If you like fatty foods
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So today for lunch I had salo. Salo is salted pork fat. Commonly in Russia, you eat this with vodka. So if you love fat, you may like this. If not, you may gag a little. You can find salo at a Russian food store and the Russian old ladies will know exactly what you are talking about if you ask for it. 

Salo is good because it will make you strong and keep you warm to survive the winter especially if you have it with vodka which is the proper way to eat it.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 13
So today for lunch I had salo. Salo is salted pork fat. Commonly in Russia, you eat this with vodka. So if you love fat, you may like this. If not, you may gag a little. You can find salo at a Russian food store and the Russian old ladies will know exactly what you are talking about if you ask for it. 

Salo is good because it will make you strong and keep you warm to survive the winter especially if you have it with vodka which is the proper way to eat it.

Another instant classic SR!

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 13
That sounds like I'm gonna try it with a panko crust, frozen, then deep-fried 
biggrin.gif

As much as I do roasted pork belly using the fattest blocks I can find, apart from the crispy skin, beef fat is a lot tastier. I usually ask the butcher in a local, slightly more upscale grocery chain to cut me 1.5in steaks from the whole striploin, but I always ask that he either doesn't trim them. I take the steaks to the party and trim them on the spot, so much of the fat removed that it ends up looking like it came from further to the back of the cow's sirloin area, and then heat up the cast iron. Instead of putting a spoonful of oil before it gets to searing temp, what I do is toss in the huge chunks of fat into the skillet, where they will render and leave behind toasted carnivore popcorns (seriously). I take those fat poppers out and drain excess fat, and then sear the steaks on the rendered fat. I then serve the fat poppers seasoned with pepper (really, no need for salt here) and serve them with the steak.

One friend ended up grabbing his head and leaning against his chair, and his blood pressure that night jumped to well over 150/110. Well I did tell everyone to have just one or two pieces of that tender fat.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Sounds delicious. The fat that I ate in the picture is actually raw fat thats treated with salt which has a different somewhat slimy texture. It can be a little more challenging to eat it. I think however, it is possible to cook it. I'm learning about Russian foods now. Even though it's not popular, I find it interesting. But the Russians love it and when I eat it, I want to be like a Russian. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds delicious. The fat that I ate in the picture is actually raw fat thats treated with salt which has a different somewhat slimy texture. It can be a little more challenging to eat it. I think however, it is possible to cook it. I'm learning about Russian foods now. Even though it's not popular, I find it interesting. But the Russians love it and when I eat it, I want to be like a Russian. 

Try it as I described above - basically treat it like deep fried butter. Cut up the salo, maybe season with pepper, then coat with cornstarch, egg, and panko; then just freeze it so the breading sticks better and it doesn't melt completely once tossed into the fryer. And let us know how it turns out 
biggrin.gif

If it's great you can sell it at the next state fair!

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
It sounds amazing and actually logical to coat it since the panko coating can protect the fat from melting too much. If I read correctly, salo can be cooked.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone already tried it with good success somewhere in Russia or Eastern Europe. I would try it with a little hot sauce since I also love spicy. Sounds good.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Sounds good. I went back to the store and bought some more, I love pork fat.

I always enjoy it with the skin - here's what I do every (L)NYE. Used to get roast duck for the other new year, but I'm cheap.

Oh and here's what we did with the beef fat - these steaks only look lean...

...and here's the pork fat on the flat top where I'm also crisping up shredded roast pork in pork fat.

The beef fat poppers were gone within a minute, so I'm gonna use a stock photo from a local steakhouse:

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 13
  What's the point of living if you can't enjoy something nice every once in a while.

That's why I buy untrimmed (ie just cut from the roast block) porterhouse or striploin, trim the fat cap to the point of making it a very "lean" steak, and then toast the fat to make fat poppers while rendering it, and if I'm using a skillet, I'll still end up searing the steak in its own fat 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back