1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

If you had $500... Would you get the RS-2?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by kinky, Sep 11, 2012.
Next

Last
  1. Kinky
    The RS-2 is on-sale locally near me for $499.99. 
    Would you consider picking it up?
    What is the best bang for your buck headphone around $500...
    I've spent too much on IEMs, planning to get a headphone for desktop/laptop use with my E17.

2. viralcow
    On sale for $500? That's actually $5 more than what you can find online.

3. fortitude
    HE-400 is an amazing value for $400 and does pair well with an E17.

Night Crawler likes this.
  4. MorbidToaster
    I wouldn't buy an RS 2 if you gave me the money to do it. :D

For 500? Maybe a used HE500...used D7000, HD600...HD650...

5. MalVeauX
    Quote:

Heya,

Since you're in Canada, that changes a few things.

But I still would not get the RS2 for $500. I would instead save a hair more and nab a pair of HE-500's used from the for-sale forum, or I would look to a new Hifiman HE-400. Or maybe look into other headphones in the 300~400 area that are full size and different from anything you have.

Very best,

6. musicinmymind
    +1 for HE-400,

and I spend more to get Lyr+Bifrost, they pair awesome with HE-400

7. jackwess
    Quote:

The HE-400 doesn't need much power. 

8. musicinmymind
    Quote:

Hmm, I was using HE-400 with E17 for more than 6 months and now moved to Lyr, found they scale up real well...they are orthos and scale with more power

9. Eric_C
    If I had $500 I would buy the HE-400 new instead, for $399+ $10 (velour pads) + shipping.

But I don't have $500...because I spent it on the HE-400.

10. MalVeauX
    Quote:

Hrm,

Almost $900 for a setup to run a $400 headphone.

Yea, I don't recommend that. More like, get a $900 headphone, and a $400 setup to run it maybe.

For that cost, you can just go high-end frankly.

Very best,

11. MorbidToaster
    Most 'high end' systems are built that way in the headphone world (especially orthos).

Plus everyone could use a quality source no matter how cheap your cans are.

Quote:

12. musicinmymind
    HE-400 on Lyr is simply spectacular, it requires a bigger voltage gain than the impedance specs would suggest....this is setup I can live with for a long long time.
    Lyr makes big difference for busy music passages....HE-400 sound much more refined with lot more "air"

13. olegausany
    Quote:

Or if you want to save some money and/or don't want to deal with tubes get Asgard but definitely go for HE-400 instead of Grado

14. machoboy
    In that price range I would rather try the HiFIMANs, modded Fostex stuff or high-end Sennheisers. That's just me.

As far as the how much your headphones should cost vs how much your source/dac/amp/etc setup should cost, I would personally spend more on the rig.

Now for a normal person, who just bought one pair of headphones and stuck with them for 20 years, I'd say just find a basic rig that they sound good with and enjoy.

However, the way Head-Fiers go through headphones (buy, sell/return/trade, buy, sell/return/trade, repeat), it just seems like getting an unquestionably awesome output rig off the bat is a worthwhile investment, since its the benchmark all of your headphone retention will be based on.

15. priest Contributor
    Yes on the RS2i. Still one of my favorite headphones.

Next

Last