If you had $100 at headroom. . .
Oct 7, 2002 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
What would you buy? Keep in mind this is stricly $100, so the cardas are out, as much as I would like them.
frown.gif
Would you buy grado sr-60s? sr-80s? Beyers? What would you do?

wink.gif
And if I decide before the middle of October, that would be great.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 25
andrezjpw, from what I've read of your posts, I get the impression that you don't like the Grado sound much. If you didn't like the RS-1 when you heard it, you probably won't like any of the Prestige Series 'phones either.

I'm sure you agree that the next step in improving your system is a HD600 cord replacement. Save your cash for that.

kerely

Oct 8, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 25
Kerely: the thing is, I have a gift cert I have to use before the 17th, iirc. I want the cables, I really do. But let's say some "parental figures" think I'm crazy. :-/

The thing about grados: I'm thinking I might learn to like the sound. . .

Oct 8, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 25
Take out a loan.
wink.gif

Nah, really, I'm not trying to discourage you -- I'm a big Grado fan. But really it'd be a shame to spend the gift certificate on something you don't really want when it would cover two thirds of the cost of the Cardas. Maybe buy a Grado SR-80 and sell it and save the cash toward the cable. Or ask the guys at HeadRoom if they'll give you more time to use the certificate -- they seem like pretty nice guys.

Of course, you just might like the SR-80. Who knows. I still like mine, even if they haven't been getting much use since my HP-2 got here.

kerely

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 25
Cables? Do you have any use for an extension cord for your headphones? Upgrade your inteconnects?
That or the Grado's.

Free is a very good price.

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 25
I'd go for the Grados as well. If you don't like them, you can always return it before 30 days, right?

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 25
I'd toss in $30 bucks and get a Traveler bag. Of course, it helps to have a Cosmic-shaped amp (send me an email if you want a suitable case for your META42)

I would've done so already, except that Todd used my gift cert towards the Wheatfield when we bought it (and since my dad was buying the Wheatfield, he technically owes me still $100... :rolleyesL
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 25
andrzejpw, see if they can dig up any pairs of KSC-35 around the HeadRoom offices. Get three pairs or so, then sell them on Head-Fi, where they're in great demand
biggrin.gif
Then you can save the money until you get enough for your cables
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
btw, how are clou blues? Would it be worth it?

I would buy them if I had the money. Hey, you will lose it if you don't use it and they are better than the stock cable at least (so I've read).

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

btw, how are clou blues? Would it be worth it?

If they are anything like the Reds, yup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back