If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #136 of 19,203
Briefly, the Weston UM3X is better than ER4P when used with a portable source. As for ER4S, I understand that UM3X is a version suitable for DAP's without the use of external amplification, while the ER4S is a "professional" version and need a good source and a powerful amplifier. Ultimately, the UM3X and Ety ER4S do not share the same sound signature, however, share a number of characteristics that make them somehow, competitors.

The neutral sound signature, the perfect tone, great separation between instruments and high detail are the basic features found in both headphones.

I love both!

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
how would the ER4-P compare to Westone UM-1's? I am using the Westones right now and I've been wondering if I should move into UM3X/SM3 or Etymotic territory when upgrading

May 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #137 of 19,203

Thanks for the response! From where I live, the price difference between the UM3X/SM3 and the ER4-P is fairly big. If the Etymotics can produce similar sound for much less, then I guess I'd go with them
Quote:
Briefly, the Weston UM3X is better than ER4P when used with a portable source. As for ER4S, I understand that UM3X is a version suitable for DAP's without the use of external amplification, while the ER4S is a "professional" version and need a good source and a powerful amplifier. Ultimately, the UM3X and Ety ER4S do not share the same sound signature, however, share a number of characteristics that make them somehow, competitors.

The neutral sound signature, the perfect tone, great separation between instruments and high detail are the basic features found in both headphones.

I love both!

Cheers,

Peter

May 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #138 of 19,203
The equation is not so simple...

To have the same level of listening pleasure (the "unit" that I use to compare different headphones), the Etymotic will need a better source, as well as a strong and clean amplification, which cost a lot of money.

Already with the UM3X, the price of the phone is bigger, but it can work quite close to their real possibilities with a more simple source and without the use of amplification. The setup Westone UM3X + Cowon J3 is simply fantastic and it works very well with the Sansa Clip, for example.

Before taking a decision, you should consider all the components that are part of the setup, under penalty of some kind of disappointment.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Thanks for the response! From where I live, the price difference between the UM3X/SM3 and the ER4-P is fairly big. If the Etymotics can produce similar sound for much less, then I guess I'd go with them

May 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #139 of 19,203

I currently only have a sansa clip+ and a hippo box+ amplifier. is it enough for the ER-4P? From what I understand, the P is for portable and more suitable for basic daily usage, not serious stage monitoring
Quote:
The equation is not so simple...

To have the same level of listening pleasure (the "unit" that I use to compare different headphones), the Etymotic will need a better source, as well as a strong and clean amplification, which cost a lot of money.

Already with the UM3X, the price of the phone is bigger, but it can work quite close to their real possibilities with a more simple source and without the use of amplification. The setup Westone UM3X + Cowon J3 is simply fantastic and it works very well with the Sansa Clip, for example.

Before taking a decision, you should consider all the components that are part of the setup, under penalty of some kind of disappointment.

Cheers,

Peter

May 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #141 of 19,203
Etys are a keeper for me.  I first bought the ER6's then ER4S, and still use both.  The ER6's are easier to drive without an amp, but I've used them with an AirHead with very good results.  For the ER4S I'd recomend the Headroom Micro, it has more power, to drive the 4S with deeper bass and resolution.  I love them, they are incredibly detailed yet sound natural, with no obvious coloration.

May 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #142 of 19,203
Yes, your setup is enought for the ER4P. The problem is that the Westone UM3X is much better than the ER4P with this setup, besides being more comfortable and the cable is free for any microphony.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
I currently only have a sansa clip+ and a hippo box+ amplifier. is it enough for the ER-4P? From what I understand, the P is for portable and more suitable for basic daily usage, not serious stage monitoring

May 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #143 of 19,203
I always loved my ER-4P/S, got custom molds, OFC cable, super-synergetic XIN Supermicro amp...

But I still was not satisfied by the sound. So I sold Etys and moved on RE262, which sounds tad fuller, warmer and smoother. All my DAPs / DACs were delta-sigma then. Then I bought multi-bit source - HM-602. And its analog-like sound changed a game. Now I am missing my Etys and I am going to try them again comparing to RE262. 

May 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #144 of 19,203
Hello Kostalex!

My first HM-601 had a magical synergy with my ER4S. Like you said, and organic and analog sound that was the perfect complement to this headphone: The sound had an excellent body, the tone was slightly warm, layered bass and treble "rounded" by the warmth of the DAP.

The second HM-601 dont worked like the first one, with its too bright sound and lacking in body and bass.

I´m still looking for the perfect setup for my ER4S. It´s so hard... :O(

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
I always loved my ER-4P/S, got custom molds, OFC cable, super-synergetic XIN Supermicro amp...

... Then I bought multi-bit source - HM-602. And its analog-like sound changed a game. Now I am missing my Etys and I am going to try them again comparing to RE262. 

May 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #146 of 19,203
Call me old-school but I still use a Sony CD walkman (D-EJ2000) for a portable.  I like listening to whole CD's and the quality is better than any mp3 player I've heard.  It has a dedicated like out and an optical digital out for an external DAC, which I have yet to try.   I bought it for $100 new, now one can buy a good CD walkman for $10!  How much dough is one willing to spend on a portable rig nowadays?

ps -  A small notebook PC makes a fabulous sourse too.

May 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #148 of 19,203
I believe I am qualified to answer that, since I have both...the ER.6 (not i-version) and ER-4S.  They are somewhat similar in signiture, where clearity and detail are conserned.  Provide good isolation, I've used them as ear-plugs.   The differences are in the refinement, and depending on amplification used.  With the ER6's you get more bass, perhaps the 6i is even higher, but less refinement and separation, as with the ER4S.  They truly are excellent monitors and true to the music.  The ER6's are fun and easier to use/take with you on the go.  It's not a big deal if they got lost or broken.  Mine came apart, the rubber shield came off, but they work fine after many years.  The ER4S are harder to insert and more expensive, but they come with way more tips and spare filters, I've only changed them once by choice.   If you can afford to, go with them, the detail and refinement of music is worthed.   On the other hand the ER6s will beat any ear-buds and sound terrific with metal and bassy music, they are more mortable and inconspicuous looking.  The cables are thinner too. 

May 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #149 of 19,203
UM3x sounds very different from ER4. I think they are completely different animals. UM3X is really easy to drive - too easy to drive and is usually too loud at the lowest settings with all cell phones and ipods I have tried. It needs an amp to de-amplify the sound.

The ER4P is harder to drive, but not by much. Throw in a 75 Ohm cable and its a lot harder to drive.

I think the etymotics still have a much more refined sound - contiguous and consistent. The UM3X seems peaky at various frequencies, low and high.

Talking about ER6, those things use to be bang for the buck back when ER4 cost like $400. I thought the HF5 supplanted the ER6 series. I can also vow the ER6 having very good isolation, but nowhere close to er4. For some strange reason, I had to replace the filters to the ER6 every month. I had my ER4PT for like three months and they still sound good. I think the ER6 filters are not as deep, so they catch all my ear wax much easier.

If I had to move around lot with them, I choose the UM3X. The microphonics is much more manageable.

May 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #150 of 19,203
This is true.  Since the ruber tips on the ER6 are shorter, wax or water can get in easier.  I've had to order extra filters from HeadRoom, they came in a set of 3.
Sometimes if there is no sound coming out or it's lower, the filters may be just wet, one can take the tips off and let them dry on their own.  With some effort the longer ruber tips from the ER4 can be streatched on the ER6's. It's actually a better seal and more comfortable.  With the ER4s I've never had any wear issues, but I use them less often.  It's a good idea to take the tips off and wash them with some soap once in a while, maybe your ears too! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back