If you don't like grados...
Feb 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

beez

100+ Head-Fier
you must not be using flats or listening loud enough.
/truth  

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 40
I like that Grados leak sound...that way I can spread the word on how awesome they are. Jumbos FTW though.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 40
Or... you like a neutral sound and a modern design.

I understand older grados are much more neutral though, but whichever Grado it is now certainly changed that.

Also IMO the comfort is horrendous and the design is atrocious for this kind of money.

my 2c.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
Also IMO the comfort is horrendous and the design is atrocious for this kind of money.

my 2c.

I sold my first grados because of comfort. I came back to them because of their sound.

sold mine because they hurt the outside of my ears (granted I wore many earrings then) and the bright sound fatiguing my ears sealed the deal. Pain inside and outside was no good for 400$ SR 325i.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 40
did you try them with flats? they're not really bright.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

my 2c.

I sold my first grados because of comfort. I came back to them because of their sound.

sold mine because they hurt the outside of my ears (granted I wore many earrings then) and the bright sound fatiguing my ears sealed the deal. Pain inside and outside was no good for 400$ SR 325i.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
did you try them with flats? they're not really bright.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

my 2c.

No I did not (would probably have been even less comfortable at the time) and to these ears they really were bright. They are known as the brightest grado if I am not mistaken, to me fair.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 40
I don't like how they're built half-assedly and odds are you will encounter some sort of build deficiency somewhere along the line.  I don't like how there's a special term for driver rattling that plagues Grado's exclusively.  I don't like how the earcups are held by thin metal rods and as time passes these metal rods start sliding off because there's no more grip.  I don't like how they don't sound that special. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 40
I quite like Grados - I've had the SR60i / SR225 / SR325i / SR325is and GS1000, as well as Alessandro MS2 and MS2i

Couple of things though :

1) Cable design. Bloody awful. I *love* chunky cables, but I should not, for £300, be afraid of the earcups turning around too much and the cables splitting.
2) Overall build quality. Questionable - I've had a new pair of SR325i with tooling marks in the metal, and GS1000 with cracked wood on them.
3) Comfort. There is simply no excuse for the sandpaper-like bowls Grado use on some of their heavier bodied models (SR325/325i/325is and Alessandro MS2/i)

There is no excuse for a pair of £300 headphones being too uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 mins. I mean I tried bending the headband, which made them too loose to lay down with (and still sandpaper like on my ears!), and I tried all sorts of 'mods', but just gave up.

Which is a shame, because in all honesty I thought the sound out of them (the 325is in particular) was exactly what I was looking for, and even better that they didn't need amping - but what was the point where I was in pain using them?

If I had one word of advice for Grado, it would be that they - in all honesty - they've got the sound quality of their lineup sorted - now must come the time to work on comfort and build quality? Perhaps a bit more work on ear cushion material or designs, perhaps even drawing from DIY ideas here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back