If you have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen Ipod...good for you. check this out.
Jun 10, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 13
I got something in the mail about this a week ago. Need to read all the details
icon10.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 13
i dont seem to be following. what is going on? is it bad? i dont understand what this claim is!

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Basically, some people sued because Apple's battery life (in the single-charge and lifetime sense) was not what Apple advertised it to be. Apple settled the lawsuit in order to avoid a long court fight it wasn't sure it could win.

My $.02 on the whole matter - I think this was an issue that got way overblown. Yeah, the battery life (in the single-charge sense) wasn't what it was cracked up to be, and that kind of sucks. However, tech companies overpromise all the time, how is this any more egregious than any other unmet overhyped claim? Also, I'm sure battery life wasn't a priority to the vast majority of buyers. As for battery life in the lifetime sense...come on people, Apple engineers aren't supermen. Lithium-ion batteries have limited lifespans - that's the nature of the beast. Laptop batteries last 2-2.5 years at best, and you don't see any lawsuits over that. Should Apple have made the battery user-replaceable? Perhaps. Would that have been a major factor in many people choosing the iPod over another player? Absolutely not. I almost wish Apple would have decided to fight this one, but I'm sure the legal fees involved in that would far outstrip the settlement cost.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 13
i dont understand, the battery is user replacable. so easy to do....oh well.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
My $.02 on the whole matter - I think this was an issue that got way overblown. Yeah, the battery life (in the single-charge sense) wasn't what it was cracked up to be, and that kind of sucks. However, tech companies overpromise all the time, how is this any more egregious than any other unmet overhyped claim?

most hardcore tech ger is sold to hardcore techies, who care more that it has amazing sq, and unbeatable style. sadly some of it falls into the hands of people whop dont acknowledge compromise.
Quote:

Also, I'm sure battery life wasn't a priority to the vast majority of buyers. As for battery life in the lifetime sense...come on people, Apple engineers aren't supermen. Lithium-ion batteries have limited lifespans - that's the nature of the beast. Laptop batteries last 2-2.5 years at best, and you don't see any lawsuits over that. Should Apple have made the battery user-replaceable? Perhaps. Would that have been a major factor in many people choosing the iPod over another player? Absolutely not.

i disagree with this, and the user replaceable issue. making the batt user replaceable WOULD be a large decision to most people. a very large chunk of the reasont eh i-have-one too-pod is soo small and sleek is that it dosnt need to accomidate a user replaceable battery. my nomad zen (80gb) has innards that are the same physical size as an i-have-one-too-pod's innards (excluding battery) and accomidations for a more complex battery system. EVERYONE who sees my zen tells me its larger than the i-have-one-too-pod that they have. some even go so far as to call it chunky, and bricklike.

most laptop mfr's clearly state their battery expected lifespans somewhere, usually in very fine print. people do complain and moan, and they just say "read that-what was written when you bought it and ****."

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 13
I received claim forms for my 2 and 3g iPods earlier this week. Mine are all working well, so I won't be filing, but Apple's estimated cost is as much as $100,000,000. As someone with a fairly sizable investment in Apple stock I hate to see them roll over in these often ridiculous CA cases.

I'd also like to see them put an end to this myth that iPod batteries aren't user replaceable. They could do so by simply linking to any of the sites selling the batteries and which contain the demo videos. The batteries, some of which last more than 20 hours, can be easily replaced by almost anyone in five minutes or so. Those who continue to claim otherwise are either grossly uninformed or are operating on another (and very unhelpful) agenda.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
I'd also like to see them put an end to this myth that iPod batteries aren't user replaceable. They could do so by simply linking to any of the sites selling the batteries and which contain the demo videos. The batteries, some of which last more than 20 hours, can be easily replaced by almost anyone in five minutes or so. Those who continue to claim otherwise are either grossly uninformed or are operating on another (and very unhelpful) agenda.

They mean not officially. And in a legal case, not officially means not at all.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
They mean not officially. And in a legal case, not officially means not at all.

No, what it means is that if you break it in the process of changing the battery the warranty will not cover the damage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back