If you don't like grados...
Feb 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
you must not be using flats or listening loud enough.
/truth  

smily_headphones1.gif

Or...you live in europe and thus would have to pay double. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
/truth  

smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, they're overpriced for what you get in the US.  I don't like the inexpensive one's sound signature and I'm not all that impressed with the sound signature of the more expensive ones, which are all more than I pay for a headphone anyway.  I've not heard the highest end ones.  I also can't stand the comfort and the ones I've listened to have had all types of pads.  The only pair I've tried that were comfortable had a pair of very old, very worn out pads.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
/truth  

smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, they're overpriced for what you get in the US.  I don't like the inexpensive one's sound signature and I'm not all that impressed with the sound signature of the more expensive ones, which are all more than I pay for a headphone anyway.  I've not heard the highest end ones.  I also can't stand the comfort and the ones I've listened to have had all types of pads.  The only pair I've tried that were comfortable had a pair of very old, very worn out pads.

The only ones I actually tried were SR325s. Liked them, but even after ten minutes in the store my ears hurt, and they looked like they were falling apart by looking at them. Well, liked them for rock, but classic-wise they were worse than most headphones I ever heard and certainly anything in that pricerange I know. 

And then if you think the US-prices suck get this: SR60s in Germany:139€ = 189USD 

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 40
Grado's dont change to suit your head, your head changes to suit them.

It took me about 2 weeks, to build up the "calluses" so to speak. After which time there is no longer discomfort. I will admit however, that the initial adjustment time in the begining was mildly discomforting
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a positive that the sound kept me coming back to them, for my head to adjust to them. Now I do not even notice they are on my head.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #22 of 40
What are you listening to it exactly? They excel in one genre that I need them to excel in, rock. If you didn't buy grados to listen to rock, you're doing it wrong IMO. AKG,Sennheiser and Beyers just do not do it for me with it comes to that genre then again I am very picky about how the drums and guitars have to sound. Your other complaints are reasonable but overblown.

Quote:
I don't like how they don't sound that special. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 40
listen to this song will the grados:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

then clean your trousers up and tell us what you think.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:
Grado's dont change to suit your head, your head changes to suit them.

It took me about 2 weeks, to build up the "calluses" so to speak. After which time there is no longer discomfort. I will admit however, that the initial adjustment time in the begining was mildly discomforting
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a positive that the sound kept me coming back to them, for my head to adjust to them. Now I do not even notice they are on my head.

LOL You built calluses, I didn't. My ears looked red and dented. I was in pain when I touched them with my fingers. In other words, Grado's not built for me. Sound-wise, nor build-wise. I just didn't like them-period- and Grados are not the only "rock" headphones. There are a few headphones that excel at rock over any Grado, but they are rare and can be expensive. I guess Grados can be the "rock" headphones for the average guy.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #25 of 40
I would like to know which ones. I'll admit grados aren't the most comfortable but the sound always keep inviting itself back onto my head.

Quote:
There are a few headphones that excel at rock over any Grado, but they are rare and can be expensive. I guess Grados can be the "rock" headphones for the average guy.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #26 of 40
I realize it's not a thread for other brands, but as far as I know and read, three headphones come to mind. Audio Technica W11R, the Audio Technica L3000, and the Audeze LCD2. I have not heard the L3000 nor the LCD2. The W11R, however, is one of the best headphones I've heard for rock, though not necessarily just rock.

Quote:
I would like to know which ones. I'll admit grados aren't the most comfortable but the sound always keep inviting itself back onto my head.

Quote:
There are a few headphones that excel at rock over any Grado, but they are rare and can be expensive. I guess Grados can be the "rock" headphones for the average guy.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #27 of 40
The two main reasons I've found people don't like Grados (regardless of pad choice) is lack of neutrality and comfort. I returned my SR225i for both these reasons. At the time I was seeking out a set of reference headphones (though I guess I didn't know it yet), and Grado ain't it. However, now that I have some cans that would qualify as "reference," I wouldn't mind having those Grados back again for a little color now and again.

The Grado sound could never be confused with accuracy or neutrality. But, as long as those aren't major considerations, there's nothing wrong with a little fun. Audio should be about enjoyment, not an accuracy yardstick. That said, we shouldn't lose sight of what is accurate and what is not, but we also shouldn't discount something like a Grado, which makes no claims to offer anything but an enjoyable audio experience.

My $0.02.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #28 of 40
I have the doughnut, and flat pads, IMO they feel the same, one just makes them sit a bit further from your ear, I have no issues with comfort, they don't clamp tight, the headband doesn't bother me so I have no idea why people say they are uncomfortable. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
I have the doughnut, and flat pads, IMO they feel the same, one just makes them sit a bit further from your ear, I have no issues with comfort, they don't clamp tight, the headband doesn't bother me so I have no idea why people say they are uncomfortable. 

Everyone's heads are different.  I also couldn't deal with the discomfort of the HD580 which most people find comfortable. But I have no problem with the HD280 Pro which most people can't stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back