,635 of 19,243
how about the narrow bore of shure silicone tips? any good?
It is all highly dependent on your ear canal. If too deep you get little hf, if too shallow there will be sibilants due to ear canal resonances. You can only try.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #15,636 of 19,243
The build and accessories on this new ER4SR are a little disappointing compared with the earlier version that I previously owned. The new cable is much thinner than I remembered and the housing feels much lighter than I recall. Guess they had to cut cost somewhere now that they're assembled in Vietnam now.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #15,637 of 19,243
I'm actually seeing it as a plus that my ER4XR have a lighter cable than the one I saw a reviewer note was rather thick and heavy, on an older review of them -- as I saw that as a downside. It feels durable to me so I don't worry that it is cheaply made.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #15,638 of 19,243
My 4xr from adorama has just arrived with the double flange tips. Almost a week of waiting. Not bad.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #15,639 of 19,243
20201026_075332.jpg

so this may not be 100% relevant since this can work with any other pair of earphones and headphones, but since you guys are already talking about other headphones anyway I thought I would share what I've done over the weekend
finally I solved my bass imbalance problem by making an adjustable bass bypass attenuator... basically it softens the volume of every frequency except 100hz downwards, so you need to turn up the volume to get the same loudness, but you will also be turning the volume up on the bass, which is good as far as I am concerned
For each channel, the signal travels on 2 paths, one with just inline resistance , and the other with the inline resistance and an inductor which lets the bass through...
There is also a low output impedance to ground using a low value resistor, in series with a capacitor which will force the low frequencies to be sent to the drivers, in case anyone is wondering why there are capacitors in my circuit
I can use the potentiometer to adjust the ratio of how much signal from the simple and bass bypass paths get in each channel, so now I can compensate for the side with less bass, but overall it there is what feels like a 9db increase in the bass regions even at the minimum setting, its hard for me relate this with digital EQ's which I have been using thus far since this is physically making the bass louder... I have to be careful not to set it too high otherwise there is distortion
Plus now I can use my ER4SR's with high impedance amplifiers and there is no more background hiss

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #15,641 of 19,243
Why's all the talk of ER4 and ER2 but no love for the ER3? I'd say that's the Goldilocks version, 95% ER4 at a fraction of the price (IIRC the ER4 has hand-matched drivers while the ER3 is not hand matched and that's all there is)

ER2 has a better timbre for many and less distortion.
ER4's price nowadays is basically the same as the ER3 and you get a better channel match, cable, and accessories. ($160 ATM https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?sdtid=14325611&emailprice=t).

The real question is... why is the ER3 a product?

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #15,642 of 19,243
The build and accessories on this new ER4SR are a little disappointing compared with the earlier version that I previously owned. The new cable is much thinner than I remembered and the housing feels much lighter than I recall. Guess they had to cut cost somewhere now that they're assembled in Vietnam now.

Really? Can anyone compare both with some pictures? That sounds bad.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #15,643 of 19,243
Oh damn nice. I had er2se back then. That was one of the moments for me to be "shock" in my audio hobby. Im so in love with the clarity er2se could give. Though, after a few days, i feel like it's not really comfortable for me to wear it in the long run. End up returning it.

And here am i, after about a year, i started missing it. I just ordered it yesterday without knowing that "new tips". Wow, i think i just hit the pot! that double looks soooo comfortable than the triple flange. Still, im gonna keep it this time. Chifi nowadays with sub $500 is nothing compared to this er2.
Let's climb higher. I wonder how ER2Se will perform against Victor HA-FW10000:slight_smile:

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #15,644 of 19,243
Really? Can anyone compare both with some pictures? That sounds bad.
I used to have the original version of 4SR and I can confirm based from memory that the new cables from my new 4XR are significantly thinner and more supple which is a good thing for me. For the earpiece casing, they look the same so I can't tell if something's changed.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #15,645 of 19,243
The HD800 is very overhyped for a TOTL. Has 5% THD like the HD6XX, needs the 6k peak tamed, Still has excursion issues of using a <50mm driver which show's with heavy bass boosts. Wouldn't touch it if there was either ER4XR or HD800 as a choice. Ironically the ER2/ER4 <0.3% under 200Hz at 100db, So cue less colouring there in Electronic/Metal. No idea what they did with the HD800S it bass measures like the HD650?.
I didn't really hear it. You don't need a crazy bass shelf on the HD800 in my opinion. Just 3-4 dB of sub bass boost, which it can do easily. I don't think you can infer detail from THD measurements.

The HD800S has the same amount of THD as the original according to oratory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back